iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

time between cutting and milling

Started by penfrydd, April 22, 2013, 06:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penfrydd

Only have done firewood in the past.  Doing a good sized cut of hemlock in the coming year.  Can I cut them throughout the summer and haul out in late fall, or, as I understand with hardwoods, should they be at the mill within a week or two of cutting? 

penfrydd

WDH

It is always best to saw them as soon as possible after they are felled.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

Welcome to the forum Penfrydd.
I'm rather new at this, but I've sawn a few old dead logs and quite a few right after they were fell and there is a considerable difference.
I can walk right through the ones that I fell, where it's a bit slower going on the ones that have been on the groung awhile.
I don't know, but would think that if it's sawing slower it's dulling blades faster. Someone with more experience can tell you if that is correct or not.
Allan

thecfarm

Quote from: penfrydd on April 22, 2013, 06:51:32 AM
should they be at the mill within a week or two of cutting? 

penfrydd

pemfrydd,welcome to the forum. As I quoted,do you mean a mill that you would sell too,your mill,or are you bringing in a portable mill? I have cut hemlock to sell at a mill and I have cut some to saw at my place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

If you are selling them by weight you better haul them as quick as possible. If you plan on cutting them and sawing them for yourself...you would be better to go ahead and saw them soon as possible. If fell and let lay all summer they could check. I know nothing of hemlock though.

mesquite buckeye

Lots of conifers bluestain when cut in summer. Depends upon whether you like it or not. You shouldn't get any real degrade like splitting for many months. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

I don't think hemlock gets the blue stain. In fact I'm pretty sure it don't. I cut some for my mill early summer and than went this winter to clean the tops up. They was nice and bright inside. Now I know the white pine I have will stain. The bugs will go right at the pine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

I actually cut a lot of Hemlock last year and waited over six months before I sawed them and they were in great shape.  I did seal the ends with anchorseal and make sure they were not in direct sunlight so that might of helped a lot.   

FFLM

I have sawn hemlock that had been felled for close to a year, looked just as good as if I had felled it that day.
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

Thank You Sponsors!