The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 40929 times)

Offline flyingparks

• If my dog doesn't like you, I don't like you.
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2017, 12:49:56 am »
I am awestruck that snow can do such a thing to an eyebolt.  :o

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:26 am »
I am awestruck that snow can do such a thing to an eyebolt.  :o
Well, the snow had a little help ;)  The snow was piled up across the entire head of the mill.  The head hangs from the "bicycle" chain from the four eye bolts.  The head is just under 2 feet across and 7 feet long - roughly 14 sq-ft.  My snow load rating is 341 lb/sq-ft :o  There was a 10' accumulation over 3 days with 13" of rain on the final day.  So I suppose there was the potential for nearly 5,000 lbs of snow/ice to be piled up on it. :-X

On the plus side, my makeshift shed roof over my truck box protected that from harm.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2017, 09:26:26 am »
Anyway John, it's good to see you making movement toward getting back to your project.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:50 am »
That's the kind of California winters I remember from childhood!  As a kid, I loved those bent over trees. Good to see that you were able to get in and assess the damage. Before long, you'll be back at it.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2017, 10:52:15 am »
I walked down my hill and drove around the area.  There were a LOT of pine tops snapped off :-\  There will be quite a few messed up trees going forward. :(
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline flyingparks

• If my dog doesn't like you, I don't like you.
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2017, 06:32:03 pm »
I walked down my hill and drove around the area.  There were a LOT of pine tops snapped off :-\  There will be quite a few messed up trees going forward. :(

Perhaps some material for your mill? Trees will regrow. It's all part of Mother Nature's plan. Good to see you're dried out.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2017, 06:56:30 pm »
I should have stated, the trees that snapped are small, 4 or 5" DBH with the very top 8 or 10' broken off and the rest of the tree looking normal.
John Sawicky

Offline jimdad07

• Seeking Information
« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2017, 12:09:37 pm »
Just caught up on your thread.  Reminded me of Tug Hill where I grew up.  Cany wait to see more progress.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2017, 10:50:25 pm »
A guy on CraigsList posted some free trees.  They had to take down 29 beetle killed trees on his acre and a half.  They were pushed into a loooong pile:

A clearer shot of the first load - both 19" diameter small end, one 9'6" and the other (without the bark) is 14'. Log calculator est. weight 2,080lbs for both.  I had to travel 30 miles up the freeway going from 2,400' elevation to 5,800' and about 1/3 of that distance was either flat or downhill.  There are some steep hills to do and I didn't want to over do the weight (I was guessing that I was around 2k lbs.

Second load up on the property.  Another 19" x 11'4" and a big 25" x 12'6" (it was on the ground in the third pic).  Log calculator est. weight 2,930lbs for both.  The trailer axle is rated at 3,500 and with the hills, I'm thinking 3k is about all I want to do.

I used a little HF 2500lb winch to get the first two logs loaded and started on the big guy but the battery was too low by then.  Resorted to the hand winch which was actually faster!

A lot of the wood is up to 18 months old dead standing so a bit punky.  There is a nice long denim log I'd like to pick and a big square log - almost a cant and probably 25-28" square and maybe 14'.
John Sawicky

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2017, 11:25:49 pm »
Looks like those could come in handy.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2017, 11:15:24 pm »
Update 6/11/2017:

Just got a call from a friend traveling over the Donner Summit up in the Sierras, a little above my property.  Snowing like crazy, a couple inches accumulation at my exit ::)
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2017, 01:27:58 am »
Update 6/13/2017:

Only slight remnants of snow where it shed off of some cabin roofs 8)

Picked up two more loads of logs.  I guess I actually burnt out the HF 2,500lb winch the last time - cooked it.  Now the inline circuit breaker trips after about 5 seconds.  The wires get pretty warm right away and the motor only runs at half speed.  Oh well - $45 wasted.  Used the hand winch that actually works a little faster than the winch ever did.

First load was a 22" x 14' and a 20" x 11' (load weight 2,743 lbs)

Second load was 18" x 12', 17" x 13'8" and a 16" x 15' (load weight 2,871 lbs)

John Sawicky

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2017, 08:29:34 am »
Those winches have a duty time which is very short the more you load them. On my log trailer, I had install a HF 12,000 lb winch. Very happy with it. Paid $260 on sale or something like that.

Please send some of the cool weather here. Tired on all the rain we been getting. :o

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2017, 02:34:27 am »
Update 7/12/2017:

Made it back up the hill.  My solar pump was not working again after the winter.  Water in the "waterproof" box ::) and the motor shaft seemed to be frozen (had rust on it).  Aired out the controller and used a bit of Blue Creeper on the motor shafts.  Worked the motor free and hooked it up to a solar panel at home and now all is good.  Hooked it the evening of Friday the 7th and when I checked it Sunday morning, it had pumped over 300 gallons.

Sunday the 9th was spent cleaning up around the mill (I was milling like crazy in November as the snow was falling and never cleaned up).  Added the final segment to my mill bed for a total length of 38+ feet.  Loaded one of the logs to use first thing on Monday.

And the rest to cut:

So Monday, I decide to get my ATV out to haul the timbers into the basement to stack for drying.  It fires right up, put it in reverse and press the throttle - but its stuck.  Press a little harder and it pops and sticks WOT !! :o   I quickly hit the kill switch.

