iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Double Shifting

Started by Meadows Miller, April 21, 2013, 06:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Things are busy and I am booked solid now and have to get production up as quick as I can have one customer thats after 4,250,000 bft per year and have othrers wanting simialr volumes that are willing to take what I can supply and its about the only way I can go with increasing production with the gear I have operational atm  :) :)

Have many here done double shift in their mills for prolonged periods and whats your thoughts on the subject  ??? ???

I have done it in the ast on others mills and did not mind it apart from the increased maintaince aspect if the area is well lit and workers safety is looked after  ;) plus the fact I acctually love working at night  :) :) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey MM,

Wow, that's a lot of volume!!!  Just your one customer is asking for ~12,000 bf/day.  If you have others wanting that, know wonder you are working double shifts.  I would have to know the man power and machines you are running to give any helpful advice from HR standpoint, you probably already know you should have secondary parts and a very regimented maintenance program.  Of course the biggest concern is safety for you and the folks working with you. Do you have pre and post safety/shift briefings with the team you work with.  I have more questions than answers at this point.

Good luck brother, that is a wicked volume to produce.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Meadows Miller

Jay

With the Laimet Mill I am using about 6000 per day with two to thee men with 1 good bloke sawing and the other 1or2 stacking docking feeding ect  is a good average to achive  ;) ;D I held the record here in Aus back in the day (on a Kara Mill) and was hitting 8500 every day averaged over a month period like with sawmilling & logging  everything is variable  ;)  :D ;D I have access to another Meadows Mill here which will do similar production most likely have three mills running buy the end of the year  :) :)

Saftey getting the rite people and paying them good rates is key small mills everyone know what they are doing and what is expected and I intend to keep things along those lines We do have to do training and inductions and refreshers by law  ;) Seemed we had enless safety meetings at the big mills w/o much bloody effect though  :) :)

That is just the tip of the iceburg asfar as volume goes and im getting $640 per thousand for pine pallet grade  here Mate  :) :) Another Company  is looking for stock to go to Asia as they are having issues out of the Brazil and Chile with consistant supply for 22 to 45 Million bft per year told them I could most likely sort something out for them from either Australia or from the U.S.A or NZ In due course  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

Jay C. White Cloud

Hang in there brother, I will be watching out for your posts.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Meadows Miller

Im always hangin in there Mate  ;)  :D ;D ;D BTW I love the quotes on on your profile Its Too True Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

sparky

Chris,
I appreciate the update on your operation. It sounds as if you are becoming well-established. With three mills as a future likelihood, you will be a "Lumber Baron" soon! Any chance you will be able to schedule a trip to the US this year?

Will
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

bandmiller2

Weyerhaeuser down under, good luck Chris,be sure you don't overspeed your motor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Banjo picker

I would put my mill back on line if I could get any where near that for pallet stock...I talked to the local pallet baron last week and he said he could pay $295 or maybe $300 a thousand for pallet cants... I was getting more than that 4 years ago....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

5quarter

Chris...the only difference between you and Superman is that you ain't allergic to no stinkin Kryptonite.  ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Tom L

I've always found that it is much better to try to get all the work done on one shift per day. adding machines and manpower for one shift. two shift are nice at first, but after a short while , you would not be able to supervise two shifts.
that would mean running a second shift with another supervisor and a crew . things begin to happen out of your control
and night shifts tend to sleep alot and break a lot of things that will cause trouble between the two shifts. also if the shifts run without a time break between, there is a lot of time lost while changing crews, BS and stuff. I have always found that it is much more fun to see how much production you can get out of a crew, by making adjustment to material flow and changes to machinery than to add a second crew using the same old ways.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Gday Will & Frank I dont know about getting that big fellas  :) :) :) well see where things go though I want to have a good lifestyle for both myself and the people who I work with as getting bigger is not realy about me personally making more   ;) ;D ;D

Will I will be over later in the year might have to go back and have breakfast at that truckstop again and get up there for the steam rally Mate  ;)

Tim I linned up work while I was down in AL Cants where about $420 odd per thousand and cut to size was alill better down there and they where buying in about $100ks a week and having trouble finding consistant local supply  :)

5quarter I have my weakness which is shelas but everytime I have a run in with or change my life around for one it puts me of em Mate  :) ??? :P ::) ;) :D :D :D

Tom Thanks Mate I am a big fan of tuning a mill to do the maximum on a single shift basis as I am doing this out of pocket and currently have bugger all debt and will be aiming to keep it that way for as long as possable . this mill will have a roundabout circ resaw added within a couple of months which should get it upto the 9000bft shift

Im trying to keep the mills smaller and effective vs what I have seen in the big mills where for one example they spent 1.2 million on an edger line that did not work as well or put through anymore timber than the 30yr old one it replaced  :) :) :)

I am also setting up crews to look after their own stuff which means spares parts ect ect and a 1 to 2 hr break between shifts and the next crew will recieve the mill in good condition untill they get their own mill and things will most likely revert back to single shifts then

btw My crews will all be on contract rates as it gives them the incentive to look after the mill and and more reward if they are productive  ;) ;D

Regards Chris

Thank You Sponsors!