iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

detroit 353 issue on franklin 130 skidder

Started by lynde37avery, April 18, 2013, 08:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

I got some blackish oil/soot coming out of the exhaust pipe running down onto the hood. my uncle talked to some guys in NY and said it could either be a bad thermostat not letting the engine get hot enough to burn off all the fuel and that's why its making the excess sludge. or it could be an injector that's bad and not working proper. anyone have an issue like this before? and if so what did you do to fix it? thank you so much for any help. my old skidder usually runs awesome sometimes old frank gets sick n needs assistance.
Detroit WHAT?

John Woodworth

Three questions, do you spend a lot of time idling? what color smoke? are you using oil. could be either of the suggestions you listed although you would notice the injector with the engine performance, have you checked the blower screen? dirty and plugged, not complete combustion from lack of air, using oil you have problems with the pistons. Is this something that has just come on or has been progressivly been getting worse?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

timberlinetree

Our 353 would leak oil out of the seams of the exhaust using Napa 15W 40 oil. switched to Amsoil 15W 40 with a CF 2 rating and it cleared the problem right up.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ed_K

My 4-53 did that due to excessive idle and 2 bent rods.Don't let any rain water get down the exaust pipe.
Ed K

cutter88

ide check the blower screen first and run either amsoil or rottella t shell oil.. and on my old screamen deemen i put a hand throttle so i could idle it up a bit when i was hooken chockers its better for them then a dead idle  :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

lynde37avery

yea I had let it idle a lot at my last job cuz it was so cold outside only on flat ground taking it easy on the pull.  and it gushed the stuff out the seams of the pipes. now it aint doing it so bad or if any now cuz im on an uphill pull now in 50*+ weather but the motor sounds as good as ever. ill change the oil to something better than the rotella T I been using. my uncle tells me mobil delvac is suppose to be #1. thanks guys big help. GO BOSTON!
Detroit WHAT?

Ed_K

Rice Oil has delvac 1300, I've been running that in the skidder and landini.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!