iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Serial number to determine year

Started by Woodboogah, April 22, 2013, 11:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Is there a way to use any digits in a serial number off a timberjack to determine a year, or a span of years. Insurance co. wants to know year and I am not sure of it.  Thanks!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

240b

If the serial number starts with a two letter prefix yes you can (ie  ac xxxxx ) this would be for stuff from the mid 80 till end of production.  Otherwise just tell them whatever.  What model is it?  pic would help..  You would pretty much need the line card at this point for the exact date of manufacture... Chadwick-Baross might still have the info. It would probably be amatter of the right person picking up the phone. 

Woodboogah

The Serial number is all numbers.  The model is 240GSEAX.  Try to get some pictures up.

240b

So, its a 240 w/ a Gm motor,Standard transmission, Eaton axles... I can't remember what "A" or "X" is "A" could be the letter for gearmatic and "X" might be Standard rear frame..... My books are in VT and I am in AZ...     Probably the first two digits in the serial number are 78,79,84, something like that, you could use that as the yr of manufacture..

PAFaller

There is another number on that tag that will probably start with the year. My 240 is a 240SEAN, and as 240b stated every letter means something. S is standard tranny, Eaton axles, I think the A is for gearmatic winch and the N might denote which powerplant option? But the other number on that same tag is like an 840329 or something goofy and those first two numbers indicate year.
It ain't easy...

240b

Quote from: PAFaller on April 22, 2013, 06:57:42 PM
240SEAN  What motor in yours?  I think the "N" is the narrow axle set up.   Usually the first two numbers are the year BUT not always.  Timberjack had the most messed up system for serial numbers/models numbers..

PAFaller

Mine is an 84 with a 353 Turbo, aka no nuts, hence why I think the N denotes what motor I have! :o  As for narrow axles it could be but I would hate to see what the wide ones were, even with the little 18.4-28 tires on a 50/50 dish wheel Im about 8ft 8 in wide. Was well over 9ft wide with the 23.1s on it, which to me is pretty wide for that size machine. Not saying your wrong 240B, as I dont really know either. And mine is sort of a mutt anyhow, it seems I call to order parts, they ask for that serial number, I give it to them, and then theres maybe a 60% chance the parts are right. I know the steering cylinder is out of a newer machine, as the packing kit for the cylinder that the serial number says I should have wasnt even close. Frustrating when the parts store is an hour and a half drive away!
It ain't easy...

Ed_K

N = natural asperated, or as I tell "No Turbo"on my 4-53 n
Ed K

240b

I dug around and found a bunch of info on TJ model designations. First at some point it looks like in the early 80's they came up with new designations for all previous models. And than in '92 did the same again.  I have about 9 pages of info. Nothing I could find had serial numbers.
What can tell is that a  240GSEAN is a 240 with a naturally asperated GM(4-53),standard shift,Eaton axles,gearmatic winch,with a narrow butt pan.  If the same skidder had a turbo 4-53 with Eaton axles and gearmatic winch with a narrow butt pan it would be; 240HSEAN.  There are 22 different combo's for the 240 model alone for the "A's"  I'd be happy to forward this to anyone, I don't know if it would be ok to post the pages as it may be copyrighted, but who knows.. The trademark expired according to the Patten office info....

Woodboogah

Tried to put a picture up, couldnt do it.  Thanks for all the info!!

Kodiakmac

While we're on this topic, does anyone know what the number sequencing on old JD 440 and 540 serial numbers mean?

I think my old buggy is a 67 or 68, but it would be neat to know for sure.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

PAFaller

240b that explains alot. Im guessing a previous owner of my machine opted to put in the 353T over the normal 453 that would have been in it. Thats how I bought it and its reliable so I havent messed with it, but it seems underpowered. Mine also has a narrow but pan, but I dont think it was added at the factory, I almost wonder if my rear fenders weren't an afterthought at some point. I know they were an option that some guys didnt opt for when buying new, but running chains in the back I would think not having fenders would be miserable.
It ain't easy...

shawn55

I just bought a 225 tj and im trying to find the year. the serial plate by your feet is gone. is there any other spot a serial # is stamped. im thinking its early 70s
any help would great.

Neilo

If the machine has a New Process transmission, these usually have a date on the plate. This is located on the right hand side near the front battery on the NP441.

Thank You Sponsors!