iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firecord

http://store.primopumps.com/Davey-Firefightersup_sup-Pumps/products/8/              here is a link for what is called a prection system which is more fail safe than. a dry-pipe.  however it requires electronic activation from an alarm panel.     http://www.vfpfire.com/systems-pre-action.php         there are also systems that are filled with antifreeze. but cal fire says NO.   as for your engineer he works for you just tell him what you want.  plenty of info on net to research pros and cons of each type.  the pump must comply with nfpa 20 if over 5 hp and what ever system u go with is nfpa 13. nfpa is not a law its only a standard or recommendation that you cant go below due to cal fire requirements.

jpjarhead

New to the forum and just saying howdy. I wish my well was 60 gpm. I am lucky to get 3. Jim are you on?
Improvise, adapt, overcome

thecfarm

jpjarhead,welcome to the forum. Looking to see if Jim is on line here? Look to the left of his user name. There is a small box,will be white if not on line, green if he's here.And hover your mouse over that box and it will say online or off line too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jpjarhead

thanks, PC challenged. yep I was looking for Jim, but figured out how to send an email.

jpjarhead

cfarm do you have any experience with TF?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

routestep

Those are very impressive trees and rocks, I'd have to get a way bigger saw.

Get all the fire protection you can. Get some cameras also. I like the concrete siding/walls idea too.

I built a TF camp up north. I got a call a couple of years back that my camp burned to the ground. The fire marshal (FM) ruled it arson.

About two weeks later on a stake out the FM car burned to the hubcaps. (That was ruled arson also. Pretty much right on the spot.) The state police have a good idea who set the fires, but they can't prove it in court.

beenthere

QuoteAbout two weeks later on a stake out the FM car burned to the hubcaps

Need an interpretation of what this means... thanks. Feeling a bit dense here. ;)

on a stake out  ??

FM car  ??

burned to the hubcaps ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: beenthere on November 27, 2013, 12:33:44 PM
QuoteAbout two weeks later on a stake out the FM car burned to the hubcaps

Need an interpretation of what this means... thanks. Feeling a bit dense here. ;)
on a stake out  ??
Officers doing surveillance to try and solve the crime.  Kind of wonder how their car got set on fire if they were in it?? ::)

FM car  ??
FM = Fire Marshal

burned to the hubcaps ??
i.e. nothing left of the car - totally burned up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

routestep

I guess my post was a little cryptic. I didn't want to hijack the thread, but we can learn and consider from all sorts of experiences.

The fire marshal and two others were watching another camp in the area. They were out of the vehicle and spaced in the woods around the camp. Sometime after midnight they decided to leave. They discovered a game camera that they had placed was missing and they saw the glow from where their car was parked.

The camera was never found and the car was a total loss.

All hell broke loose when the car burned. Sheriff, State Police, K-9, Fish and Game. Searching the woods looking for clues. That was arson number four. My camp was arson number three.

Funny, but the license plate to the car was removed and found up and around on the side of the gravel road by my lot half a mile away.

Ljohnsaw

Routestep - no problem, I always like to hear thoughts from others.  There are a few cabins in my area and they have cameras.  We are right on a main road going into a campground (Thousand Trails) so there is a bit of traffic every day, all day  ::)  Fortunately, my build site is just over a hill from the road so I don't hear much but the big diesel pushers.

Firecord - got a call back from the Davey pump guy.  He felt I should do some pushback.  The code (as he reads it) requires two 12gpm sprinklers for residential.  Even if you double it, that is only 48 (50 gpm).  I tried to read the code and I found that need to have 4 heads operating in the most distant spot on the line (11.3.1.1).  I am an open frame so I'm not sure if the pressure requirement is 7 psi (11.3.2.1) or 20 psi (11.3.4.2 - heads are greater than 8' apart).  Still have a little more reading to do in section 22.4.  Running 50 gpm @ 7 (or even 20) psi is a huge improvement over 65 @ 65! :o
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firecord

Not seeing your prints I can't do the calculations, but its like any other project.  Pit 2 or 3 different companies against each other for best design and installation = savings. I'm sure another company will review your plans for cheap and may even do it for free and offer a different option. We always contracted a design firm then shopped out the drawings.  this could be your answer.  As for the law I'm sure it was because all the large sprinkler companies lobbied your congress for it.  Laws like that are nothing but money makers.

firecord

Side note :  NFPA. is like the BIBLE no two people read it the same! 

