iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speeco Splitter

Started by jedc43, April 25, 2013, 07:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedc43

This seems like a real good deal...anyone have any info on this company or this splitter...
                         http://omni-mfg.com/Speeco-35-ton-BS-1450-OHV-Vertical-Horizontal-Log-Splitter-P945323.aspx

mojamboo

I have it under the huskee name from tsc.  Love it.  The detent valve takes some time to warm up, it will return before retracting the cylinder all the eay, but two or three bucked pieces and she us all warmed up and runs like a champ.  Does this more in colder weather, hyd fluid is cold and thicker I imagine. 

Cheaper items like hydraulic band fittings in a couple places, but overall would recommend and buy again.  Good brigs engine.

WH_Conley

I have the same machine under the TSC paint. Can not complain. I would buy again if I was in the market.
Bill

sawguy21

Speeco is now owned by Blount We sell three models, a 22 ton, 28  ton, and a 6 ton electric,  under the Oregon name. Other than some early coupling failures due to engine/pump misalignment they have been good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clww

I have a 28-ton Huskee from TSC. I've split more than four years with it, with few problems. Only thing I've replaced has been the filter and the return hydraulic line that developed a bulge. Had to re-weld the wedge last year after it was cracked. I've split 40"+ diameter wood with it, too. Paid about $1600 for it when I purchased it. No complaints and I would buy another one.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Quote from: mojamboo on April 25, 2013, 08:30:29 PMThe detent valve takes some time to warm up, it will return before retracting the cylinder all the eay, but two or three bucked pieces and she us all warmed up and runs like a champ.   

I have a cub cadet splitter and it does just about the same thing. Takes a few minutes to get it warmed up. It will stop on the return stoke before it's all the way back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pep

I have the 22ton from Tsc.  Make sure the motor mounts are tight.  Everything was loose when first bought.  The fuel tank broke, so I mounted one to the side of the motor, works much better and holds a lot more gas.  Starts well in cold weather, although I use synthetic oil.

Cheers pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Raider Bill

I bought a 3 pt hitch adapter from speeco. Poorly made, welds are breaking because they have very poor penetration and are small.

Looks like china junk. I would be very hesitant before buying from them again.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Axe Handle Hound

I have that exact machine and can promise you it's not junk.   It's gone through at least 40 cords of hardwood firewood, including plenty of elm stumps & crotches, and never missed a beat.  That's not to say there aren't things I would made changes to, but they're nothing serious.  For instance, I wish the ram would extend about 1 more inch so that I didn't have to wrestle with stringy wood that didn't split completely.  I solved this by putting a piece of 1" lumber at the base.   I also wish the wheels were further back along the machine so firewood didn't fall down onto the fenders and dent them up, but that in no way prevents the machine from doing its job.

I think SpeeCo is assembled in the USA from parts made in China, but I could be wrong. 

Raider Bill

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on April 26, 2013, 08:54:03 AM
I have that exact machine and can promise you it's not junk.   It's gone through at least 40 cords of hardwood firewood, including plenty of elm stumps & crotches, and never missed a beat.  That's not to say there aren't things I would made changes to, but they're nothing serious.  For instance, I wish the ram would extend about 1 more inch so that I didn't have to wrestle with stringy wood that didn't split completely.  I solved this by putting a piece of 1" lumber at the base.   I also wish the wheels were further back along the machine so firewood didn't fall down onto the fenders and dent them up, but that in no way prevents the machine from doing its job.

I think SpeeCo is assembled in the USA from parts made in China, but I could be wrong.

I can't speak for anything else they sell but we have had to make several repairs to the unit I bought. It's not even a year old and hasn't been used that much and then only with a box blade or bog har.

