iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Without a Knife

Started by Magicman, April 24, 2013, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I had not flown in over 30 years and certainly knew about the "no knife on an airplane" rule/restriction, so none of my knives were allowed to go to Hawaii.  This thread is not about the reasons for/against, but about being "without a knife".

My knives have changed dramatically over the years and will certainly change more in time, but for now, at least two of the above are always with me.  They are simply tools and very useful in my daily activities.  Pat carries a small locking folder in her purse.

I was already out of my comfort zone by having empty pockets, but having nothing to cut with.  :o  I split and packaged my daily meds, but Pat forgot the splitting part.  How the heck do you split a pill without something sharp??

Those plastic things that secure the tags to clothing.  Some can be pulled apart, but some are really a chore.  Several of the stores had scissors and ask if you wanted them snipped, but some did not.

A fingernail needed attention and my Leatherman Micra has scissors and a fingernail file but it was 4600 miles away.

I had clearly exceeded my comfort level by being without a knife.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

I always take my Swiss Army knife. It just goes in my checked luggage.

LeeB

As Den mentioned, you can always carry one in your checked bag. If you are going to another country, you need to check the local laws. Some countries won't let you bring one in and some limit the type you can bring.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

MM
I believe you can put them in your checked luggage, just not your carry-on.

But then, some touristy places have scanners that one has to go through, and a knife might set it off.

Sorry state of affairs we have experienced over the changing years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yup, but we had no checked luggage.  Everything was "carry on".  That plus boarding the ship had the same security checks that the airport has.

How does one exist without a knife.  They even carried a sharp rock in the stone age.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

240b

Yep, know how you feel. lost my swiss army knife to the friendly TSA folks, totally forgot it was in my pocket. I don't even feel it, because its always there. I'd had that knife for a long time, of course they don't make that model anymore..   I'd like to see some of these people today try to live without their "smart" phones.

justallan1

I carry a Leatherman Wingman, a folding boxcutter (mainly for baling twine) and my 4" cresent EVERYWHERE that I go and would be at a total loss without any of the 3. I'm not sure what I'll do when I have to go to California this summer.
About 20 years ago I was going to a county fair in Yuba City, Ca. and they had wand scanners and were taking everyones knives. If not for my girlfriend and 3 kids I certainly would have turned around and left.
Allan

Larry

Our county courthouse does not allow knives inside and has a metal detector to insure one does not come in.  They make you take it back to your car.

As luck would have it  I had courthouse business to do a few years ago.  The courthouse garage was closed for construction so I had to park miles away on a day when it was over 100 degrees.  When I got to the door, I remembered my little knife was still in my pocket...not a problem.  I snuck behind some bushes and hid my knife intending to retrieve it when I finished my business.  When I walked out the courthouse door, I was surrounded by the SWAT team...well maybe two over aged fat security guards, wanting to know as to what I hid in the bushes.  Interrogation lasted for 10 minutes until I convinced them I was not a terrorist.  They probably put my name on the no fly list from that trick. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Corley5

I'm lost without my Leatherman Kick.  I left it in the processor yesterday afternoon and missed it all last evening.  It got clipped to my pocket as soon as I climbed in cab and before I sat in the seat this morning.  When I was kid and used to fly to Fla in the winter to see my grandparents my Old Timer went in the checked bags.  Went to a concert once upon a time and the security guard told me to throw it in the trash can along with cameras, booze, and other stuff that was prohibited then that others had tossed.  I told him what he could do and walked back out to the truck and put it in cab.  Pretty hard to ban cameras from anywhere now that everybody has one in their phone.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

I've always carried a knife, not a big one but none the less, a knife.

