iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mine Cart.

Started by old3dogg, April 21, 2004, 09:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3dogg

I have this old mine cart out in the front yard.I drug it home thinking that my wife would want to use it as a planter.We never did.I was outside and decided to start taring it apart to get rid of it.
The bed and cross members are all rotted away but the frame and metal work are all in pretty good shape.It could be restored.Im thinking it is from the 1920's.
I would like to find someone who may want it before I throw the whole thing over the creek bank.
I called every "antique"dealer around me but none seemed interested?
Its free.
I would hate like heck to toss it if someone wanted it.

DanG

Wish I was closer! I'd sure take it off your hands. Sounds like it would be handy around a sawmill. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Ditto, DanG.

Yep, could build me a narrow guage track with a stopper just ahead of the big ravine.  Fill the cart with scrap and give it a push!  It rolls down hill hits the stopper and dumps!

Only kidding folks, I do not fill the ravines with wood scraps ro anyother detrius. ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

old3dogg

The frame work of this cart is made of White Oak.Everything is held together with 7" lag screws!
I stopped counting them when I got to 40.
They sure knew how to build stuff back then.
This is a flat bed cart not the coal cart.I think it was used to haul supplies and what not back into the coal mines.

oldsaw-addict

That sounds like a nice thing to take into your shop and restore to original condition, then throw it on ebay and see how much you get for it. I'm willing to bet that if its made from really good heavy materials and well fastened as you have said, that its probably worth some fairly decent $$$, why not clean it up and sell it on ebay? or you could restore it and set up a track from the shop to where you park your truck and use it to move things off the back of the truck to the shop without having to lug the heavy things much. I can be pretty creative when I want to be. post some pics of it and I may be able to give an idea of what its worth.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Frickman

When I was a kid grandpa had such a cart at the mill. It came out of a mine he hauled into. They'd pile slabs on it crossways and when it was full run it out the elevated tracks a hundred fifty feet or so and dump it. It was set up that it dumped like a wheel barrow, the trucks stayed on the track and only the bed tilted. They'd dump the slabs into a fire pit and burn them. He had the regular steel track and everything. They had to burn slabs because you couldn't even give them away. Now people line up to get them when we saw. I'd like to know what happened to that cart, maybe I'd put it on ebay.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

old3dogg

Thanks for the ideas guys.I have been thinking about a resto job if for nothing else but to keep the history of the thing.Who ever built it sure did know what they were doing.The coolest thing is the wooden brakes.When you pull the handle on the front of the cart two wooden brakes fall over the steel wheels.Kinda neat.
I would love to post some pics of it but I cant seem to crop them down small enough to fit here.
When I found the mine cart it was sitting in a old cool mine about 40 yards back in.I chained it out with a pick up.It was covered in hay so I figured it may have been used to haul hay to feed the mules?
The only problem with ebay is I dont know how I would ship it.I know them folks at UPS arent that tuff :D

ADfields

I had an old ore cart I sold in Arizona back in 1999 before I moved to Alaska.   I put an add in the paper that said make me an offer.   The first day the add came out I was woke up at 5:30am and the guy was at my house by 6am and gave me $2000 for it on the spot. 8) 8)   I took the wife out for a great breakfast but you know the phone drove me nuts all day long with people wanting that DanG thing and I think I sold to fast and to cheep. ::)   I don't know what you have there but I would not be to fast to just junk it. ;)
Andy

ADfields

old3dogg, e-mail me your pix and I will doctor them up for ya and post them hear.   Send them to adfields@mtaonline.net and I will fix ya right up. ;)
Andy

old3dogg

2 grand :o
Id take the wife out for breakfast.Twice!
I will keep looking for someone who may want this thing.
Thanks.

old3dogg

Thanks AD.I will get some picks to you soon.
Mike.

Frickman

old3dogg, shipping is no big deal. There are alot of less-than-truckload companies that will haul anything on a pallet, like PJAX, Yellow. etc. You may have to take it to a terminal, but once it's in their hands it's no big deal. That's what business they're in. Just charge the buyer actual shipping and a couple bucks for a pallet. Some of these outfits will even pickup at your place if you're along a route.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

old3dogg

Thanks Frickman.
I have a friend at work that does all of the shipping.Maybe If I do sell and need to ship I could get her help.
I think she owes me lunch anyway!

Frickman

No problem old3dogg. I ship and receive alot of stuff at the mill and farm. Alot going out is truckload quantities. I just charge the customer the actual freight and send them a copy of the bill. Sometimes I have to ship less-than-truckload. If you don't have an account setup it is kinda awkward in the logistics but I've found most of the trucking companies to be more than helpful. If they're not find someone else. Once again I just charge actual freight and send a copy of the bill. We receive alot of stuff on less-than-load trucks. They're happy to stop at our place because I'm usually waiting at the rear of the trailer with the forklift before the driver gets out of the cab. If you can unload the freight yourself in a few minutes they'll always be happy to come back.

Stan

Whenever I see somethin' cool on e-bay they refuse to ship it, and want me to git it off their place in a week or less.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Fla._Deadheader

Before ya junk it, let's talk WHEELS. Size, width of track contact, bearings, etc. I will need some GOOD, SMALL wheels for the kiln cart. ;) ;)  Shipping wheels would be kinda inexpensive. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

old3dogg

I will go out and get some measurments tommorow.
Still working on pics.
How close are you to Daytona?

old3dogg

Fla.D
I should have read the other post before this one.
If you can use the wheels off this mine cart for a your vac kiln cart then the price just went down for you.
FREE!
May help ease the shipping cost a little.
I'd be willing to bet that these old wheels will still be around a long time after we are gone.
Mike.

Fla._Deadheader

Great price.  ;)  If they are small enough, we are going to Jersey next weekend. That will make S&H better, also.  Let me know ASAP, Ok ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

Should be babbitt bearings but that will be better in a kiln then steel bearings anywoo. ;)
Andy

etat

AD, you gotta watch out for them google bots.  Next time ya post yer email change it just a bit.  Instead of Adfields@........
change the @ to at.  Then when you do post it you can tell the person to change the 'and', to @ to email you.  Helps cut down on these junk mailers picking out your address for foul purposes.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

old3dogg

FLD.
The wheels on the mine cart are 3" wide and 13 " dia.
I dont know if they wood be good for a kiln cart or not.

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o They are Waaayyyyy too big for my Kiln cart. I need something about 3-4" dia. Thanks anyway. It would have been a good deal, though ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

old3dogg

No problem.
Just trying to help out with the vac kiln project.

Fla._Deadheader

The offer was greatly appreciated
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!