iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

044/440 Oiler Mods

Started by AdkStihl, April 25, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdkStihl

Anybody have any tricks or tips to increase oil flow through the stock oilers?
Besides thinning the oil... ;D
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

I know there is a high volume west coast oiler for the 066/MS 660 and I think I heard of one available for the 046/Ms 460 .Now if that's true I'm not certain if the 046 will interchange  with the 044 .

JohnG28

From what I understand the 460 HO oil pump will work on the 361, so it may be compatible with the 044/440 also.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Well just as general conversation I do know some of the older gear driven pumps will interchange such as 028-038-042-048.Although I have no true knowledge it would come as no surprise if the later generation of center drive pumps might have some interchangabilty .

It's just one of those situations that unless you had it laying in front of you it would be just a guess .

Now I've heard of them enlarging the discharge hole very slightly but again I've never done it myself .

Every so often this subject arises and with just speculation it might be possible to lengthen the flat on the pump shaft so it picks up more oil each revolution.It would real handly though were one to experiment as  to have a spare pump in case the experiment doesn't go so well .

AdkStihl

The 046/460 pump is not compatible with the 044/440.
I have both pumps in front of me and they are completely different. Control bolt may be the same, but the pump body and piston pump are different.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Yeah since last I looked at the IPL of both .The drive gear seems too be the only thing common .

Compensation

Get that water hose adaptor for the 461 rock boss. That will lube up the situation. By the way, why do you need more lube? My 440 does great and both tanks run dry the same time
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

AdkStihl

Quote from: Compensation on April 25, 2013, 10:41:36 PM
Get that water hose adaptor for the 461 rock boss. That will lube up the situation. By the way, why do you need more lube? My 440 does great and both tanks run dry the same time

Well consider yourself lucky there Comp..
I guess if all youre running is a 16-20" bar you'll be fine.
I still have 1/2 tank of oil left when I run outta fuel.......but she eats fuel more than most 044's I know  ;)
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

I don't believe oil and water mix well.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Maybe it's either starved for oil on the intake side or restricted  on the pressure side .

I've only had one Stihl that caused me oil problems and that was an 048 .The problem was a tiny little tear on the intake hose .Simple once I found it .

Compensation

Look at my pic. Its a 440 with a 36" bar, have not had smoke rolling off the bar yet. After the pic was taken I had the muffler ported, carb reworked like a mirror and then tuned. Ohh and the oversized dogs  ;). I would give that entire oil system a good clean up. I hope you find a clog or something simple because it sure is nice to fill both tanks at the same time.

John, sure it does. That's how milk is made. Just jokin. :)
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Al_Smith

Dan Henry reworked an 044 for a guy and it ran a 36" bar real well and oiled it. I can attest to that as fact because I ran it myself .

Some times ,repeat some times a person can run part of a tank full of kerosine or diesel fuel through the system and it will clean it up .Quick fix if it works .

JohnG28

Quote from: Compensation on April 26, 2013, 08:20:05 PM

John, sure it does. That's how milk is made. Just jokin. :)
No worries at all. ;D
I do believe the 440 is rated for a 32" bar, so a 36" isn't too far a stretch. As for yours Adk, if the control bolts are the same a swap might be possible to increase the flow from the current one.

bill m

I also run a 36" bar on my 044 and have never had a problem with not enough oil. It sounds like your pump is starving for oil. Flush out the tank with diesel, remove and clean or replace the filter and blow out the hose from the pump back into the tank. You may also need to disassemble the pump and clean that out. It's amazing how much fine saw dust will collect in an oil tank.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Metals406

The oiler can be taken apart and the cam ground for more oil output.

Just start taking it apart (or a spare one) and observe how they work as you go.  You'll see where to grind, and it isn't much.

Thank You Sponsors!