iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I had a visit from a log broker today!

Started by T Welsh, April 18, 2013, 06:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

As the topic says I had a log broker contact me asking if I had any Walnut for sale. I said yes and he asked when he could look at them! I told him give me a few days to lay them out. Well he showed up today and purchased all the good logs that I had ;D. Details and prices are still being negotiated,he also wants me to saw all logs onsite and he will supply the truck to load after sawing is complete. I scaled them after he left and it comes to a shade over 4000bf. His offer is very fair,but I did not accept his offer and I told him I would think it over and contact him tomorrow with an answer. I will let you guys know how it turns out, for now enjoy the pictures! Tim

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cutterboy

Boy oh boy, you have some nice looking walnut logs. I never sawed any walnut, I don't have any growing on my farm, but I get asked all the time if I have any walnut lumber for sale.

It's a nice feeling to make a good sale. I'm happy for you Tim.     Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mikeb1079

that's cool t welsh.  yep walnut is always in demand it seems.  nice to make a little extra money sometimes, good onya!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

T Welsh

I decided to accept the broker,s offer with conditions. His offer is fair for both of us. where I disagree is on the grade of logs. FAS,1# common ect. I have left crotches on logs that he is wanting cut off and sawn individually. As long as he is fair about compensating me for this I will go ahead and saw 500bf of grade from the logs he marked.I will tell him we will take this one step at a time on my conditions and payment is due after the lumber comes off the saw. After the 1st transaction if we both agree to proceed,then so be it.I will not lose on this deal! I recently got burned on a timber frame job and I am very leery about fast talking people right now!Tim   

Leigh Family Farm

Now that the weather is warm, and my fair weather sawing itch has returned  ;D, want some help next weekend?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

Quotewhere I disagree is on the grade of logs. FAS,1# common ect.

These are not grades for logs, but are names of grades for lumber sawn from logs. I assume you are selling logs to the buyer, being the log broker.

But you talk about also sawing the logs i.e. "payment is due after the lumber comes off the saw". 
So are you selling logs, or selling lumber sawn from the logs? 
Just trying to sort out what is about to happen from what you are saying.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dboyt

Hope you get top dollar for the logs and for your work.  I've never heard of a buyer wanting logs milled on site like that.  Most around here don't even want the tree cut down.  I guess the rules are changing, and it sure is nice to have the right tools to meet that sort of opportunity.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

T Welsh

The broker is offering to purchase all logs (14) at a set price sawn to his spec,s! He has already offered a price that is for kiln dried purchased in 1000bf lots. I am selling green and sawing! Which works for me! Where we disagree is his price is good for 1# common, but I have 4 logs that are in my mind better than that grade,they are clear butt logs that I would grade FAS. We are talking a dollar a bf difference and those 4 logs scaled over 1000bf. So the way I look at it, I stand to lose a thousand dollars which I do not like >:(. We agreed to saw 500 bf and take it from there! Tim

beenthere

Just don't sell those four logs. ;)
He'll either come back for them, or not. :)

If they are clear four faces, then get in touch with a veneer log buyer to look at them.
If they don't want them, then saw them into boards and air dry them. A buyer will likely come along for all that FAS lumber.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

Tim...I see you have a few rejects there with the big "X"s on the end. I'll be by next week to get those out of your hair so you have some room for decent logs... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

T Welsh

The deal was sealed yesterday morning after about an hours worth of conversation! We came to a fair agreement about the grade of the 4 logs I had mentioned,sawing ect. The fact that he wanted me to saw them was something new to me, but he explained the need asap for a local end user, which he did not disclose. I sawed 500+ bf right there and then, all grade sawn and edged the sapwood off, the cut are 2 3/16 thick and had to be +- 1/16 tolerance!

These are the first boards of the cant that still need the sap wood edged off

These and all clear heart wood that went right in the back of his truck off the saw. He was happy and I got rained on during sawing ;D (But I had a smile on my face) Tim

mmartone

Wow, thats beautiful. Sounds like you made a good deal and everybodys going to be happy!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

WDH

I need to disguise myself as a log broker and make a surreptitious trip to PA  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

I have sat on these logs for over two years,knowing darn well what I have! I am a hoarder when it comes to Walnut and Cherry! I have enough to keep me in projects for the next ten years! This is the first time in 30 years of doing this that I was able to get paid for the real value of the logs vs. pennies on the dollar at the mills. The plus side of it too is that I am getting paid to process these logs ;). We talked and came to an understanding that unless both parties are happy the deal would not happen. The next process is to go through the Black Cherry pile and he will pick the ones he wants and we will do them up. I am just a happy camper that I found a source to double my returns on these logs. The log market has been horrible since the down turn of the economy and I have just been sitting on them! Tim

mikeb1079

QuoteThe log market has been horrible since the down turn of the economy and I have just been sitting on them! Tim

well then good things come to those who wait.   :) :)

glad to hear it tim.  btw, what vintage is your mill?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

T Welsh

1992 with over a million bf (not all mine) She is still running true! I tear it down and go over it once a year and anything that she needs she get,s! It will hold a plus or minus 1/16. As along as the stupid sawyer can see the right lines to put it on >:( I have started to wear glasses when I saw now! I am getting old :D Tim

Peter Drouin

good for you , and yes we are all getting old :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 20, 2013, 06:24:13 PM

Speak for yourself.  surfer-smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 20, 2013, 06:52:44 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 20, 2013, 06:24:13 PM

Speak for yourself.  surfer-smiley
David, If you recognize it you have already experienced the problem ! Getting old happens :D, Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm 21 trapped in a 56 year old body.  fiddle-smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: T Welsh on April 20, 2013, 09:49:37 AM
1992 with over a million bf (not all mine) She is still running true! I tear it down and go over it once a year and anything that she needs she get,s! It will hold a plus or minus 1/16. As along as the stupid sawyer can see the right lines to put it on >:( I have started to wear glasses when I saw now! I am getting old :D Tim

I still call them reading glasses, even though I wear them almost all the time now.  :embarassed:

It dawned on me the other day, I may need to install a light on the scale. And find some prescription safety goggles... :embarassed:

T Welsh

The whole experience has been good so far! I have made at least triple the money that I could get by just selling the logs to the best buyer! We tried an experiment today by sawing a good walnut crotch into 3/8" slices, not knowing whether he could find a buyer or outlet for these! Newer technologies with wide belt sanders make this possible to take these slices and kiln dry them and try to market them so that they are of value! We will know after they come out of the kiln and someone buys them! That is where the broker comes in and does his job on selling them to the best and highest paying user. We talked over the costs involved and went ahead with the experiment to see if we can reinvent the wheel so to speak! Tim

T Welsh

David, your my age and should know better ;) I,m like you! I refuse to grow up ;D Tim

T Welsh

Jack, I have 11 years on you and I call them reading glasses too :D Tim

Thank You Sponsors!