iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Drying Shed Begins

Started by Andy White, April 21, 2013, 06:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

This is my first attempt at timber framing something other than my horses, but I,m gonna try.  Overall it will be 12'x18' off the rear of my mill shed.I have got all rafters and posts cut, but did not have 16' logs for sills, so to Lowes for treated sills. After the sills and joists 2x6x12' on 12" centers, I will floor it with my milled 2" SYP flooring. All these sharp chisels sure do make this a very satisfying experience 

Will post more as this thing gets further along.            Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

hillbillyhogs

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Andy White

Update on shed!
Layed out first post, and cut mortices for tie beam and top plate braces .All went well. Next, layed out and cut tennons for braces, one end only. After these were fit, I used framing square to project shoulder cuts on upper ends of braces. My math told me they were 33 7/8" long on hypotenuse(sp), and the square showed the same thing. The more of this I do, the easier it gets. I thought this would go faster, but my methods are very slow!
Besides if this were finished, I would have to find another project!  More updates as work progresses.   Andy
Will post pictures later.
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

I do a lot of things so called slow too. Seem like there is always someone that can do it faster than me. As I say,come on over and help. I never get any takers on the help part,but plenty of talkers.
Looking good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andy White

Pictures   
      Learning the system on laptop at the lake.
Different than home   Andy

More later

Jim_Rogers

Nice horses..... keep at it you'll get it....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Piston

If your shed looks half as good as your horses, this is gonna be a beautiful and sturdy outcome!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Andy White

Progress on drying shed.
Hauled and cut some SYP for beams and post Saturday. It was cut about 3 months ago, and showed signs of blue stain. Cut them anyway after post from WDH and MM. They look good.   Cut all mortices for tie beams and bracing on other five posts. Late Saturday, I thought  "why not assemble a bent".  This is the result. Two more, and it will be raising time!!!       Andy

Sure is nice to saw and work in the air around my mill

Will update on Raising Day!!!               Andy

Andy White

Now that all my posts and beams are cut, the bent raising begins! Assembly of bent 1 was last week, and it layed on the floor until Thursday morning. When I got it up, I could tell that the post must have twisted a small amount while laying out in the sun all week.

The third bent went in and alignment was perfect!

All was going well,till my neighbor came down to get me to go measure for his kitchen cabinets that I will be doing very soon. I did not get to raise the #2 bent, but it is ready.

This is one of the beams that had all the bolts and nails in it a few weeks back,because you can see the dark stain just to right of the post.

Soon it will be time to saw my rafters and get ready for topping out!!             Andy

WmFritz

Very nice progress going on there, Andy   smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

walterkilo

Beautiful craftmanship !

Bravo !

Dominik
Dreaming, Learning, dreaming some more...
My first sawdust day will come...
Dominik aka Walterkilo
Boucherville/Stanstead, Quebec.

Andy White

Almost Finished!!!
Got the bents raised and measurments for top plate mortices. Layed out and cut mortices for posts and braces.
After this, I set top plate on posts and scribed each brace for tennon fit, then cut all the tennons. Then removed top plate and installed braces in posts loosely, and reinstalled top plate starting on one end, fit top of braces in mortices on plate.Tennons on posts were 3" tall and tennons on braces were 2 1/2" tall so I had 1/2" to play with.
Working from one end, tapped with large maul, and the beam seated on post and braces like it was one piece.
Same for all the rest, and it looked really good. after drilling and pegging all joints frame is level and plumb and very ridgid. Next will be rafters and purlins and R panel roof sheets. Should finish next weekend.     Andy

I told my wife, that I could never do this again because I'm too slow and would die of old age, then she reminded me that the oldtimers worked in groups of men, and I am by myself.  Made me feel better!!!   Andy

Andy White

After a two week delay in my schedule, I finally got to install the rafters today. Heat was a killer, and the wife made me quit for the day. I will get an early start tomorrow and get the purlins installed. Am thinking about installing a skirt around the top down to the bottom of the tie beams, using board and batten. I got a bunch of I" to use, and think it may look good. Will install facia boards when the R panels go up.  It's getting closer now!!

