iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tongue & Groove Hand tools

Started by Danny_S, April 19, 2004, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

This is the high production model...  :D It is a combination plane. It is set up right now for groove. I wish I could find the rest of the parts.

Dont ya just love the look of old hand tools.....

I have 2 other ones, Once I find them in dad's basement I will post em! I'm sure there are plenty of these around...
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Tracy

I love as well as collect and use old hand planes. Of course thats a Stanley # 45 and you should find one or two sets of cutters dependinding on when it was made in wooden boxes that contain the rest of the cutters which would be up to 23 of them in certain years and some other parts that go with it. For tounge and groove you'd want a #48 or 49 plane depending on the size of the joint. It has 2 staight blades in one body which has a fence that swings around exposing only one cutter to cut one half of the joint then swings exposing two cutters to cut the other half.You wouldn't want to make a floor with one though they did but you can hand plane enough for a chest bottom or cabnit back with it faster than setting up a router or shaper for it.

Brian_Bailey

I've got a #45 with almost all the cutters. I took it in trade for some woodworking. The fella's grandfather was a finish carpenter back in the 40/50's and used it to make alot of trim. His grandson inherited it and had no use for it. He thought I'd get some use out of it and I was glad to get it.

The #45's & 55's are kind of jacks of all trades.
They're adequate for certain jobs but excel at none of them.
They're meant to cut clear straight softwoods and are a bear to use in hardwoods.

Here's a link to some good info. on Stanley comb.planes.

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip8/index.htm

Click on Stanley tools in the LH column. This site doesn't have the instruction manuals  :'( .

You can get a book from Woodcraft that explains how to use these planes and others.  Here's the link,

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3421&gift=False&mscssid=08F8C95A832EE406884D9F4E4D3C7F47

Nothing wrong with being a Neanderthal woodworker  ;D.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tracy

Brians correct in that the 45-55s can be difficult to use with good results. The trick with working with these or most hand tool is to pick straight grain wood for moulding and joint making and using the grain to your advantage plus the tool must be sharp sharp sharp and set for a light cut.
There is great pleasure in doing a chest or other project with out the sand paper or power tool other than your sawmill. Add hand cut dovetails and a planed or scraped finish and youv'e done something most people won't believe is possible.

etat

What ya really NEED, is a proper miter saw  ;D

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Brian_Bailey

Yep, I agree.  Mine gets plenty of use.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

etat

:) :) :)

Mine doesn't actually see that much use.  Mostly I stick with the Dewalt. It is pretty dang old and heavy, and does a good job.  The base is cast iron. Teeth are sharp. I used it a good bit upstairs so's I wouldn't have to lug the Dewalt upstairs, or run up and down.  It was my grandpa's.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Brian_Bailey

ck,  

Your miter saw is not a proper one, it is a special one.

One to be cherished  :)

beenthere

cktate
Is yours a Miller Falls Miter Box, Z4C by chance?  I have one, and it looks similar to yours. Picked it up at an auction, and have used it some. Also use the DeWalt miter saw most of the time, and like it a lot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

I'm not sure what kind it is, it's out in the house I'm building.  I'll check tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!