iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trading the mud for the wind

Started by m wood, April 20, 2013, 05:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m wood

from that to this...

believe it or not, I can deal with the wind better than that stretch of mud to my first mill site choice.  from my experience it was gonna be wet clear into July!  It isn't as invisible and secluded as millcamp 1 would've been, but millcamp 2 is probably useable for an added 3-4 months each year, at least!

one of these days,hopefully soon, I will actually start some real sawing :D
mark

P.S.; today was 33 and 40 mph winds when I was leveling off that site. brrrr! :snowball: and snowing on me too
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

cutterboy

There is nothing you can do about mud. You just have to wait. But hey, I like mill site #2. Pretty country up there.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Chuck White

Not much different here either Mark!

We've had high winds, rain, snow, more high winds with snow then just the wind.

It's let up a little now!

I hate the wind almost as much as the mud!

But, it's drying up now too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GDinMaine

That big open  area will probably work out well for you.  Before you know it you will have piles of lumber, logs and slabs all competing for space.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

m wood

uh huh GD, I was always concerned about the confined space of site #1.  I like the openness of the new spot too and thinking the same thing...I can picture the projects and lumber piles already.  my pickup is parked on the old lehi valley RR goes thru middle of my property.  makes for a 40' wide road to the mill and plenty of good stone for puttin 'round things.  Chuck, we def have the same weather pattern I think. should get better this week, maybe no looking back on the '12-'13 winter I hope.
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

TimGA

m wood,    Grew up in Middleport NY. Our property backed up to one of the old High bridges that crossed the Erie Canal. I was back about 10 years ago, that's all gone now and they put in a new one.  I can't say I miss the weather your having now, should be better in about a month. Good luck sawing, nice site.
                                                                Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

thecfarm

I did not have the mud I usually have. I think because of the lack of snow and the wind. I worked in mud last year and this year not much at all. Wind has been just about steady here.If we do get a break,it's just for a day. Maybe today I can pick up the leaves.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

My problem is I have my mill where I want it, but now can't get to it without wrecking the roads. I usually drive next to the roads this time of year, but with the fires there isn't any grass to drive on. So yes, some wind would be great.
Allan

dboyt

I hope people out your way are more trustworthy than folks around here.  If I left a mill that close to a road, it wouldn't last a week.  Consider putting a game camera out to keep an eye on it, or taking the carriage off the track and storing it where it will be secure.  Plans for a mill shed?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

m wood

dboyt, thats not a road up above there.  Its an abandoned rr track thru middle of my property.  the house in background is actually about 400' from pavement (i sold them one of the front lots) and my mill is behind it.  tracks are not travelled anymore even by 4 wheelers.  gave it a lot of thought and feel pretty secure about its locale.  the only wildcard is my ex :D.  but everybody out here looks out for everbody else.  good neighbors and all.
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

two-legged-sawmill

Hello mwood, Welcome to the mud season, I am a little late in posting to the problems you are running to! Losing a track is anything but fun, especial buried in the mud. In the past I have run into simular situations. Time which no one has enough, if when bringing out trees you can bing out the tops and limbs to that spot, corderoy them in your muddy area's, not too thick, then run your dozer back in forth over them. Soon you will have a hard surface that will need very little top  dressing, Sawdust will help too, also slab wood that you may not use. Most likely I am not telling you anything you  haven't thought of. Nice piece of ground.  Dan
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Thank You Sponsors!