iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown scat in woods

Started by OneWithWood, April 16, 2013, 06:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Thanks for all the replies.  In all the years I have been walking these woods I have never seen scat like this and I have seen a lot of scat from white tails, coyotes, coons, etc. 
Learn something new everyday.  I guess I was hoping it might be a small bear.  We have had reports of sightings of a black bear and a large cat in the area.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jdtuttle

All you want to know & more about the business end of deer.  ;D
   http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/armchair_biologist/poop/
Round, individual droppings incate deer have been eating browse such as leaves, twigs, and acorns.

Lumpy droppings indicate softer to digest; grasses, clover, alfalfa, apples, and other forbs.
Have a great day

Corley5

Michigan deer management decisions used to be made based on Pellet Surveys.  That's all the details I'm going to give  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Its always been obvious to me that excrement was the basis for a lot of DNR decisions.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

I heard those were smart pills.  ;D  Maybe more ways than one. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I've gotten word from a very trusted source, that our new director for the DNR is the right person for the job. Since I trust the source so much, I'll trust that we now have a good person in the position. Hopefully he can find a way to tread through everyone else's excremental trails, detours and roadblocks that can make such a position a bit of a stinker job so to speak.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Deer management in northern NB was a failure and they were told it would fail by the old guides, and they were right. And they were told why it wouldn't work and they were right about that to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

I had this scat tested by state wildlife biologist.  All they could tell me was that it was from omnivore.

I keep finding clues but no bear. Just last Sunday I spotted boulders turner over in a branch near the house and a standing dead tree with the sap wood ripped off about 4-6' off the ground.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

I have seen what looks to be claw marks on trees before and there are a few logs that have been shredded in the same area.  Yesterday I came upon a few more piles of poop.  If it is a white tail deer it would be the biggest around by a long shot.  Could be a trophy rack for me this year!
One With Wood

OneWithWood

Still no shrooms.  Better happen today because we have a major system moving in with drastically dropping temps.
One With Wood

mesquite buckeye

Check under those little piles. I hear the heat promotes mushrooms. Also gives a distinct (dis stinked) flavor.

Bet there are lots of mushrooms in Washington with all the hot air out there. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

I think a lot of times a bear will try and push over a rotten stub to get at the beetle grubs. Not tall snags so much but the crumbly short stubs. And they like to climb my post that holds the bat box, plus any oak I have that will sustain their weight. Oversized coons. :D :D

The feeder with the coons on the chicken coop thread, is just as fitting with bears at that feeder. They aren't as dexterous but they can figure stuff out. Don't think for one minute they can't figure stuff out. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

Looks like deer droppings to me.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

martyinmi

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A Bear would not have left his water bottle.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Holmes

Quote from: Jeff on April 17, 2013, 01:32:05 PM
Its always been obvious to me that excrement was the basis for a lot of DNR decisions.

:D :D :D
Think like a farmer.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WmFritz

Mystery solved smiley_ignore
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ryguy777

a sick indian, or sasquatch

SwampDonkey

When I was a younger lad about ready for college there was this book written on such matters, only not on the ID, but how to... in the woods.  I bet it's on Amazon. ;)

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 17, 2013, 04:02:24 AM
When I was a younger lad about ready for college there was this book written on such matters, only not on the ID, but how to... in the woods.  I bet it's on Amazon. ;)

Deuteronomy 23:12-13 is to the point but something a lot of people don't bother to do.Just common courtesy really.

WmFritz

I dusted off my bible and there it was...  all spelled out.   :P
           Never realized the Old Testament included that sort of instruction manual.   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Paul_H

There is even a recipe for dung bread in there. :)

Thank You Sponsors!