Following the cable, I end up removing the body panels and finally the air box.  Didn't get a picture but it was packed full of insulation - but where did that come from?  The air box lower section was full of mouse pee :o :( and some had corroded the butterfly valve.  Blue Creeper to the rescue again.  I made a bucket of HOT soapy water and cleaned up the air box and filter material.  Then spent some time making mesh covers for the three air intakes to parts of the ATV.  So that blew Monday morning :-\  I have a wood stove stored with my ATV and it was stuffed with insulation as well - no clue where it all came from... I finished up the above log that yielded 154 bd-ft of timbers.

Tuesday started with a similar log that gave 150 bd-ft of timbers and then I loaded this big-un - 22" SE, 24" BE.  It was almost a cant!

That one log gave me 290 bd-ft.  This is how I moved my timbers by myself:

My motor wasn't running good so I took it home Tuesday afternoon and rebuilt the carb and added a few updates and fixes.  I returned today (Wednesday) and cut up 21" x 11' log into 194 bd-ft of timbers with the motor working great.  Then we loaded the biggest log of all - 27" x 12'-8".  What a beast.  My 18hp motor was working overtime.  It did some diving when I pushed too hard - I had to go slow and it was making very fine sawdust.  I'm a slow learner - I saw it dive and pulled back and popped the blade off which bent it  :(  Well, it was a little dull...  Then I had a big rises - the blade slipped over the guide flange angling the blade up - and I pulled back and popped the blade off again - but this one might be salvageable as it has a three small bends.

I made three timbers for a total of 148 bd-ft and have several big slabs to cut into other timbers (several 5x9's & 4x6's) that will  more than the first three total.

These were all Ponderosa Pine, clear with only one big knot that I remember seeing.  (I forgot my camera today so no pics of the pretty timbers).
John Sawicky

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2017, 06:32:51 am »
I'm sure by now you have a cut list for your build. ;D

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2017, 10:02:35 am »

I remember seeing his cut list in the form of a 3D scale model.  :)
1992 LT40HD

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2017, 12:15:08 pm »

Yes, I do.  Funny thing about SketchUp generating the list.  It likes to round up to the next 2 foot length.  I read the description (loft joist that spans a 12' bent) and it says I need some crazy length (16').  So I do some adjustments on the fly (cut 14').  Just trying to make use of the free logs for the "short" stuff.

Friday and Saturday I'll be back up and at it.  I know I still need thirteen more 5x9x14' joists and a ten 8x8x10' posts.  And I need a bucket load of 4x6's for girts and braces.  Won't get them all but I should make a good dent in that.  Then I'll decide if hauling logs up the hill 25 miles is worth it (again) since I can only get 2 or 3 on my trailer and manually loading them I can get 2, maybe 3 loads a day.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2017, 01:45:04 am »
Update 7/15/2017:

Finished up my stack of logs.  I kept track of what I was cutting out of each log and adding up the BF and comparing to what the calculator says.  I am just using the Doyle scale, the lowest number.

Getting better - first calculated log at 218 and I got 154.  Next calculated at 182 and I got 150.  That big square log calc'd at 229 and I got 290!  Now I'm getting about 10% more than Doyle.  Is that good for a band mill?  Should I be getting more?

This log I turned into a 8x8 and four 2x8 15' long:

My stack of 4x6 girt and brace stock is growing:

11 out of 19 required 5x9's:

A few more 8x8's added to this stack (longer ones) and a few 2x8's, 10's and 11's:

And started a new stack of 8x8's (shorter ones, 10'):

Mill is working good with a few tweaks here and there.  Down to my last blade - ordered another 15 pack (free shipping from WM).  Found out there is a WM dealer about 25 miles from me that does resharp so I will take my remaining 11 blades to them tomorrow.
John Sawicky

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2017, 05:38:48 am »
The bd/ft scales try and work out the maximum yield. And that means the 4x1 that you threw out in the first slab.  Now if you have no use for a 4x1, or it's value is less than the time it takes to cut and edge it, then it goes on the firewood pile and you forget about it. So if you are concentrating on beams, or production rate on low value wood, then you might not hit the scale. If you are working to maximise recovery, then you should get more than scale on a band mill as it's set up to estimate recovery on a 1/4" kerf circle mill. WIth the thinner kerf you should get a couple more boards, but they will basically be from the outside slabs. But that takes extra cuts and edging. 

Log scales also underestimate small logs. This is deliberate because small logs slow production. So it's easy to cut 15db/ft from a log that scales as 10. But you will probably go broke cutting them because of extra time taken. Hence the mills want to pay less for a load of smaller logs, and the scale is how they adjust for this. 

The log size you have there is more "normal", and so the scale is more accurate. Assuming you recover ALL the board, then you should expect slightly above "scale" (~10-20%)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:20 am »
Ianab,
Thanks for the write-up.  I think others will gain a better understanding as well.  What's the history behind the 3 scales in the Tool Box?

I was kind of seeing what you were saying - small logs I did a little better over scale then the larger.  That square log was just a bonus being nearly a cant!  Yes, I could have gotten some more 1x4's (which I do need and would have boosted my numbers even more) but didn't feel like chasing them.  It was too darn hot and I will have plenty of opportunity in the near future.
John Sawicky