Back to work now..;..          Andy

Seaman

I love it. I am going to have to spend more time on this side!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Jim_Rogers

Andy:
I don't think that you'd have any snow load in TX but you have cut that notch in the top end of the rafters pretty deep.
I don't know how much load you're going to put up on that roof, but there isn't much wood left to hold it up.
I think the rule is not to notch the rafter more than 1/3 it's height. And it would look like you're way over that.

I hate to have to tell you this. If you are going to have it inspected by a building official then he's going to point that out. If you're not going to have it inspected then only you and I will know.

Jim Rogers

bedway

Very nice work Andy. Theres nothing like good craftsmanship.

Andy White

Jim
No snow load in my part of the world, and definitely no inspectors in Sabine County. The plan is to install a 2"x4" ledger under the rafters on the inside of the plate, end to end. A slight miscalculation of roof pitch required that depth, to match existing roof. Easier to do that than build new posts!!! It is so nice to be new at this and get feedback from people in the know! Makes me think I'm not alone. Thanks for the input.       Andy

beenthere

I had a hunch that the "fix" was to match the roof pitch, and your ledger sounds like a good plan to cover for what Jim pointed out.
Looks like a good build on a great project.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for replying with your intended fix. That would/will do it fine.

Jim Rogers

Martha White Nelson

Nice drying shed, Andy.  It's coming along great, and nice looking too!!!
Martha

Andy White

Martha White Nelson
Curious about something. I noticed your profile is empty. Are you from Texas? and do you have a brother that lives at Rayburn?
Anyway Welcome to the Forum, This is the place to ask and learn about all things FORESTRY! I have a sister with the same name as you!!!            Andy

Martha White Nelson

Nice shed, Andy.  I am your sister, and I live in Orange, TX.
Martha

Andy White

Mart
Had no idea you were into all this Forestry stuff. I guess all my ranting has finally paid off! Welcome Sis!!!!            Andy

Jim_Rogers

Magicman

Well. what a nice family thing.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Martha White Nelson.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Martha White Nelson

Are you up and going yet?????
Martha

beenthere

Quote from: Martha White Nelson on July 26, 2013, 08:55:50 PM
Are you up and going yet?????

Click on his name, and go to his bio info, and you can tell when he was last logged in to the Forum. It was yesterday afternoon. Relax, he'll get his laptop figured out. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andy White

Finally got the roofing materials hauled to the site, and began installing Facias. Got them up , and started roof sheets. This is the hardest part for me, making sure they are running square. After roof was up Friday, I put the last of the 18" pine logs for the siding on the mill bed. Saturday it was raining, but not to worry, because log was ready to cut. Cut to 12"x12" cant then made siding boards. Sure is too pretty to use for siding!

After all was cut up, it was nailing time!

Will nail battens later.

The roof pitch worked out perfectly after my miscalculation! Facia is floating 1/4" over rib on roof sheet so rain cannot blow between the buildings, as they are not attached to each other.

Looking thru mill shed to drying shed.

These Red Oak logs will be my first grade lumber

to be stored in my new shed, after I take the time to quarter saw them. Lots of fun.      Andy

beenthere

Looks good Andy.

Are you the one who had a sister, Martha, all in a panic that you couldn't post?

If so, must have found a solution and what was the problem? 
south central Wisconsin

Stephen1

wow, way to go Andy. That is a great job.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Andy White

beenthere
Yes that is me and her I am back at home now, but was offline when I was up at the lake. Something wrong with my laptop I guess!
Will take it to the doctor tomorrow.      Andy

Jim_Rogers

downsouth

WOW! Nice job.
   Was that longleaf pine? It has a nice tite grain.

Thank You Sponsors!