iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Looks great.  Your mill looks like it's working well.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, when I put the new blade on, I thought something was wrong - it was cutting like a hot knife through butter!  It was so much easier to push through the log.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 22, 2016, 11:02:02 PM
Does this look like rain to you!

It looks like rain that identifies as snow.   8) 8) 8)

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 22, 2016, 11:02:02 PM

I guess I'm a professional sawyer now :-\

I feel your pain.
Woodland Mills HM130

Magicman

Looks like your operation has settled in for a long Winter nap.  Sorry about the blade.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Update: 12/13/2016

Went back up the hill to gather up some tools and finish up moving the big beam I cut last month.

Was snowing a bit:

I used my bicycle log arch to get it moved down the drive way (which is now frozen).

Hauling a probably 400 lb cant was a bit much for it but it survived.  Once I got it into the basement, I switched over to my portable gantry :D

Another thread was talking about ratchet straps.  I had to make a non-slip loop to move the cant.  This works really well.

John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

OK, I'll say it.  That is one neat "bicycle" arch.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2016, 08:33:53 AM

Agree 100%. Maybe you could build a "A" frame on wheels to help unload cants. That and a chain fall would make life easy.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishfighter on December 15, 2016, 07:10:36 AM
Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2016, 08:33:53 AM

Agree 100%. Maybe you could build a "A" frame on wheels to help unload cants. That and a chain fall would make life easy.

That section of scaffold is just what I threw together after my slab was done so I could clean up the tops of the pour.  I have about 12 of the 7' tall, walk-through type that are 36" wide.  I made the casters on this one and I have another set that are both 4" wheels.  Work great on the slab - after you shovel a path in the snow ::).  Maybe I'll make some monster-truck casters from wheelbarrow tires and use my pair of come-a-longs, - then I'll have a high lift, all-terrain gantry :D
John Sawicky

fishfighter

Sounds like a plan. ;D I just don't know how one could even think of working in cold weather like you having. ;D Heck, it was 42F and a stiff north wind here and I was cold to the bone to start the day. :o

Ljohnsaw

Not a real update: 12/31/2016

Went up today to visit with friends at their cabin. AccuWeather said it has been warm (45-50) for the past week or so along with rain.  I figured I could retrieve my sawmill head to to some repair and adjustments.  Well, we got some sledding in instead ::)  Our friends cabin is on a south facing hill.  We had to shovel a bit of wet snow to fill some bare spots but sledding was great.  Across the street on my north facing hill, there was over 12" of powder on my driveway and probably 18" drifts around the mill and trailer.  Absolutely no way to use the SkyTrak to move it onto the trailer.  Oh well.  I picked up all my used blades and will be rigging up a sharpener on my new-to-me free radial arm saw.  That will give me something to do until the snow melts next July ::) :-\ :-X  Snow to start tomorrow with "heavy snow" Monday through Thursday (4-8" per day)
John Sawicky

fishfighter

I'm still looking for a radial saw. :( What kind are you using?

Ljohnsaw

Its buried in the back of my garage at the moment.  I'll be digging it out this week or next.  I'm pretty sure it is a 10" Craftsman, probably from the 80's.
John Sawicky

fishfighter

Make sure you check the RPM's on the saw to match the stone. You don't want a stone to fly apart on you.

nativewolf

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 31, 2016, 10:02:51 PM
Not a real update: 12/31/2016

Went up today to visit with friends at their cabin. AccuWeather said it has been warm (45-50) for the past week or so along with rain.  I figured I could retrieve my sawmill head to to some repair and adjustments.  Well, we got some sledding in instead ::)  Our friends cabin is on a south facing hill.  We had to shovel a bit of wet snow to fill some bare spots but sledding was great.  Across the street on my north facing hill, there was over 12" of powder on my driveway and probably 18" drifts around the mill and trailer.  Absolutely no way to use the SkyTrak to move it onto the trailer.  Oh well.  I picked up all my used blades and will be rigging up a sharpener on my new-to-me free radial arm saw.  That will give me something to do until the snow melts next July ::) :-\ :-X  Snow to start tomorrow with "heavy snow" Monday through Thursday (4-8" per day)

