iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

craigslist/ebay scam

Started by mometal77, April 18, 2013, 10:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mometal77

I was looking on craigslist last week thinking what a great deal this excavator would go for usually they are 25 to 30 grand so when i thought it was a woman by the name of Nancy posting locally i emailed. Saying i would like to try it out and the bank is in town here would be glade to meet up. Well the machine she said was in Nebraska and here the story goes.

Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my unit (2006 Caterpillar 307C). I sell it at this price ($9,400 - this is my bottom price) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. The unit is fully paid off. This 2006 Caterpillar 307C is a clean strong running machine! Runs Great, All the Pins are in good Shape. Needs Nothing. This machine has been regularly serviced and maintained by a certified dealer since it was new.
This unit runs as good as a new one. The divorce has finished 6 months ago and the unit is mine now. After the divorce I was forced to buy a new house. Following the financial crisis I can't afford to pay the bank and I decided to sell the unit. As you can see from the pictures, it's in excellent condition.
I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town right now so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my unit over the Internet. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the unit and only if you agree to buy it). We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated with eBay and I have a purchase protection account. The last price for this unit is $9,400. I will pay for shipping and handling (the loan of my previous buyer didn't get approved, so, there won't be any additional shipping costs). If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the deal through eBay. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Kind regards,
Nancy

The thing is i asked for a number of the service place all those years who did matience on the machine also a call from her and she sent me what looked like a ligit ebay/paypal invoice.

I contacted ebay and got this back.
Thanks for forwarding the suspicious message you received. The email you
reported did not come from PayPal or eBay. It was a fake, often called a
"spoof" or "phishing" email. (That's "phishing," as in "fishing" for
personal information.) Our security teams are working to disable any
websites it links to.

For 9400 bucks about would have been a great deal oh well i would rather buy property.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

beenthere

mometal
Glad you caught the scam in time. With CL, remember that if it is too good to be true....it is.

Haven't seen one in awhile, but small utility tractors that would normally sell for $15k on the market, are listed for $5k with low hours, picture that looks like it near brand new, and several attachments that would boost the total to close to $25k. The best to do with them is to click on the spam button and CL will take it down. These people are simply thieves, sticking it to the unwary and to someone thinking they are getting a real bargain.
You are lucky.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mometal77

I never looked up their ip address. I read about this a while back with scammers out there. Even locally today yrs ago i spent 250 on a rear end for my chev suburban. Working nights as a foreman to a machinery shop. Anyways he loaded it for me and came home next day went to look at the thing it was for a dodge. Called him up went to were he was in the phone book the guy who owned the building said the man owed him a few grand in back months rent. Went to the sheriff and he said i was lucky. He had complaints of the man selling diesel engines for 1000s of dollars to people in other states and they never received them. Paypal from here on out for me for anything. The sheriff even gave me the home address of the guy and said dont do anything I would not do.  :)
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

shinnlinger

I don't want to blame the victim, or potential one, but the old adage rings true.  "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Some guys sold a block of wood a few years ago an ipad box .   The judge dismissed the case because the  buyer should have known better.

http://rollingout.com/politics/dumbest-crime-ever-the-wooden-ipad-scam/
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Sonofman

I like the one I saw years ago before the internet. It was in the local paper classifieds. It was an add for some "grass". The word grass was in quotes as mine here is. I have a cousin that is suceptable to such and whom I was in close contact with at the time. He was mad one weekend cause he had sent off for it and got a baggie of lawn grass clippings for his efforts.
Located due west of Due West.

Cedarman

Sonofman,  a little justice clipped your cousin!! :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

And it was money being collected for the local policeman's ball, along with the names of the buyers.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2013, 12:51:17 AM
mometal
Glad you caught the scam in time. With CL, remember that if it is too good to be true....it is.

Haven't seen one in awhile, but small utility tractors that would normally sell for $15k on the market, are listed for $5k with low hours, picture that looks like it near brand new, and several attachments that would boost the total to close to $25k. The best to do with them is to click on the spam button and CL will take it down. These people are simply thieves, sticking it to the unwary and to someone thinking they are getting a real bargain.
You are lucky.

Thanks for pointing this one out for me. Luckily I only deal in cash and I'm broke right now!
I see these in Billings, Mt. all of the time and kind of figured that was the down payment.
Kind of makes me want to mess with them a little.
Allan

fuzzybear

I had the same thing happen with a Hudson Mill on ebay a few years ago.  I received an email that looked legit, but some thing didn't feel right about it. I called up Hudson to confirm the email and was told that it was a scam. Sent everything to ebay and never had another one sent again.
  The whole time I could hear my dad saying "if it's to good to be true...it aint"   ;D
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

gunman63

pretty simple to  tell if a email  is thru ebay or not, go into your messeges  in your ebay account, if its not there, its a scammer.

Thank You Sponsors!