iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catch and release...Cats!!!??

Started by martyinmi, April 18, 2013, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

We've got some sort of critter that has been digging for grubs in my lawn and everyone keeps telling me that it is a skunk. It has killed two large areas in my yard. I bought a couple of live traps a few weeks ago, and to date I've captured 6 animals. Two of the said animals, an opossum and a woodchuck, no longer process oxygen (my Henry .22 sped up their journey to meet their makers), but the other four were my neighbors' cats. One neighbor lives down the road to the east about 1000 feet, and the other lives next door about 500' to the west.
The neighbor to the west is really cool about his cat. I've caught him twice, and he said if he wandered over again to just get rid of them any way I see fit.
The other neighbor's cat hisses at me every time I look at it while it is caged in the trap. He, on the other hand says that his cat is just doing what members of the feline family do. He would like me to simply just keep calling him every time the cat is caught and he will walk over and get it. He says that if it does it too many more times, he'll load it up and take it for a ride farther out in the country and drop it off in front of someones home.
I'm not sure I like his form of problem resolution. I don't think that his pet should be on my property at all. I really hate it when I wake up in the morning to find a bag of garbage all ripped up and scattered out on my deck.
What do ya'll do in situations like that?
Capture and call?
Capture and poison with lead and keep my mouth shut?
Capture and drop off at animal control and have my tax dollars spent on having it euthanized?

I'm getting sick of them eating my bait(sardines).

And whoda thunk that an opossum would eat sardines? :o
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Texas Ranger

I have that problem, as well, my solution is to water board them ,  that is hose them down in the trap till they sull up, then let them out.  Seldom do they come back.  Cats don't like my shower arrangement.  Oh, and you got to be careful letting them out, they want blood.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

SSS

Many more cats have walked on to this place in the last 50 years than have walked off.  ::)
They do have to come from a long ways unless they are feral ones (which I normally just assume they are).

Had only one distant neighbor ever come looking for their cat, and she said it had been missing for over a year.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Get a metal garbage can with a lid? That is a hard question. My neighbor,she LOVES cat called me and said my cat was going up to her place and beating up her cat. I told her I would speak to him about that.  :D  It just popped out so quick. If I could of seen her face.She is very nice person too.
I wonder too if one of those cheap air horns would work when you had them in the trap. I buy them from Dollar Tree for $1. Man those things are LOUD.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I use those same air horns on the telemarket callers when they try to sell me something over the phone. >:(

I'd try that water hose method. Like twice. If that doesn't work, I'd hang a note on them for the owner to read when the trespassing kitty returned home, wet. The note being something like, "Dear neighbor-this was the last warning." ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gspren

I never catch the same cat twice! Figure it out.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

Yes, and I have had some stray cats around over the years as you all know, with kittens in toe. Posted photos once in awhile. The garbage thing was always a cat, always caught them in the act. I have crows and ravens year round here and they never touch it. They know that I toss scraps out. Or at least they don't seem to touch the bags. When there is a problem cat, I just stick the garbage out in the barrel with lid, solves that and kitty is usually gone for a few weeks. Even have had the garage door up while mowing and have them climb into the open garbage barrel in the garage. I don't hurt the cats, just chase them off. But I have lots of lawn diggers and they are skunks, I see them at it all the time. They usually come just before dark and have their fun. They don't bother me over the lawn, but cats, dogs and skunks like to all dirty in the garden. ;D :D :D Oh well. ::) I think I'll get out the hot dried Cayenne pepper this summer. :D

