iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad News

Started by Sonofman, April 16, 2013, 10:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonofman

ANDERSON COUNTY, S.C. —A 36-year-old man was killed Tuesday morning when he fell more than 60 feet from a basket crane while topping a pine tree, according to the coroner.

Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore was at the scene on Laurel Lane.  He identified the man as Gerald Lee Culler Jr. 

Shore said Culler was the owner of Anderson Arbor Pros.  According to Shore, an employee working on the tree needed help, so Culler took over.

Culler asked Ralph Callahan, of Callahan Crane Service, to operate the basket lift, Shore said.

Shore said that Callahan asked Culler if he was going to take safety equipment up with him, but Culler said he was a professional and didn't need it and left the gear on the ground.

Shore said the pine tree was about 110 feet tall.  He said Culler was topping the tree at about 65 feet, and the tied-off portion of the tree swung around and hit the basket, turning it upside down and throwing Culler out and to the asphalt driveway below.

A fall from that height is about the same as a fall from a six-story building.

The Pendleton Rescue Squad and Sandy Springs fire department were also on the scene.

OSHA is investigating the accident.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/oconee-pickens-news/Coroner-Tree-trimmer-killed-in-60-foot-fall/-/9654906/19768606/-/mytiipz/-/index.html#ixzz2QgKuFf8Y

NOTE: This guy said he was a professional and did not need his PPE. In my opinion that makes him a rookie idiot. I feel badly for his family.
Located due west of Due West.

mikeb1079

that is sad indeed.

i work in aerial trucks daily and putting on your harness is just something you do every time, no exceptions.  an old timer at our shop was permanently disabled in a similar accident to this one.  operating a digger derrick w/ a brake on the bucket, forgot to engage brake and leaned out to reach something....bucket dumped him out.  this guy (apparently) made a terrible decision.  it sucks that his family and friends have to live with that.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Sonofman

You're right Mike, I work construction and have gotten into the habit of wearing all my ppe all the time. Some jobs are real strict, some are real lax. I am working at one that is real lax right now, almost no one wears any ppe at all. I still wear all mine all the time, and I know they laugh at me behind my back, I do not care. I do not want to have to tell someone I told you so, or tell their family that dad is not coming home.

It takes a few minutes longer, but helps you go home at the end of the day with all the bits attached where they should be. As you said, it really really sucks for his family, because he got in too much of a hurry.

clww

What an awful story that reads like it could have been a much better ending. Safety gear only works when properly utilized. I'll bet OSHA will find out some bad things, unfortunately.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Questions and a comment....

How often when topping a tree would it wheel around to strike such a blow?  Seems like an awful miscalculation or just plain bad luck.

What makes it sad is that it appears preventable.  Would his ppe have saved him?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

submarinesailor

DocB

If I remember the lift training I received about 13 years ago, there is a very good chance it would have.  Again, if I remember correctly, when operating a lift you are required to be in a safety restraint that is hooked into a manufactured tie-down point.  It can't be the railing because it wasn't designed to hold 5K pounds.  This could be a perfect example of why OHSA came up with this rule.  Below is a quote from the OHSA web site about aerial lift requirements.

Bruce

Tie-off requirements for equipment covered by the aerial lift provisions (§1926.453)
Section 1926.453(b)(2)(v) provides that employees must be tied-off "when working from an aerial lift." A body belt is permitted only if it is part of a restraint system (a system that prevents the worker from being exposed to any fall). Otherwise, a body harness must be used and the equipment must meet the requirements of a fall arrest system in §1926.502.

The purpose of this requirement is to protect employees from being bounced out/off of the basket/work platform when maneuvering to a work location, or placing themselves in a position in which they could be exposed to a fall by climbing/leaning over and placing their center of gravity outside the basket.

Ianab

QuoteWould his ppe have saved him?

Most important PPE in this scenario would be a harness and safety rope clipped to the basket. He would still have been flipped out, but would have just ended up looking silly dangling below the basket with some bumps and bruises, and could be easily rescued.

There are some pictures on the news page showing the tree. The spar is still standing, and the top as folded down beside it so the two cut ends are still about the same height. I'm guessing they had it fall the wrong way? Maybe the first guy got a saw pinched or something? 2nd guy went up to fix the mess and had it fall the wrong way? Clipped the bucket or boom on the way down and flipped him out. Only speculation on my part there, but I bet that's the sort of scenario that happened

Kind of ironic last words "Culler said he was a professional and didn't need it and left the gear on the ground"

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

I shudder a bit when I see guys in a bucket on the end of a boom truck along the highway, with cars passing just a few feet away.
One miscalculated bump from a car on the ground would tend to shake that bucket high up a goodly amount. Hope they have their PPE on.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sonofman

I got a little more info today about the guy killed. My supervisor's father has a tree service owner that lives across the road from him. It seems that the service owner that my super knows has had a hard time with the fellow killed. Seems he would find out where he had quoted a job, go to the people and underbid him by a few hundred and get the job. The guy killed is known in the local industry as a sort of hot head that is impatient, hard on his employees and always looking for a corner to cut to make a few extra bucks. Unfortunately, this time it caught up with him. Sometimes it just does not pay to hurry.

I have gotten in the habit over the last few years that when I feel the need to rush a job and hurry, I need to and now do stop a few minutes to calm and slow myself down. It is just not worth it, especially in a highly dangerous job like logging.

beenthere

QuoteMy supervisor's father has a tree service owner that lives across the road from him.

Might be true, but it sounds like a Gossip trail too. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sonofman

I know my supervisor well, and his father fairly well, I trust them. The other service owner I know not at all. Quite possible. I hate to speak unwell of the dead, and still feel badly for his family and friends.

The main message I desire to impart. Take no chances by not using the proper ppe!!!

Okrafarmer

I have only used a high lift a few times, but always put my fall protection gear on when I did. I was a ground man for Asplundh for a few months (until laid off) and I got to go up in the bucket just a few times. My foreman was incredibly careful to see that I did it all safely. Later I rented self-propelled lifts a few times to do tree work. I always tied in, even though it was a little constraining. (they don't seem to make those harnesses for big boys).

I don't care who you are, 60 feet is very far to fall.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!