iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making my own siding jig for woodmizer lt10??

Started by markkelly, April 23, 2013, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

Has any tried to make a beveled siding jig? Any suggestions ? ??? ??? ???

Thanks much,
Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Larry

The Arky resaw jig is easy to make and works well.  You can do a search to find it.

You cut a board than later put it through the resaw.  I think it is the best way to make siding and it really goes fast.

I  made powered resaw for siding...pictures in my gallery.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tyb525

Make some narrow blocks to go under one side of the cant the thickness of the siding you want. 3/4"=3/4" siding on the thick edge.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Mark
Tell us a bit more about what you have in mind. As to width, bevel, species..... ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Carpenter

I agree on the Arky re-saw.  I made one that's much cruder than Arky's and it too works very well.  Mine is just a 2x12 with a 2x4 nailed to each side to give a little lip with a slot cut in the 2x4's for the blade.  And, I put a home made feather board on top of it.  To make siding I just nail lathe to one side of it and that lifts the board just enough for lap siding.  The jig is clamped to the mill.  The saw head is locked in place and the height is set and we just feed 1x6s through it like pushing them through a table saw.  Myself and a helper to catch and stack the siding ran over 400 sq' of lapsiding through in about an hour and a half not too long ago.  I don't have any pictures as the jig is nothing pretty.  But, by doing that I can make lap siding from already dry 1x6s which of course dry much faster than a cant.  And, the jig can be used as a re-saw jig by removing the lathe. 

Brucer

If I was making a lot of siding, I would go the "Arky resaw" route.

Two weeks ago, for the first time, I had an urgent request for bevel siding. Usually I convince the customer to simply use 5/8" x 8" flat stuff. This time, though, the contractor was trying to match the appearance of some existing siding. He needed some 9-1/4" wide material with a 1/2" bevel on 3/4 thick -- about 200 linear feet.

Thanks to several posts on the Forestry Forum, I knew exactly how to do it. I figured out the cant size I would need and then used a couple of pieces of 1/2" key stock to alternately prop up one side of the cant and then lower it.

Both the contractor and the customer were pleased as anything with the result. And if the customer is happy, I'm happy ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Member Planman1954 uses different thickness shims to alternate his shingle jig back and forth.  The same system should work such as Brucer just described above.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!