Talking about skunks, mom's uncle would catch 20 or more every fall on his lawn with canibear trap. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Quote from: martyinmi on April 18, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
We've got some sort of critter that has been digging for grubs in my lawn and everyone keeps telling me that it is a skunk. It has killed two large areas in my yard. I bought a couple of live traps a few weeks ago, and to date I've captured 6 animals. Two of the said animals, an opossum and a woodchuck, no longer process oxygen (my Henry .22 sped up their journey to meet their makers), but the other four were my neighbors' cats. One neighbor lives down the road to the east about 1000 feet, and the other lives next door about 500' to the west.
The neighbor to the west is really cool about his cat. I've caught him twice, and he said if he wandered over again to just get rid of them any way I see fit.
The other neighbor's cat hisses at me every time I look at it while it is caged in the trap. He, on the other hand says that his cat is just doing what members of the feline family do. He would like me to simply just keep calling him every time the cat is caught and he will walk over and get it. He says that if it does it too many more times, he'll load it up and take it for a ride farther out in the country and drop it off in front of someones home.
I'm not sure I like his form of problem resolution. I don't think that his pet should be on my property at all. I really hate it when I wake up in the morning to find a bag of garbage all ripped up and scattered out on my deck.
What do ya'll do in situations like that?
Capture and call?
Capture and poison with lead and keep my mouth shut?
Capture and drop off at animal control and have my tax dollars spent on having it euthanized?

I'm getting sick of them eating my bait(sardines).

And whoda thunk that an opossum would eat sardines? :o

easy, put your garbage in a can where it belongs and when your grubs are gone so won't the skunks be, grubs will kill the grass, their eating the roots :D :D :D ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Al_Smith

Marty ,Marty ,Marty .Now you know full well you cannot reason with a cat .A cat is a cat they do what they want when they want .A dog most times you can reason with ,a cat never .

Now just how much harm can a cat do in the yard  besides poo poo in the flower bed or pee on your truck tires if it's a Tom .

A dog however can dig a hole that looks like the makings of another Panama canal in a given amount of time .A car looses interest in such business .

Just squirt the cat with a hose .Stupid as the appear they get the message after a while .

martyinmi

We have a garbage can a few feet from the deck, but there times when the weather is nasty that we don't take the time to put it in. Tonight is a good example, as it is pouring rain with wind gusts up to 40 mph.
And really, should I have to secure my garbage on my deck? Shouldn't the cat owner keep his/her animal at home?

My yard has had grubs in it forever and the grass has not died. Where the critter has dug it up it looks like I hit it with a tiller-and it is now dead.

I just shined my flashlight out the window and a pair of orange eyes reflected back at me from the larger of the two traps. Not sure what it is, but it appears as if Mother Nature will give an all natural water boarding to whatever critter it might be 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

WH_Conley

When I catch a cat in a live trap I just kick the trap a few times. They will do laps around the top of the trap. :D Open the door and they are gone like a shot. I have never caught the same cat twice.
Bill

pineywoods

Here's a sure fire way to handle the cat situation. Catch him in your live trap, but be gentle and remove cat from trap. Hold by the tail with one hand, with the other hand hook finger and thumb over the head right behind the ears. Jerk smartly. Then, and this important, toss the cat over the nearest fence. He won't come back.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

red oaks lumber

you sound like my dad, every thing has to be trapped and shot :( animals don't know to stay out of your yard.
live and let live :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sawguy21

I don't like the neighbor solving your problem by simply taking the cat out and abandoning it. That is just plain cruel, the animal now becomes prey and quite possibly someone else's headache. Not much you can do, cat's are fiercely independent and go about on their own terms. The garden hose works very well as long as you catch them in the act, lead poisoning should be a last resort. Piney, I couldn't bring myself to use your method.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

I guy I used to work with only had a dog and hated cats - messing up his flower beds.  He hated his neighbor and especially their cats.  He got tired of trapping them and taking them down to the animal shelter.  So he had his property declared a bird sanctuary - that gave him the right to shoot them.  :(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

scgargoyle

Here in FL, they do the dumbest thing. They trap feral cats, neuter them, and the release them back into the wild! Why would you do this? Cats are not a native species, and they wreak havoc on small animals. Sorry, but cats do not belong in the environment.

