iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The big take down - 20" Lombardy Poplar

Started by SwampDonkey, April 22, 2013, 07:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The wind blew here like mad for 4 or 5 days. Well this morning it was calm.  I was waiting for the first calm morning, and this is it. Sun to boot. This poplar tree in my yard is full of cankers on the main stem it seems and was dying the slow death for 2 years now. The tree was not planted between the buildings as the picture suggests, but north of them (toward camera) about 15 feet I'd say.

Here she stood for 30 years in all her majestic glory.....

And here she fell and crumbled like the Berlin wall...with a mighty wallop!! 8)

I cut it in a fashion that left holding wood on one corner because it was shaped like a bow, with the most of the trunk weight leaning between the buildings. Top leaned toward the house. (that peek is 24 feet up) So with a little bit of forethought and planning it worked 100 %.  8)

Buildings and apple trees left untouched to carry on. ;D

Have a nice day. Enjoy the sunshine. Toot toot! :)  8) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

Always nice when they land where you want them. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

;D Woodshed space is at a premium in the north, and I run a furnace fire. Popple has very little heat and no coals, so I carted it all off to my bonfire spot over a 5 hour period this morning and lit it up.  Man there was a lot of sticks and branches on that thing. I would rather have a cord of rock maple in it's place that will last 3 times as long. ;D  It was pretty much shot anyway, bark falling off and grubs already active in it. I don't even know how it supported any growth at it's top, but there was green limbs up at the top. Most of the side limbs were all dry brittle sticks.  I picked sticks up in an area 70 feet long by 20 feet wide. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

What saw did ya use?  :)

That lombardy isn't near as up-swept as the ones we see around here. At 30 years, it was nearing old age. Them trees don't usually live very long.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

The Efco was used on this. I marked some lines on the but with paint as I studied it out for where to make the cuts. I knew I had to leave a little wood wedge on one corner to give it enough anchor to swing a slight bit to clear everything. I know it sounds a little methodical but directional felling does take some planning. ;D

Jeff, it was planted in 1980 and up until 2011 there was hardly a dead limb on it. It sure is huge for this variety. I see them dead all the time in yards by the time they reach 12-14 inches. Worst things to ever plant in a yard. :D

DonT

Thank You Sponsors!