iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shut down time soon!

Started by gspren, April 16, 2013, 04:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

About the end of April I plan to shut down the OWB unless we get a real cold spell. I like firing up in the fall and saving oil all winter but now I'm looking forward to not fooling with it although I'll still cut some more until it gets too hot.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

thecfarm

I have turned off the basement heat,just 2 days ago.Was 29 here last night. I'm waiting to turn the heat off in the house. Have not done that yet.I turn the heat off during the day and turn it back on at night. I do that for a couple weeks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

This time of year I light my stove a lot. It will sometimes be out for a day or two since it saves wood but I will probably relight it 4 or 5 times before I'm done.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

stratford 50

Shut down today, clean up, change fan motor and water level sensor once cooled down.

chevytaHOE5674

I usually have a fire going until late May and this year looks to be no different. Lows in the 20's and highs in the 30's is still furnace weather for me.

AsaG

Up this way, we still have highs in the thirties and lows in the teens and twenties.   Shutting down would result in the better half doing something like this.....   dadgum you, Charlie! 

martyinmi

Quote from: AsaG on April 16, 2013, 08:47:28 PM
Up this way, we still have highs in the thirties and lows in the teens and twenties.   Shutting down would result in the better half doing something like this.....   dadgum you, Charlie!
:D x2
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

NWP

I shut mine down for about a day then saw the forecast for this week. I fired it back up for a few days. Luckily I hadn't cleaned it out yet otherwise I probably would just use the heat pumps.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Logging logginglogging

Not for another month or so here!

Al_Smith

This time of year in these parts if I would run the wood burner it would be with a banked fire and the blower off .It's just too much of a pain in the neck trying to regulate the heat .

This warm and with a well insulated house the geo-thermal doesn't run that much any way .

gspren

If we weren't getting our domestic hot water from the OWB I would have already shut down but since we DO get our water heated and they are calling for a cool weekend I will keep her running another week.

martyinmi

I'll run mine until the extended forecasts predict night time temperatures above 55 degrees for a week or so.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Roger2561

I shut mine down when the night time temps are no lower than 50F.  The weather guy says next week the night time temps will be in the 30/40's so I may end up burning into the month of May this year.
Roger

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Roger2561 on April 19, 2013, 01:19:02 PM
I shut mine down when the night time temps are no lower than 50F.  The weather guy says next week the night time temps will be in the 30/40's so I may end up burning into the month of May this year.

I usually do.. middle to late May anyway

Local4Fitter

I add a few pieces of wood in the am. Add more in the evening until outside temps go up.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

thecfarm

First day with no heat in the house.   8)  I unplugged the basement circulator and closed the valves for the heat in the house. I use my OWB for hot water,so I have to keep that circulator going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

No heater, no cooler, just living in a tropical paradise... :) Some days it will get a bit chilly, and I have to put socks on...

I remember well though cutting wood to heat the home.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

talldog

Would those be wool socks?

crtreedude

Nope, those would be really thin cotton socks... Average year round here is about 80 F.

We think it is cold if it gets under 70 ...  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

gspren

I shut down over the weekend, Saturday I kept shifting the remaining chunks until about 5 PM and then shoveled out the hot ashes. Sunday I finished cleaning it out.

MapleNut

Last chunk of wood went in on Saturday...letting it cool down, will clean up this week. Using propain from here on!
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

Logging logginglogging

Got down below freezing here last night and then i warmed up just enough to snow... Still running the stove!!

thecfarm

Had my valves open the last couple days. Been raining here,which we needed. Sun is out and I will turn the heat off again.

Logging logginglogging

Since it warms up considerably during the day I have just been burning small / odd hard to stack stuff.
Just makes it easier that way fow when i bring in new wood to stack this summer

thecfarm

I'm not burning much at all at high noon,but the last few nights has made up for it.

Logging logginglogging

finally warmer here again, now hopefully this is it for the year, I uaually stop mid may so thats about right.

thecfarm

I think I turned it back on May 16 and have not turned it off since. I even turned the basement heat back on. Sun is out bright,so I turned it back off. Fisrt time we saw the sun in a week. Was 38 here last night.

Thank You Sponsors!