Ljohnsaw

Its been a long long long while with lots of discussion on what is really needed.  A pump supplier actually sent me the pertinent code sections that I forwarded to my engineer to read :P.  They finally said ok and redrew the plans with two heads running instead of four.  The requirement dropped from 65 gpm @ 65 psi down to 26 gpm @ 32 psi. 8)  Now that is doable off of a battery bank.  They are not sure the County will go for it but in my talking with the County, they will not interpret the code - they go by what the engineer says! :D

Now to submit the plans - oh yeah, we finally got some rain yesterday.  The last rain was way before Christmas and the last snow (6") was before Thanksgiving.  They were predicting 8-10" up at 8,000' with a few inches down at 5,000' (I'm at 5,800').  I was up there yesterday (in the pouring rain) and there was about 1" of ice in places where I almost cracked my tail bone!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Got word back on March 7 from the county.  They accepted the fire plan and love the timber frame and foundation (Thanks, Ben the structural engineer - Fire Tower Engineered Timber, Inc.).  I omitted a few details that they want to see.  I am building under Title 25, sparsely populated rural development.  As such I do NOT need a heat source or electricity.  If I use wood as a heat source, I don't need to do heat calcs (for windows or insulation).  However, since I have plumbing (which I neglected to draw on the plans), I need a pump which draws power - so I need to do electrical drawings.  I will have a tank-less water heater, so I need to do energy calcs for that - seems pointless, its a tank-less and is the most efficient thing you can buy!  I didn't show balusters on the stair cases, so I need to draw that up as well as indicating the window sizes.  I also had to go out and survey the road/easement so I can show it is built according to the fire code/fire marshal specifications.  I've finished half of the changes so, onward and upward!

No snow on the ground - temps up a 5,800' are upper 30's overnight, 50's-60's daytime.  I know, the minute I have my building permit in hand, 10' of snow will dump on my property!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Once again, a long time between posts.  After a bit of back and forth, but as of 7/17, I have a permit in-hand  8) 8) 8)

I had to have the lot line surveyed (building within 60' of lot line) and it moved quite a bit from the initial flagging.  I started looking into having a waver from the fire department (they set the 30' minimum setback for clear space requirements).  Since my neighbor's property has a large gravel lot against my building site, they said no problem.  However, the county wants a ton of paperwork, more surveys and other junk :(  So, I remeasured, slid my building site and I can just barely get it on the level area.  I didn't want to cause another 60+ day delay.

So, time to start digging so I can pour my footings and do my block foundation before the snows that we might get this year (not much last year, or the year before).  I need to get some prices on local concrete and rebar.  I have to do it in two phases.  Phase 1 is to pour the footings with rebar sticking up every foot and then stack the Fastwal with rebar and fill that in phase 2.

Debating whether to collect "free" 2x6's for the form boards or to hurry up and finish my sawmill and make my own 2x12's from some of the trees I took out last year to make my road down to my septic.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Minor diversions in my cabin build.  First, I made a new bucket for my SkyTrak - a 6 foot one.  Here is what it looked like when I finished it:

Works great for gravel and dirt.  But it doesn't like the big rocks I have  :(  So, after a day of digging it looked like this:

Note how straight the back is now!  I torched the nice creases, leaving a little to act as a hinge.  Do you think LogRite is missing an opportunity to market their tools...

:D :D
With the help of a 12 ton bottle jack:

Its back in shape again.  I reinforced the top edge with some leaf springs, thinking they are tough.  I also put in some on a diagonal in the top corners to strengthen that area.  I managed to snap the leaf springs in two places - not as tough as I thought.  Re-welded and back in action.

So, I have water and septic at my site and a lot of nasty, fine dirt that just coats me from head to toe.  So, I decided to make a bath house (6'x8'x7'h).  Same roof pitch as my cabin plans and features a 32"x32" one-piece fiberglass shower, a sink and a (low flow) toilet.  I cut and nailed up the panels in my driveway and will transport it flat on my trailer.  I have some foam insulation and will finish the inside (paint) before taking it up there.  Should be able to assemble in about 2 hours.

Decided to add some plywood on the ceiling joists and a little ladder.  We now have a tiny cabin!  I'll put a queen air mattress up there and have a fold down bed down below for a twin air mattress.  I was hoping to install it this weekend but I needed to run the sewer line.  You can see where it comes out of the septic tank in the background at the end of the pipe that is not connected:

Turn to the right and the bath house will be up on the flat in the far background.

