iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fried Grits

Started by Dodgy Loner, April 29, 2013, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Don't throw out those leftover grits. Just pour them into a bread pan and stick them in the fridge until they set up. Then slice into 1/2"-3/4" thick slices and bread them in flour, salt, and pepper.

Pour 1/2" of vegetable oil into a pan and heat it up so it's hot enough but not too hot.

Cook until they're golden brown on one side, then flip them over until the other side is done.

Mmmm....Suppertime! digin_2

My wife and I like them with ketchup. You can mix cheese into the grits before you pour them into the bread pan for fried cheese grits. Yum!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Yum is correct Dodgy.  We also slice and fry day old cornbread.  Matter of fact, anything Southern is good fried.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

We are gonna burn that New York thing out of you yet, Bill. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Some people eat worms some grits neither is right. :D

I had pintos, catfish, hush puppies and collards yesterday for lunch.....

Dodgy Loner

Replace the pintos with cheese grits and you'd have a decent meal ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Axe Handle Hound

A question for grits-loving Southerners....is there a particular type of corn that makes the best grits?  Not being a grits officiando myself I'm just curious if there's a traditional variety of corn that makes the best grits or maybe there's a particular grind? 

thecfarm

Makes the best grits???????? How do figure that one??????????  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

Grits is grits.  Where they shine is with ham, eggs, home fries, red eye gravy, biscuits, and coffee early on a cool morning.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

All restaurant serve white grits, but we prefer yellow.  We also prefer yellow cornmeal for cornbread.

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 29, 2013, 09:29:33 AMI had pintos, catfish, hush puppies and collards yesterday for lunch.....

Bill, Hushpuppies are made from cornmeal and are essentially grits.  Just cooked differently.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

elk42

Name all the things that is made from ground corn
   1 hand cleaner
   2 fried cornbread

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Dodgy Loner

Ours are stone-ground yellow grits from a small grist mill in North Georgia. It has been running continuously since the late 1800s. Any grits is good grits, but yellow grits is better grits. And stone-ground is even better :)

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2013, 02:40:38 PM
All restaurant serve white grits, but we prefer yellow.  We also prefer yellow cornmeal for cornbread.

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 29, 2013, 09:29:33 AMI had pintos, catfish, hush puppies and collards yesterday for lunch.....

Bill, Hushpuppies are made from cornmeal and are essentially grits.  Just cooked differently.   ;D

Not these they were made from something else like a corn fritter and sweet.  :D Plus they were good :D :D

Bogue Chitto

I would put some butter and cane syrup on those. 

coxy

WDH

:D :D :D :D :D

The grits bashers have been stirred up !
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Wonder how many of the bashers are bashing something that they have never actually tasted  ???

JohnW

Quaker brand grits is the only thing I can find in stores around here, which is white grits.  I was under the impression that it is ground homony corn.  I found myself in Rock Hill, South Carolina this last February, and driving  home I was looking for a good breakfast place to sample some local grits.  I finally ended up at Denny's, where they could have paid a little more attention when they were cooking their white grits, and geeze, do add a little salt.

I just got off a fried grits kick.  Now I boil them one breakfast at a time.

We've got a mill near here at Spring Mill state park, where they mill corn and sell corn meal, but I think that's too fine for grits, isn't it?

thecfarm

This basher has tasted.  ;)  There is a post somewheres about that bad day in thecfarm's life.  ;D

sawguy21

I tried them at Denny's, only place I have seen them north of 49. Not overly impressed, sorta like canned cream corn. Probably instant and nuked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

We can not get Quaker yellow grits anymore. 

This is the brand that is available in our stores.  I never put anything but salt, pepper, and butter on my grits.  Well OK, sometimes a couple of medium fried eggs on top goes mighty well.

Growing up, many times a bowl of grits was the only thing between us and hungry.  Sometimes when Mom would not have any grits, she cooked cornmeal and called it mush.  I never really cared for mush, but again, we had to eat something.

Paul_H

We eat Bob's Red Mill too.Good alongside fried ham and eggs and butter.
Going to try the fried grits.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Raider Bill

It's sad to say that my Son  [wildbill] actually likes them and ordered them and ate them once in front of me.  :o I'm thinking it's from his mothers side. ::)
He's really a good guy except for that..

Magicman

Say what you will about the South and it's food, but no one retires and moves to the North.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!