iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Michigan fishing trip?

Started by Nomad, April 27, 2013, 05:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Looking for some suggestions from other folks here.  I'd like to sample some of the fishing in the northern part of the state.  My target date is mid June for about a week.  I'm only bringing my canoe this trip, so I'm looking for lakes and ponds under 500 acres or so. 
     I'll have my girlfriend with me, so I'm looking for an area with a number of smaller lakes and Mom and Pop type motels.  Decent shore fishing access would be nice for days the weather doesn't cooperate enough for the canoe.
     I figure anything from mid state to the eastern half of the Upper Peninsula is within range.
     Smallmouth and Walleye are a couple of my favorites.  Panfish are always fun.  Remote areas are just fine.  (Pam handled a northern Ontario fishing camp no problem.)
     Anybody got suggestions on where to try in your find state?

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jeff

You are pretty much describing my area right here.  The Harrison city motto is "Twenty Lakes in Twenty Minutes".  Most all of them have private access. Within 25 minutes of us is the largest inland lake in Michigan, Houghton Lake witch is sometimes called Michigan's Fish Factory. The eastern U.P. has a limited number of smaller lakes but lots of fishing on the big water and streams.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Yoopersaw

Hit the Munising area and you'll be set.

Jeff

That's not the eastern u.p. though.

Nomad

Yoopersaw, I don't doubt that the fishing around Munising is outstanding.  Unfortunately, that's an hour or so's drive further than I was planning to go.  (Ya gotta draw a line somewhere, right?)
     Jeff, isn't Harrison in Clare county?  That's actually one of the ones I've been looking at, along with a few counties a bit further north.  They sound promising.
     I don't get a chance to do much fishing up north any more, and I miss it.  I'm looking forward to this!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jeff

Yes, Harrison is the county seat for Clare county.

doctorb

I'm finding this thread extremely interesting.  Combined with the Pig Roast.....what's not to like?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Corley5

Cornwall Flooding east of Wolverine in the Pigeon River Country State Forest is one of if not the best fishing spot in these parts.  Bluegill, yellow perch, large mouth bass, northern pike, and a few remaining tiger muskies.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!