iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Remedy" as herbicide for Pine Stand??

Started by ShepFL, January 22, 2002, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShepFL

New to this forum so if I am posting in wrong area just let me know. This just seemed to be the most active page.

I have some land I have been planting over the years with large caliper, rust resistant slash pine. Plan is to harvest these as saw lumber not pulp wood.

I also have a great deal of "gall berry" brush I want to control chemically. Mechanized control is a continous uphill battle.

I have been thinking of using "REMEDY" from Dow Agrisciences. Label says nothing about pines being affected I am concerned that it may kill of my pines as well as undesirable underbrush.  

Anyone have experience with this herbicide? Seeking comments on this or a good herbicide that is safe to my pine stands yet get rid of "gall berry" and other undesirable underbrush. I have already done a search on this site for herbicides and found very little information.

Thanks,
ShepFL

Ron Scott

Check with EPA listing of what it is approved for and its hazards. Also check with Dow Ago Sciences at www.dowagro.com/homepage/index.htm

You may also check with you local Extension Agent, Conservation District, or DNR Service Forester.

~Ron

Tom

ShepFl,

I have pretty much the same situation and have controlled Gallberry in my "Super Slash" with mowing.  I did use Arsenal for injection to eliminate Water Oak, Lobolly Bay, Black Gum, and Holly to open up the floor for sunlight and pine seedlings.

I attended some seminars several years ago on Arsenal and was told that it does not effect pines, nor does it move in the environment.  It works by inhibiting a protein used by hardwoods for processing sugars and causes them to eventually starve from lack of nutrients.  It is slow but thorough and safe to humans.  Even though I used it for injection, it is supposed to be good for spray and is used for "Release" of pines.

Fire is also a good herbacide and, when used regularly will keep the understory to a minimum.

DanG

Tom and Shep. You two guys are neighbors. Tom, Shep is just outside Jacksonville, in Sanderson. Shep, Tom is just outside Sanderson, in a little place called Jacksonville. Y'all oughta get together. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Thanks Dan,   I will look forward to it.  I have sawed in and around sanderson.  Several times around the Sanderson exit off of I-10.  Perhaps a cup of coffe will be excuse enough. :D

ShepFL

Thanks Y'all for the information. More specifically I am wanting to control the underbrush which is predominately gallberry. Remedy does a great job on CRP land, ditches and broad leaf but the label nor Dow Agroscience mention its affect on pine. Don't want to get hasty with an alternative to mowing - just effective.

I have spoken with local state forestry rep. and they don't even bother with it nor fallen marketable timber (hence runaway wildfires - abundance of fuel in both state & Nat'l forests).

Awaiting response from local Ag. Dept. I am also in contact with some of the paper companies. As they raise pine for profit I am sure they have some herbicidal control mechanisms. I will notify you of my progress.

Fire is out of the question per local forestry rep. - "you don't have enough fuel to sustain a fire". Mowing is what I do now and I am looking for a more efficient means to control this. Once knocked back I plan to plow ground and heavy disk.

Tom - drop me an email sometime. That cup of coffee sounds good as long as I can have pie with mine! I work downtown Jax and live out here in N. Sanderson, as the crow flies 'bout 1/2 from Osceola Nat'l Forest Eastern entrance, driving about 1.5 miles. See C.R. 229.

Thanks again & I will keep you posted.

ShepFL

:P
Ok gents - After much research and discussion with local AG/Forestry reps here is the most valuable website (IMHO) I have been able to uncover for the use of herbicides/pesticides.

This site is useful for ornamental, agricultural and forestry initiatives. I am planning to use the "GARLON 4" for my gallberry control. Hope you also find the site useful.

Here's the link
http://www.cdms.net/manuf/manuf.asp
Later,
ShepFL

Tom

Thanks shep,

That info is always useful.  I noticed that those are the manufacturers without product use descriptions.  Here is one site that has their products described.

http://www.forestrymanagement.com/forestry/professional/home.asp

I found the page on Arsenal on this site.  That is the herbacide I used for injection but it is also used for release.  

What was it that made up your mind to use Garlon?  I have heard it is cheaper but that it doesn't stay in one place as good as Arsenal.  I have considered Garlon and have been told about it's success by the forestry folks.  I could use some more herbaciding now and have a few trees that could use release from sweet-gum.

Thank You Sponsors!