iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder info

Started by Madman_Mark, April 19, 2004, 05:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

I've been logging part-time with a couple of different 4wd tractor/winch combo's over the last few years.
Just a few days ago I picked up some more land to cut (for someone else) along with what I've already got ahead of me to do.
So as of now I have about half a years work ahead of me (that's if I quit my regular full time job and do it steady) and am trying to decide if it's time to sell the tractor/winch and buy a skidder.
Problem is I've never run one before.
I've cut behind a skidder plenty and have logged steady since I was 18 (I'm 33 now).
What's the most common skidders and which ones to avoid ?
What's the difference between the C4's and C5's etc...?
I don't need one too big, just enough for 2 or 3 guys.
My tracor is already enough for 2 guys but too slow for 3, should I stick with that (it's low impact, which more people are into these days) ? It's a 55 HP 4WD with a loader. Any advice would help.

Ron Scott

What type of logging is most popular in your area, short wooding or tree lengthing?

The small forwarders are most popular here and are becoming more so with low impact logging being required.
~Ron

Madman_Mark

Lots are skidded out tree length with cable skidders,same as what I do with my tractor (without limbs of course) then cut into logs and 8 foot stud/pulp wood at the brow and pushed into a pile.
Alot of guys also use porters though and forward the wood out already cut to length.
There's alot more harvesters and processors around here in the last few years too (I don't have enough work or money for one of those).

Frickman

Madman Mark,
If you can log with a tractor, you'll have no problem with a skidder. A skidder is like any piece of equipment in that if it was treated well and is the right size for you it should do the job. Most of my experience has been with Franklin, Tree Farmer (which is now part of Franklin), and John Deere.

The Franklins and Tree Farmers are nice machines to repair, they are easy to work on and use alot of common, generic parts. The older Franklins, the ones where you sat to the side like you were driving a car, aren't the most user friendly though. I had a 170 like that and it was difficult to see on the other side of the machine. Once you had a hitch on and were dragging out of the woods it pulled great. It was turning around back in the woods that gave me problems. The winch had two levers too, one turned the winch on and one was a brake. I was always getting them confused, of course I'm not that bright either. A buddy has a newer Franklin 170 and it is a great machine to run. It's kinda big for some jobs, but it is easier to drive than the older ones. The older ones were great for their day, but their time has passed I think. The 170 usually runs a 23.1 x 26 tire, which is a standard size tire in my area.

You asked what is the difference between a Tree Farmer C4 and C5? Just model size. The C4 was small, C5 medium, and C6 larger yet. I have a C5 in a forwarder around twenty years old. It is a great running machine, and like I said above it is easy to fix. My cousin and I can remove the transmission in twenty-five minutes, the engine in an hour. The brakes aren't of the best design, but if you use your gears properly you're ok. I'm not sure of it's horsepower, but it's the same size machine as a Franklin 170. Another buddy just got a C4, which is a little smaller. Either should be good for a small two or three man crew.

My personal favorite for logging is John Deere. I run a 440 and its the quickest little machine I've ever skidded with. It won't pull a big hitch like a 170, but nothing beats it for maneuverability. The big draw back with it is it's the hardest machine I've ever worked on anywhere. Every piece is half-buried in the machine so you have to tear the whole thing apart to get to anything. Recently we rebuilt the transmission inside the machine because the motor and everything had to removed to take out the transmission. Another thing with JD is you have to buy most of your parts through them, and you pay a premium for that. Still with all its drawbacks I wouldn't trade it for any others.

Look back in the archives, there's alot of good information in the old posts.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

J_T

Frickman you right that 440 is stout for it's size and grate to run. Ran a franklin 170 for a guy weak ago had the monster tires on it grapel hard for me to see off it . Corse I can't see noway.
Jim Holloway

Madman_Mark

Thanks Frickman, that's the info I'm looking for.
Anymore advice ?

J_T

Yep don't get rid that 4x4 with loader unless you really need to or just don't need it.
Jim Holloway

Frickman

Madman Mark, One more piece of advice. Like any machine, you get what you pay for. There are alot of "fixer uppers" out there. If you have a deep pocket and alot of patience they're fine, but I prefer something in a little better condition. You may be shocked at what parts cost. The best machine to get is an owner-operated skidder that was well taken care of. Alot of times you'll find a fellow retiring and selling his machine, that may be the one to get. If a big logging outfit with lots of employees owned it it's probably been misused and abused, and they're unloading it before it breaks.

A nice JD 440 will run you between $15,000 and $20,000, sometimes $25,000 tops if it's in real pristine shape. A junker will bring $8,000 to $10,000. That extra $10,000 is money well spent. A good, newer Franklin 170 cable in our area will bring $40,000 to $50,000. It's a popular size for the big boy outfits, so they bring more. Few of the big outfits will run a 440 so they bring alot less.

Don't worry too much about the condition of the engine, engine kits and rebuilt units are fairly cheap and easy to change. Look real close at the center section pins, the driveshafts and universals, transmission and transfer case, axles and winch. These are hard or expensive to fix. Step back and look at the overall condition and wear and tear. Remember, a good coat of paint can hide alot of bumps and bruises. I prefer a machine with original paint and then repaint it myself.

Hope this helps a little.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

AtLast

I JUST bought a 2001 JD 260 with 700 hrs on it and I LOVE it. For me its perfect. It came with a bucket and I bought a set of forks. Granted its a skid steer....bt like I said for me its perfect. I looked a LONG time before I finally found a great deal and the best part was is that it was only 10 miles from my yard. free delivery ;D

Frickman

There's nothing like free delivery to sweeten a deal. I had my forwarder shipped about a thousand miles when I bought it. I wish I could have got free delivery then.

Thank You Sponsors!