Now, with the sawmill, I would be lost without it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

two-legged-sawmill

With Seven Billion Wacko's to deal with, who can you really trust! The people that are respondible for this are not the working man such as farmers, stevadors,commercial
fisherman, lumber jacks, or anyone else using his hands and mind. I'll change this to,
too lazy to work and on the DOLE! TSA got one of mine once, I now make sure to be
clean. Joke, now in New York State if you have  ten quart pressure cooker your breaking the law if you put more than seven quarts in it!??????
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

saxon0364

Always have my swiss army farmer in one pocket and my old timer stockman (20 years old, from when they were carbon steel and made in the USA) in the other pocket.  Luckily I dont ever go anywhere my tools cant go.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

SwampDonkey

I have knives as well, but I never carry one.  I have one in the car and in drawers at the house. But I never carry. ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Shotgun

I always (!!) have a knife in my pocket.  I have several 'every day carries', and if you can catch me without a knife in my pocket, it will be a rare occasion.  I also collect knives and I am a life member of the Case Collectors Club.  I like working knives, rather than a show knife, but I do have a number of show knives too.  I do have a number of different brands in my collection.  Your life can depend on having a knife.  I'll always be prepared.   ;D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Chuck White

I hear you TLS!

Dumb laws.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LAZERDAN

Not long ago there was another post simalar to this one, everyone loves knives.  Some are gifts some are thier grandpappy's etc.  Coinscidence?  We are headed to the smokey mts. this summer,  so my better half calls the chamber of commerce for some info,  the next thing ya know I get a catalog of knives " Smokey mtn.knife co."  I think.  A knife for every occassion, and a thick Catalog.                                                                                                           There is one post was from a guy, I can"t remember employer or employee but if you carried a knife you would make 10 cents more per hr. because you were worth more.  I have been carrying A knife since I was 10.  Have bucks, gerber, case, leathermans, cheapo's, cheapee's.  For the last 5 yrs. I have the Smith and wesson special ops, I thought ," this ain't gonna last  week"  Guess I was wrong.        Lazerdan    Knife Connoissueur     

Al_Smith

I suppose I've had some form of pocket knife since I was 9 or 10 .It's just a tool not a weapon . My favorite is a stockman style 3 blade carbon steel .

I've also stowed it in the stowed baggage on air plane flights ,no problem .

SwampDonkey

My knives I have are Gerber, Frost and something else I can't recall. But I only use one once or twice a year. One use is making a stylus pen out of a piece of rock maple stem for the touch screen on the GPS. I lost those company styluses years ago. A good rock maple stylus I never loose. :D :D I just don't have much need for a knife since I don't hunt or fish anymore. My saws have files, screw drivers wrenches, I cut weed whacker line with trimmers. Really never need one. I don't live in fear and I'm not too scared of bears and moose. Which a knife may or may not do much good if the bear slaps ya one with a paw before he bites. ;)

I was wondering if that guy with the knife and his 10 cent raise meant that the guy with a smoke in his hand lost his 10 cents standing outside the building for 15 minutes an hour for a drag? Same logic. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Compensation

I think it should be a law that everyone has to have a knife to get on the airplane. Because when one person threatens the lives of others on a airplane, watch what instincts do.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

isawlogs

I would like to know where they put the trash can out at the end of a shift at the airport. Now that would be a dumpster dive worth taking!!!   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

240b

I am pretty sure the gov't puts them all in big bins and sells them off. I have seen big triwall pallets full of them up for sale. 

clearcut

In the Orlando airport and they have a handy box where you could package up your non-permitted item, weigh it, add postage, and ship it to yourself.

They installed this handy box on the "secure" side of TSA checkpoint. Just past the bench you sit on to put your shoes back on. Well past the point where your knife is confiscated.

The TSA recently announced that small knifes would be permitted, however they just rescinded that announcement.

If you are skilled enough to take down an airplane with nail clippers, then you do not need the nail clippers to take down the plane.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Chris Burchfield

MM, To be without a knife I think is a Southern thing.  I don't fly anymore.  Corse I will not be going anywhere but where I can drive.  I know, I'm dull.  Cruise Ships, told wife, it won't happen least while I'm alive.  Ya'll find out she took me after I'm dead, know I will haunt her till her dying day! :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

millwright

I don't think a day goes by that I don't use my Leatherman several times' I would be lost without it.

Thank You Sponsors!