The shovel (way back there by the 4" sewer pipe) is between two big rock that I didn't pull out when I was digging.  I have about 10 feet more of trenching to do and then I'll make 6 anchor pads to bolt the floor beams on to.  Hope to do that Saturday.  I will have a battery and solar cell to run lights and a 12v RV pump (20 gallon water barrel), a propane tankless water heater and a pressure tank (that will eventually go in the cabin).  Just need a BBQ and it's home!

When done, my son and I can run up Saturday morning, work all day, spend the night and work part of Sunday before heading home.  Don't have to take the Pop-up camping trailer up and down the hill so much.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Let the building begin!

Back on post #41 from 1 year ago ::), I was debating on whether to pick up come "free" 2x6s (old decking) for the form boards or finish my mill and make my own.  Well, my mill is up and running and I made some boards

And quite a stack of some other 2x8 and 2x10.  I started on the lowest corner (North West) using my 2x12s to start forms for the foundation.

This is looking SE.  The NW corner is about 3 feet lower than the SE corner so I will be stepping my foundation.  Placement of the cabin was kind of determined by that giant bolder.

Going camping soon so there will be no progress for the next 2 weeks.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

I've spent a few more days working on making boards and using them up.  I'd say I'm at the 50% point now:

This is the SE corner looking north-ish.  The bottom of the picture is missing the left side board as is the one going to the left.  This is one of three foundation walls that will be holding up the porch (12' deep).  A 4x8 door will be centered about where my level is resting on the form board.  To the left, in the next bay, will be a 9' wide x 8' high garage door.  At the top of the shovel handle you can see the form boards from the previous post.  This corner is 4 feet higher than the opposite corner.  After I lay the rebar, I will put the cross pieces on the forms where the footings step down.  If you know where to look, you can see them (3 on this side) - bad photo angle.

I only have a few 2x8s left so I drug out 5 more logs to slice up tomorrow.  Looks like they will make me a bunch of 2x6s and 2x8s and maybe a couple 2x12s out of one log.  Its nice to be able to use these logs up before they rot any more.  Some of the wood is REALLY nice, almost clear.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Back on May 28th of this year, I was digging the trench for the water line from the well down to where it will enter the basement and on to the bath house (behind the trees on the left):

That was just to the left of this picture from today - the form boards are in! 8)

I still need to run the flat rebar (down the left side and on the far end), put in the blocks where the foundation steps (down in this case) 8" each step (five total on this side).  Then I need to add the vertical bars 12" OC for the ICF blocks.
John Sawicky

Jim_Rogers

John:
Any of those bad fires in your area?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

Looks great, must have been some serious boulders to bend your new bucket.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 17, 2015, 09:43:01 AM
John:
Any of those bad fires in your area?

Jim Rogers

The "Valley" fire is about 2 hrs west of me (not a direct route to it) and the "Butte" fire is 1 hr south-east.  Both fires are near my previous employer's generation sites. 

The Butte fire has been prevented from impacting the site and the employees had been evacuated from their homes but are all back now, no one lost their homes.  Some 6,400 structures threatend with 252 residences & 188 outbuildings destroyed and 17 structures damaged in that 70,000+ acre fire.  Thought to have been started by a live tree hitting a power line (PG&E and CDF are investigating).

The Valley fire was unusual - it started as a 400 acre fire and updrafts sent embers flying miles downwind which spawned more fires.  It grew to 40,000 acres in 8 hours! :o  Structures Threatened:    7,650 residential and 150 commercial properties 
Structures Destroyed:   585 homes destroyed and hundreds of other structures are know to be destroyed as well in this 73,000+ acre fire.  My fellow ex-employees are starting to return to their home, though some had lost everything - extent unknown at this point.

Both fires are still burning with less than 50% containment.  Rain and cooler temps yesterday helped.  Over the past weekend, the sky for miles was filled with smoke and it got nasty at time here.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Spent quite a bit of time bending rebar to make the #5 vertical  rods on 12" centers.  I had picked up over 100 pieces of 9' #5.  I made two bends 12" apart at the center and then two more 9" (or so) 90° out so I ended up with a pair of "L" connected at the bottom.  I tied those to the three rods in the footings.  Had to do a little custom bending here and there.  So a day of bending and a day of placing give me this:

Notice in this picture, the big rock?

There probably should be some dowels (rebar pins) set in there, right?  How many and what spacing?

On this rock, it doesn't protrude as far into the forms.  Should I still dowel it?

And no, these rock were not coming out.  I did manage to pop out a couple 6'x7'x8' rocks, but these would not budge.  Kind of wished I move the foundation over another foot or so, but you never know what you could run into...
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!