iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rustic Shelf

Started by Axe Handle Hound, April 19, 2013, 02:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe Handle Hound

This was a shelf I built for a friend so he could display the eagle sculpture he bought.  His request was that it look "rustic" and somewhat match the color of the exposed rafters in his living room.  Not a whole lot of direction, but he's not too picky of a guy so I put together the shelf below.  The whole thing is made from some really knotty spruce lumber I had cut from a tree off his property a few years back.  All in all, it turned out alright and they seemed happy with it which is what really matters.  The pictures showing it mounted on the wall make it look tiny, but it's actually 4 feet long and nearly 2 feet wide.  Gives you an idea of the scale of the room. 

clww

That shelf is way too cool! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Tree Feller

That room is cavernous!

The shelf is perfect, too. I think it looks better than the sculpture it is supporting.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Left Coast Chris

Im with you.  Why try and take out a few dents, dings and saw marks?  No one will see them from that far up.  :)

(good looking work)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Sprucegum

That's a nice touch with the braces  8)

WDH

Axe,

When I saw the first pics, I thought, "Oh no!  He built it upside down  :D :D :D".

Fits perfectly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nice shelf,nice room,nice eagles and looks like goose in flight?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 19, 2013, 07:54:07 PM

When I saw the first pics, I thought, "Oh no!  He built it upside down  :D :D :D".

oz_smiley oz_smiley oz_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Planman1954

Nice job...looks great!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

justallan1

Nice job and it looks good where it's at.
Allan

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Lud

You did a nice job.   8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

T Welsh

Great job, I really like your supports! Tim

samandothers

i like the live edge and figure on the braces!   I was wondering why we never saw a picture of the top and after seeing it mounted I understand why it did not matter.   That is a high perch.

jueston

Axe Handle Hound

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  As some have noticed, you only see pictures of the braces and the bottom.  That's because I didn't attach the braces to the shelf in my shop so I couldn't flip it over and support all the pieces while running the camera.  My friend didn't know what the stud spacing was in that wall and I wasn't about to try to guess given the crazy architecture going on so I had to leave them separate so I could attach the braces to the wall first.  After the braces were lag bolted in (that sculpture is really heavy) I screwed the shelf on from the top down.  All the saw marks and defects in the lumber were done with a 60 grit disc on my right angle grinder.  After playing around with it a bit I figured out how to get a pattern I liked and that looked believable.  As you can see from the installed photos, he's got a number of other sculptures hanging in the room and a set of shelves full of wood turnings.  I'm not sure who he gets them from, but some of them like the flying goose are really neat.  I teased him that his eagles looked more like seagulls to me.   :)

44woody

WDH

I love how it matches the exposed rafters.  Simple but elegant.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!