Right now, I'm having a lot of trouble with stray dogs, pitbulls, specifically. I'm building a house in rural SC, and there were two of them lounging in the dining room the other day. I wasn't able to scare them off, so I waited until they left, and then boarded up the doorways. I've had 5 separate stray dogs around this week alone. For my own safety, I'm going to have to start carrying.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: pineywoods on April 18, 2013, 10:01:52 PM
Here's a sure fire way to handle the cat situation. Catch him in your live trap, but be gentle and remove cat from trap. Hold by the tail with one hand, with the other hand hook finger and thumb over the head right behind the ears. Jerk smartly. Then, and this important, toss the cat over the nearest fence. He won't come back.

Thats cold
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: martyinmi on April 18, 2013, 09:56:29 PM
We have a garbage can a few feet from the deck, but there times when the weather is nasty that we don't take the time to put it in. Tonight is a good example, as it is pouring rain with wind gusts up to 40 mph.
And really, should I have to secure my garbage on my deck? Shouldn't the cat owner keep his/her animal at home?

My yard has had grubs in it forever and the grass has not died. Where the critter has dug it up it looks like I hit it with a tiller-and it is now dead.

I just shined my flashlight out the window and a pair of orange eyes reflected back at me from the larger of the two traps. Not sure what it is, but it appears as if Mother Nature will give an all natural water boarding to whatever critter it might be 8)

You can leave your garbage out but what are you going to do when he shows up

:D :D :D :D :D :D

and you can spend some money and get some grub killer at the farm store and be done with all of this :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Papa1stuff

I'm glad my Wife doesn't read this ,we have 10 cats and she loves them all like her kids ;D
She would hate you all for being mean to cats!!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

woodandtractors

Peter-Are those pics of suspects in bird feeder thefts?  I'm not the biggest nature-lover when it comes to bears(or cats!),but have figured out if you leave nothing outside to attract them,you don't have to spend hours cleaning up their messes and plotting their demise. Our town has mandatory trash sorting for recycling,so we sort at home-milk crates for glass,cans,plastics,etc. We rinse out tin cans and plastic so they don't smell.Regular garbage goes in a covered container in the kitchen until dump day. Meat and fish wrappers go in the freezer until dump day-no smell! Works for us,and I spend less time avoiding problems with animals!
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Axe Handle Hound

Shooting or otherwise killing neighbor's animals can get to be a dicey situation.  My dad got into this spot many years ago and it ended with the neighbors trying to hunt down and kill our dog when it got loose.  Not a good situation.  I agree that having stray animals making a mess on your property is incredibly annoying, but I don't know how you're going to get past the unsecured garbage issue.  You have to figure that a cat doesn't really grasp the concept of property lines, but he does understand the smell of dinner.  You're essentially baiting him onto your property, like it or not.  Even if you get rid of this one you'll end up with more of them soon after.  I'd recommend changing your bait to something the cats won't like.  Skunks and raccoons love raspberry jam, marshmallows, and sunflower seeds, but cats won't touch it. 

Peter Drouin

Woodandtractors, yes we like ALL the wild life in the yard, we sometimes leave the bird feeders out so the bears come around, in 30+ years no bad ones, just have to smarter then the wild life, I have bees too and have away to keep them out of the hives

the out side is all dug up from the bears trying to get in :D :D
we have no dogs so we have deer bears moose all kind of things in the yard, Ann and I love it
A&P saw Mill LLC.

chevytaHOE5674

If the cats don't get into your unsecured garbage then racoons, skunks, opossums, crows, mice, rats, squirrels, etc will. Simply solution is to put the garbage in the can.

Chuck White

We get skunks digging in the yard here every year, and racoons just getting into stuff!

When we hear them or see them (we spotlight the yard), it's Mag Light & 12 gauge time!

I just get close enough to a skunk to get him to move to the far side of the yard and that's where he meets his maker!

Coons just get it where ever they are!

The only cat we ever had problems with was a huge tom-cat (about 12 years ago) that liked spraying around the garage and the house, we finally caught him and we took him inside the trap to my brothers farm and put a castration band on him and let him go.  Then he had no reason to wander!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

why kill things? that just pithes me off when i hear stories about senseless killings.
live and let live!!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!