iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

johnsered question

Started by cutter88, April 19, 2013, 12:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

I have an old 634 johnsered I bought off kijji a while back... u no one of them things ill never use bought it was in such good shape and cheap I bought it... can anyone tell me how many cc that saw is
thanks
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

John Mc

Interesting. That one is not up on the Chainsaw Collectors Corner.

The closest number they list is the Jonsered 630 at 61.5 cc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

I don't see any info on this saw either. smiley_huh
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

turbo885

found this take it for what it is worth

The 634 is a 34cc saw

cutter88

hey guys i was wrong it is a 630 thanks for the info
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

HolmenTree

The 630 Jonsered is still a good logging saw in todays standards. Tough reliable fast saw. I still see a few loggers today running them 8 hrs a day on piecework.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

A little long in the tooth but still a good bucking saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

At the time I found the 630 Jonny was a better falling,limbing and topping saw in small-medium timber, for bucking the  Jonsered 920/ 930 ,then the newer 2094 were  good bucking saws. 

sawguy21

Here the big 'uns were used with 36" bars for felling, 30" in the interior. A 630 with 24" or 26" would be used on the landing for limbing and topping.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 20, 2013, 12:47:10 PM
Here the big 'uns were used with 36" bars for felling, 30" in the interior. A 630 with 24" or 26" would be used on the landing for limbing and topping.
Here in Manitoba the limbs and tops have to stay on the ground where the tree falls.

Al_Smith

I've only encountered three J-reds in my lifetime that I have worked on .Two were 630's and one of which I forgot the number was a  49CC version .I might add each and every one were fine running saws .J-red unfortunately was never a major player in these parts .

bandmiller2

Johnsy's are good saws but its like Oldsmobile and Buick with Husky.I think they just keep it to have more dealerships.Quite popular in New England.I've got a plastic Johnsy top on my husky 365. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Well it sees to be the way of things .Ransom E Olds and David D Buick would roll over in their graves if they only knew what GM did to their cars .I'd imagine Henry Ford would have a coniption fit too if he only knew what happened to Cadillac .Had he known he'd never have sold it in the first place .

Geeze do I ever miss that old 90 Caddy my wife had .Land yacht in grandiose style .

shinnlinger

Johny's are pretty popular here.  My dad in 1979 bought a 49sp that ran until last year.  I have at least 6 neighbors that have some version of red as well. I have a 2054 that is a fine saw but I use my Partner f-55 more for some reason.

There are a few dealers around that sell and service but it will be interesting to see if that changes with the shakeup in US distributorship and rumored downgrade to homeowner grade saws.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Spike60

There is no "downgrade to homeowner grade saws". God, it drives me nuts when people throw crap out there like that. Nothing personal Dave, but it's just an ignorant statement for anyone to make. But it happens a lot, and it happens with every brand too.

The cause is usually someone drawing this conclusion because they see some of the cheaper stuff that all of these companies sell to the homeowner market. Then out come the usual comments. "They aren't what they use to be." "They've really cheapened them up." "They don't make them like they used to."

Well, yes they most certainly do. But they also now make some lower priced saws for the non-pro market. You can't buy a 455 Rancher/Jonny 2255 and then complain that it's "cheap" compared to your old 630 Super. The only thing that's "cheap" is the buyer who doesn't want to pay for a 2166 or the 2260 that will be here soon. (I hope)

That being said, the 2255 is a great, reliable saw for the average Joe. But a 630 Super it ain't.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Spike60

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

John Mc

Quote from: Spike60 on April 22, 2013, 08:54:34 PM
There is no "downgrade to homeowner grade saws". God, it drives me nuts when people throw crap out there like that. Nothing personal Dave, but it's just an ignorant statement for anyone to make. But it happens a lot, and it happens with every brand too.

The cause is usually someone drawing this conclusion because they see some of the cheaper stuff that all of these companies sell to the homeowner market. Then out come the usual comments. "They aren't what they use to be." "They've really cheapened them up." "They don't make them like they used to."

Well, yes they most certainly do. But they also now make some lower priced saws for the non-pro market. You can't buy a 455 Rancher/Jonny 2255 and then complain that it's "cheap" compared to your old 630 Super. The only thing that's "cheap" is the buyer who doesn't want to pay for a 2166 or the 2260 that will be here soon. (I hope)

That being said, the 2255 is a great, reliable saw for the average Joe. But a 630 Super it ain't.  :)

Spike -  that comment about a rumored downgrade is probably in response to a rumor that Homeowner-type saws (or possibly homeowner and midrange saws) are ALL that Jonsered may be selling in the future -- the rumor is tha they may stop selling the high-end saws (at least in the US).  There may be nothing to the rumor, but it's out there.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

shinnlinger

Thanks John for sharing you heard the rumor as well.  It may be just a rumor but I stated that in my post.  Sorry if my post was seen as   "throwing crap," and being ignorant, just sharing what I had heard. 

I don't believe I have ever disparaged  "homeowner" saws (in fact I own/use several) but I do consider them a "downgrade" compared to a pro model.

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for.   It always baffles me when folks complain about tools they bought at Harbor Freight.  What did you expect for $20???
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

coxy

the rumor has been going on for a long time      have a few 2171 and a new 2172 thay are great       now for my 372  well i dont like it   its cold blooded like the 575     jmop

John Mc

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 23, 2013, 04:28:37 PM
Thanks John for sharing you heard the rumor as well.  It may be just a rumor but I stated that in my post.  Sorry if my post was seen as   "throwing crap," and being ignorant, just sharing what I had heard. 

I don't believe I have ever disparaged  "homeowner" saws (in fact I own/use several) but I do consider them a "downgrade" compared to a pro model.

I knew where you were coming from.  Some folks do confuse the fact that the big-name chainsaw makers are offering homeowner grade saws with the idea that ALL the saws they make have been downgraded.  That's not true, and not what I think you were saying.  This current rumor has to do with Jonsered shifting to being sold in the "Big Box"
stores.  The persistent rumor is that "sometime soon now"  the big box store-type chainsaws are ALL that Jonsered will make.  I've never seen any facts on this, just people wondering.

Thank You Sponsors!