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-3-point-quick-hitch-by-Speeco-p/speeco-cat1-qh.htm

r.man

I think that is the most resounding thumbs up for something that I have seen in a while. Looked at the splitter in question on the site and immediately thought it should have a 4 way adapter and then noticed that they sell two for each, a fixed cheaper and an adjustable more expensive model. I personally think that an adapter like that should come with the machine but the world is a different place than I would have it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DeerMeadowFarm

I have a 28 ton Oregon which is made by Speeco. See my review in this forum. I've had issues; some operator error, some poor design, and some faulty materials.

flashhole

Raider Bill - I considered buying that Quick Hitch.  It was the best example of welding by a blind person I'd ever seen.  I took a pass.  I do own the splitter but mine runs off the hydraulics on my Kubota tractor, not a separate motor like the one shown.  It's a great splitter.  I use the wood trick too but I keep a couple of different lengths handy.  It speeds up the travel time on shorter pieces.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

Raider Bill

Quote from: flashhole on June 28, 2013, 12:51:43 PM
Raider Bill - I considered buying that Quick Hitch.  It was the best example of welding by a blind person I'd ever seen.  I took a pass.  I do own the splitter but mine runs off the hydraulics on my Kubota tractor, not a separate motor like the one shown.  It's a great splitter.  I use the wood trick too but I keep a couple of different lengths handy.  It speeds up the travel time on shorter pieces.

Roger that! seems everytime I use it something bends or breaks. I bought it online hind sight I should have sent it back and kept looking.

bmcdowell40

I have the 22 Ton Huskee branded one from TSC.  This its 3rd season and I've had some minor issues with it, nothing major.  The coupler between the motor and pump came loose once, simple fix with allen wrench and some loctite.  The motor mount bolts came loose, again a simple fix with some loctite and socket/wrench.  The fitting on the inlet side of the pump dripped right after I got it, just needed tightened up.

Mine sometimes, is hard to start once its warm.  If I shut it down to take a break, sometimes its hard to start back up.  I've never taken the time to look into this one as its never not started and left me hanging;  its just been difficult and extended my break a little longer.

UniversalFogger

I have the 22 ton TSC version, and couldn't be happier.  I've processed 24 cords through mine in 2 years without any problems.  Starts on the 1st or second pull (briggs.) I put a log catcher on mine, which is great for grabbing the halves of big logs, and for resting logs on that are in the batters box.

Great ergonomics, people love them, especially for the price.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Have the TSC version and have split over 50 cords with it. Love it. Works very well and starts first pull even after 3 years.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

flashhole

My opinion might not count because I bought the version w/o the motor and hooked it to the hydraulics on my tractor.  Great splitter in my opinion.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

clww

I have a Honda motor on my Huskee. I started it up a couple months ago for the first time in at least three months. It started on the first pull, too. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Rickofox

Quote from: pep on April 26, 2013, 08:22:37 AM
I have the 22ton from Tsc.  Make sure the motor mounts are tight.  Everything was loose when first bought.  The fuel tank broke, so I mounted one to the side of the motor, works much better and holds a lot more gas.  Starts well in cold weather, although I use synthetic oil.

Cheers pep

Do you have any pictures of your replacement fuel tank?  I would appreciate seeing what you have!  Thanks!
Rick

wolfen

Speeco and Huskee are made by the same company, Speeco, I would get a Speeco or Huskee, however I wouldn't want ione with a Briggs and Stratton engine, especially one that's a verticle shaft one, to me that's just a lawn mower engine and in 20 years I have had 20 Briggs engines on 20 lawn mowers, that's why when I buy one I'm going to get the North Star 22 ton, here at my house 22 is all I'll need and all North Stars have Honda horizontal shaft engines.

Oh and thank you to the admin people that approved my membership.

thecfarm

wolfen,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wolfen

Thanks:)  I hope I can contribute to this place too, even though I'm a private person not a company I've been alive for 50 years and so far they haven't found anything I can't fix :)

M_S_S

I bought a 25 ton Speeco last year from Big R in Klamath Falls, Ore. It has a Honda engine, the 22 ton and 30 splitters had Briggs on them. Have split probably 100 cord of Juniper ( Junipers have lots of big limbs, therefore lots of Knots). I have not have had any problems with it . Lol my only complaint is that the wedge doesn't come close enough to the butt plate, I have to grab a hunk of wood and put in front of the butt plate on some of the tougher logs. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

beenthere

Add a spacer to the butt plate.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!