iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Initiation complete ?

Started by Happycamper, April 26, 2013, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happycamper

Log dog with new blade last month and a nail today hopefully completes the initiation. Making the little 10 work hard in another 21" fir log today.
                                   Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Magicman

Oh no, you will not get off that easy.  There is much more to come.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 26, 2013, 10:44:31 PM
Oh no, you will not get off that easy.  There is much more to come.   ;D

:D :D :D :D Too funny Magic.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

That stuff doesn't go away just because you did it once!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scully

I never hit just a nail ! I hit clusters of them ! If your gonna distroy a blade ,might as well realy do it up good !
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

Did someone say "cluster".   :D

Wire fence in a Walnut log.

Just a few nails.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Nobody ever puts just one nail into a tree. :(
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Happycamper

Wow,
  Thanks for the encouragement. I was very lucky as the blade only touched the dog and when it hit the nail only one tooth got punished and it continued to saw well, there actually shouldn't be any metal in these logs as they are all peelers from deep in the forests. I had just cleaned the log with gloves on and a brush but missed the nail.
  MM, just a few nails, I'll bet that made your day and the customer ended up with some knife material that he purchased.
                                    Jim

Jim

thecfarm

Initiation complete ? Not yet. You have to try to try to cut one of your log stops in half.  ::)
I marked lines on my stops with the inches on it. So when I'm cutting my logs or flitches and I have the log stop at 6 inches I know not to go below 6 with the head. The marks are really about a ½ lower than what is marked. So if the head is at 6 the dog is really 5½ off the bed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

cfarm,
  can't wait for that one. Actually have come very close on 2 occasions but stopped just in time.
                                     Jim

thecfarm

You will have to show me "the stop just in time" trick  :D
I "hit" one once. I just BARELY scrapped the paint off the top. That blade was done cutting.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

As far as I'm concerned, you became one of us when you pulled the first board off the mill!

As long as stuff happens to the log & the mill and not to you, you're doing fine.  You'll likely lose a finger nail or two, and have some minor cuts, bruises & dislocations but try to stay out of the ER!  Happy (& safe) sawing.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Nomad

Quote from: thecfarm on April 27, 2013, 09:52:02 AM
I "hit" one once. I just BARELY scrapped the paint off the top. That blade was done cutting.  ::)

Took the set out of the teeth quick, didn't it? :D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

gotta laugh with the rest ;D  the topic "initiation complete?"  emphasis on the big "?" mark, Murphey's Law has been in affect for many years, not sure of the corollary on this one, but rest assured like a thief in the night there will be more,  your cuts are looking outstanding, and square as well, nice work,  happy for you!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Happycamper

david,
Thought the ? would get a rise. There is hardly a time when I saw that something different takes place to keep me on my toes. Thanks for the complement on sawing. I'm getting the "hang" of it better.
cfarm,
  (just in time is easy) when you are pushing the mill by hand through a good sized fir. Sawing that stuff does not go fast for me so it is easy to stop as long as I pay close attention.
nomad,
I was surprised it did not really hurt the blade except for 1 tooth and I continued to saw with it working very well. With the manual mill I know immediately when the blade is dull as it becomes very hard to push it through the log plus the sawdust becomes powdery and dusty instead of granular.
                                    Jim

Nomad

Happycamper, lots of times when you cut a nail clean it doesn't hurt the blade much.  Sometimes there will be a curl of metal stuck to one or more teeth.  You can just flick 'em off with a pocket knife and keep cutting for awhile.
     But if you just scrape across the top of metal like thecfarm was alluding to, whether it's on the mill or in the log, the teeth on that side will instantly lose their set.  Then the blade will do strange and wondrous things! :'(
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

rimshot

Yesterday I wheeled the LT10 down the road a mile to the neighbors.  I put up over 300 board feet of Eastern White Cedar for him and pocketed $60.00.  I never hit a nail but some of that darn cedar had been laying in water.  When I had to take the first few trips with the saw head across the log and close to that bark, the blade looked like so many queue tip swabs of cotton instead of steel.  That white fibrous stuff close to the bark would quickly wad up on the saw blade tips and render the mill unusable.  The last time that happened I put a new blade on but this time I took a minute or two to shut down and de cottonize those cotton wads from the blade.  After that, the blade felt nearly new again and I finsihed up his pile of nice cedar for him.  From now on anybody who soaks their cedar in water and expects me to cut it may have to pay cotton removal down time.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

ND rancher

And sometimes it gets interesting what you

hit!!
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

WDH

ND,

You were ashing for trouble with that log  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Yea, the ole, fuzzy muzzy! hate them things, very dangerous if not seen soon enough,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

js2743

Some one carried that nail deep into that forest and if i had to bet on it they didnt only take one with them.

Thank You Sponsors!