iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Without a Knife

Started by Magicman, April 24, 2013, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

A knife is a tool for me I'm never without one .I'm an electrician so it's kind of a neccessary item unless I skin wire with my teeth . I'm tough but I'm not that tough  .

If you look on flea bay every so often you can find job lots of knives all stuff from the airlines .A lot of Swiss Army style knives probabley made in China like everything else .

Al_Smith

Now this arises a good question .How pray tell would Swampish clean under his finger nails before he picked his nose without a knife?  ???

240b

I think MagicMan had this problem once in CO once 

chevytaHOE5674

When I get up in the morning and put my pants on the wallet/knife/phone go in their pockets first thing. I find myself using my little knife all the time for opening packages, cutting twine, scraping at things, prying stuff, cleaning under my nails, etc. I would be lost without that simple tool.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 24, 2013, 08:36:15 PM
Now this arises a good question .How pray tell would Swampish clean under his finger nails before he picked his nose without a knife?  ???

Finger nail on his other hand.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

A Buck for coarse , risky work.  An Old Timer muskrat  for fine, sharp work ( and occaisional  self surgery) and a brass Zippo.   

Doesn't feel right to not have them all on me.  Wonder what the shrinks say why we're like that?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Tom L

Quote from: Compensation on April 24, 2013, 07:22:17 PM
I think it should be a law that everyone has to have a knife to get on the airplane. Because when one person threatens the lives of others on a airplane, watch what instincts do.

I have a friend who is a lifelong harley davidson rider, is in a club and lives the life of a biker, he goes to all the rallies
and say they are very safe. the reason why? everyone there has a gun or knife on them. no one starts any trouble

Al_Smith

Quote from: Lud on April 25, 2013, 07:08:27 AM
A Buck for coarse , risky work.  An Old Timer muskrat  for fine, sharp work ( and occaisional  self surgery) and a brass Zippo.   

I had to give up on those Zippos years ago .They always seemed to leak just enough to about burn my leg off .

I've got a 4"  engraved rosewood Buck folding hunter the apprenticeship class of 1982 gave to me a token of appriciation for being their instructor .My every day knife is also an Old Timer. I'm not even sure you can get carbon steel any more .People have a thing for 410 stainless but I personally  think good carbon steel makes a much better blade --old school  ;)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 24, 2013, 08:31:24 PM
A knife is a tool for me I'm never without one .I'm an electrician so it's kind of a neccessary item unless I skin wire with my teeth . I'm tough but I'm not that tough  .

If you look on flea bay every so often you can find job lots of knives all stuff from the airlines .A lot of Swiss Army style knives probabley made in China like everything else .

I tried stripping wire with my teeth. Didn't get a good clean edge and my dentist said floss would work better...  :D

SwampDonkey

Utility knife in the toolbox and a wire stripper for other times. Works fine. I just fixed the wiring on an old lamp, no knife required. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

r.man

Flashlight, lighter and knife in right front pocket most of the time. For polite society I will leave the knife in the vehicle, if I think there may be a search. Make light, make fire, make dead, although with the size of knife I carry it would have to be a very small thing that needed to be dead. Maybe it should be " make light, make fire, make irritated."
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Magicman

I had to make a visit to a state office yesterday.  I left the knives at home just in case they had a guard and "basket".  Thankfully, there was neither.  If you visit our local Social Security office, they have a guard but no basket.  The knife has to stay in the car.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I think any more just about any governmental establishments are rather picky on what they consider a weapon  .

Although I might add I did have my knife with me years ago in a state prison of which I was preforming work not incarcerated in case anyone wondered .

crtreedude

I think I am more likely to forget pants than a knife... I use a Swiss Army knife, of the forestry style that has the saw on it. I swear, I use the saw more than anything else.

But the awl is incredibly useful, and so is the screwdriver attachment.

I will say though, I have had better knives for sharpening, I tend to have to use a diamond whet stone, or nothing happens.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

petefrom bearswamp

My Swiss army knife is like the American Express Card, I don't leave home without it.
Took it to the Carrier dome in Syracuse NY to a basketball game, the wand picked it up and I had to surrender it, but was able to get it back after the game.
Had to be accompanied by a staff person to the reclaim area and then to the outside.
they only started this after the Newtown tragedy.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

CHARLIE

I hate flying and since being retired I drive as much as I can.  I've been carrying a pocket knife since 6th grade and am lost without my knife.  Since '76 I've carried a Case peanut.  I also carry either a Buck 110 lockback or a Leatherman depending on where I'm going and what I plan to do, but I'm rarely without my knife.  In fact, I don't understand why someone wouldn't carry a knife.  It's a tool and can cut string, slice tape, open boxes, sharpen a stick, cut cable ties and much more. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

You can even make a spoon when needed.  ;)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scottmphoto

To tell you how long it's been, the last time I flew was in '99, I think. I always have my Gerber Multi-tool on my belt. I was out in Oregon and had to  fly home to Arkansas because my mom went into the hospital. I was in the metal detector line in Portland and took it off, along with my belt, wallet on a chain and emptied my pockets. The TSA guy took it out of the case, looked at it, put it back in the case and handed it back to me. I put it back on my belt and went to the plane. He didn't look at it twice... Those were the days of more intelligence (common sense).

CHARLIE

LeeB, that made me chuckle.  And my knife could've done that, but it didn't.  When I asked if there was a spoon for me, Tom tossed me his Case Trapper and said, "You'll have to make yourself one." :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

Quote from: CHARLIE on April 29, 2013, 12:27:22 AMIt's a tool and can cut string, slice tape, open boxes, sharpen a stick, cut cable ties and much more. 8) 
Stuff needs cutting.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Quote from: CHARLIE on May 02, 2013, 12:39:30 AM
LeeB, that made me chuckle.  And my knife could've done that, but it didn't.  When I asked if there was a spoon for me, Tom tossed me his Case Trapper and said, "You'll have to make yourself one." :)

I'm glad you got a laugh. I hesitated to post it. Sometimes memories can be painful.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I love to talk about and share any of the memories that I have of my only Brother.  I lost Sam 29 years ago. 

LeeB

Losing a sibling is hard. Hardest loss I have ever dealt with.

Thank You Sponsors!