iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longest bar for an 075

Started by oldsaw-addict, April 21, 2004, 06:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

This may seem to be a slightly dumb question but I'm trying to get as much of the information as I can about the 075 and its capabilities before I go out and buy a bar only to find its not right for the saw. so heres my question, what is the longest effective bar length for a Stihl 075? I'm thinking a 36'"would suit it nicely for milling but I would like to know how long the longest bar would be that a single 075 could handle. Thanks for all your help guys, This save me an argument with the moron at the saw shop. I swear that guy doesnt know a darn thing about pitch and gauge of sawchains, he thinks its all in half inches, when in reality its measured in hundredths and thousandths of an inch. Well Thanks in advance for your input.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

The 36" is pretty much standard with the 3/8 pitch but when you add the word effective that would depend on what you were cutting.
Are you thinking going longer or shorter?

oldsaw-addict

Possibly longer and I'm cutting mostly pine trees.

Kevin

How's the bar oil output on that saw?
A longer bar is going to get thirsty.
What length can you get by with?

Stan

Using an Alaskan you can usually mill about 6" less than the length of your bar. Do you get many logs with more than a 30" diameter? I think you could get a 40 or 42 inch bar on a 36" mill.  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

oldsaw-addict

I was thinking the same thing. I'll be adding an auxillary oiler to the bar when I set up my mill, right now I'm just figuring out what I can get by with. Its all in the planning stages right now, I'd hate to go out and buy a bar then have to take it back because it didnt do what I wanted it to.

iain

the 75 has a push button in front of the top handle for extra oil when milling its just right for right thumb usage

Kevin

When milling with the chain saw I use the mini mill and remove the side slabs after taking the top of the log off which makes it uniforn, smaller to mill which requires a shorter bar and cleaner because the chain isn't cutting bark with every cut made.

oldsaw-addict

You know, I never thought about doing it your way Kevin, but I can see how that would be easier to do and how it would make things go better. Thanks for the idea.

Gilman

Iain,
I just got a 075 this weekend for a case of MGD.  8)

You mentioned, "the 75 has a push button... for extra oil..."  Is the button really an "extra" oil button?  Do they have an aditional automatic pump like a regular chainsaw?

Thanks in advance,

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

StihlDoc

A 36" bar on an 075 is a good match. A 42" or 48" can also work but is pushing the upper limits on this engine for ripping applications. A .404" pitch chain was the standard on this machine although 3/8" sprockets are available. You may have to hunt a little to find a 3/8" sprocket tip bar in longer lengths that fit the 075 bar mount (STIHL 3002) unless you run a hard tip bar which I do not recommend, especially for ripping.

StihlDoc

Gilman,
Ian is correct. The 075 has an addtional manual oiler with the plunger mounted under the front handle as well as an auto oiler. The manual oiler can be used when you want an extra shot of lube delivered to the cutting attachment.

Gilman

Thanks Doc & Ian,
I assumed since it had the plunger, it didn't have an auto oiler.  You would have grinned ear to ear watching me pump away the first time I used it.  I was cutting table tops by cross cutting a 60" fir for a customer.  Trying to cut straight and keep that bar oiled taxed me :D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

The long and short of it.

After pain, sweat and frustration... smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

I learned that an auxilliary oiler was a must!
           My first 32" thick Cherry Bark Red Oak taught me that one. :-\
           With one run down the log, the inboard oil tank is empty, if
            you have it opened up sufficiently for this heavy work.
I learned that a coolant/lubricant system was a must!
           My first 30" thick sappy Yellow Pine taught me that one. :'(
           It smoked my chains and cooked that stuff on so hard, that
            it took Easy-off oven cleaner to get the chain clean.
           Made a homemade system for that problem and mixed PineSol in water.
I run an 090 with a 41" Stihl Rollomatic on a 36" Alaskan mill frame.

This combo WORKS! smiley_hardhat

Asking a 075 to do more than this would be asking too much in the milling arena.
I use 404 chain on the 090, so if you use 3/8 you would be on even ground.
(090s have a nasty habit of breaking smaller chains, especially milling 24" Hickory or Pecan.)

Work hard!   Have fun!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thanks to E-bay I can now do chain-saw milling with each hand...

an 090 on a 36" Alaskan mill to the left (which I have had a couple of years) smiley_sweat_drop
an 090 on a 36" Alaskan mill to the right (which I got today on E-bay) smiley_sweat_drop

Now, if someone can help me find a top notch 56-60" double-ender to fit
these two Stihl 090s I can really kick up some chips when I want to!  8)

Got one, anybody?  I'll be watching out.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

sawguy21

That sould be fun. Too much power is just enough ;D. How are you going to time one saw to run backwards?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

twoodward15

Phil, there's one on e-bay right now I think.  Type in "stihl chainsaw" in the box and it'll be on the 5th or 6th page I think!!  It's a 60 incher for $60 right now.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thank you very much TWoodward.

He, SawGuy,   both engines run in normal tree-felling position and both run normal rotation. :P

I'll try to post a pic. from an old Sperber Chainsaw Mill brochure from the early 80s.  Its shows
two fine femi-*nines sawing about a 40" Claro Walnut log and they ain't even busty dusty looking.
Praise the good Lord for hard-working women!

* (Hey, any lady who can run a Stihl 090 is at least a "nine.") ::)

Phil L.                 No puns intended? :D

sawguy21

I don't wanna mess with a lady who can run an 090.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gilman

The upside would be that if you fell asleep in your lazy boy, she could pick you up and carry you to bed.  ;D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

But when you got there, she might hurt you!   ::)   :-*

Thank You Sponsors!