Congrats on all the snow, I know you guys need it. 
Liking Walnut

Darrel

Finely had a chance to spend a little more time online and read through this thread. This is pretty awesome John as well as inspiring as I am in the process of doing what you're doing. Have a well in the ground that yields just under 100 gallons /hr. I also have my permit for septic and will start that when the snow is gone. Thanks for letting us watch your progress.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Darrel on January 08, 2017, 11:29:10 PM
Finely had a chance to spend a little more time online and read through this thread. This is pretty awesome John as well as inspiring as I am in the process of doing what you're doing. Have a well in the ground that yields just under 100 gallons /hr. I also have my permit for septic and will start that when the snow is gone. Thanks for letting us watch your progress.
Glad you liked it and hope you find enough useful info to make your endeavor a little easier.  Are you planning/can you do your own septic?  If I had to do it over, the first thing I'd buy is a backhoe!  The money I would have saved would have paid for a good used one twice.
John Sawicky

Darrel

I have a friend with an old case backhoe that I'll be trading labor with. He is also a retired septic installer. Has the laser level and the whole 9 yards.
1992 LT40HD

tareece

I would love to see the bicycle arch in use... truly envious.. thats some gr8 improvozation.
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: tareece on January 13, 2017, 01:29:32 PM
I would love to see the bicycle arch in use... truly envious.. thats some gr8 improvozation.

When I built my mill, I had a line on some free redwood logs that I wanted to test my mill on.  They were in a backyard with only a man gate.  So I threw that together.  You put it over a log with the handle straight up.  Put a ratchet strap around the log and the silver pipe (low one) and cinch it tight.  Rotate the handle back down and you can move the log.  That's assuming it isn't too big a diameter.

Might journey up the hill this weekend to see how much snow I got.  Up the road a piece (30 miles and 1,500' elevation), they got 110" so I figure I got a bit.
John Sawicky

fishfighter

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 02, 2017, 09:11:29 PM
Its buried in the back of my garage at the moment.  I'll be digging it out this week or next.  I'm pretty sure it is a 10" Craftsman, probably from the 80's.

Found one of the same that was built in 1969. Posted about the manual build. ;D

Ljohnsaw

Update: 1/29/2017

Braved the cold and the snow and went up.  Spent a good while clearing the 6 feet of snow but got the floor joists all framed up along with the basement stairs:

:D :D
Actually, I'm bored stiff and had to do something.  Spent a ½ a day cutting, building and painting the basement.  Then I spent another ½ day milling all the timbers and lumber.  Finally was able to build the deck.  I used cedar for everything but the rafters - I ran out of long stock.  Had to use some pine for those.

Next up will be constructing the bents.  The three middle are the same and the two ends are the same.  I have a lot of braces to cut.  Fortunately, there are only 2 or 3 sizes of the 120 or so to make.  I plan to put the main floor boards on only in the bedroom/bathroom/kitchen areas.  I will also put up most of the wall boards (interior and exterior) in those areas.  On the roof, I will put up the rafters on both slopes and roof boards only on part of one side.  I also plan to finish those exterior areas revealing the foam, battens and tin/hardie board layers.

This is 1/16 scale - ¾":1'
John Sawicky

jimdad07

I was sitting there wondering how you made everything so clean so fast....you got me, reallllll good guy you are!

Nice work on the model, that takes some patience.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Darrel

There are some things I wonder about and at times I have questions but there are other things I know for sure, one of them is 1+3 is not 7.
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Yep, got me too on the first picture. :D

Ljohnsaw

I was actually going for more realism.  I started to run the plywood for the walls down my table saw to make a light scratch every ½" to represent the blocks in the walls.  The only hold up was one side, the plywood had a nasty bow and it wouldn't touch the table mid-span - so I gave up on that idea.  I suppose I could have used a pencil line...
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!