iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Early Model Logrite?

Started by alecs, April 16, 2013, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

Here's some pics of a cant hook that was in our barn when we moved in.  Any guesses as to the vintage?  I've got some other sawmill-related items that I'll try to get photos of for your amusement.

Enjoy!

thecfarm

Way before my Father's time. I have 2-3 of his,but none look like that one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

I'd say home made.  I have the iron and part of a handle on a very old one someplace.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Are you thinking of a different one than you gave to me Bib? I know right where that one is. ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

I'd suspect handmade as well.
But still a good find. Couldn't guess if it is just 40 year old, or 100.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I am thinking that that ( Mr. Tom) is not a cant hook , I have yet to ever see a cant hook with adjustable hook, but have seen barrel openers made similar to this.  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Which photo? Nothing adjustable about the one I have.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

First pic in the post Jeff, the hook goes through the handle and has two holes past the handle....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

t f flippo

I'm guessing cant hook. Buy the hook from Sears n Robuck or the local smith amd make your own handle.

Haven't checked Mercer yet, and R.A.Salaman doesn't show any cant hooks with the mortise/hook.
But,(isawlogs) he does show a hooping dog/lever hook/ coopers tang that looks very similar with the hook n mortise,but shorter in lenght (I think).The the hook has an angled end as opposed to a point,like in the pics.

Tc

millwright

Look's homemade to me, I've found lot's of old cant hooks while digging around old logging camps and never seen one that is adjustable, though it looks like a good idea.

alecs

Here are some new photos of a genuine peavey that I found in my barn.  (The barn was full of tools from the previous owners - and likely owners before them - when we moved there in 2010.)
This one says "P. V. Cant Dog" on one side, and "Bangor, Maine" on the other side.  Any guesses as to the age of it?  The property was an active sawmill until the 1870s, so it is possible (and likely) that it dates to that period.  I read that Mr. Peavey came up with the idea for the peavey in 1857.

GDinMaine

If you are interested in the history, it is right here. http://peaveymfg.com/history
The original company is still around and luckily quite well.  They are pretty much the largest employer in my town. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

I checked and mine are still there.    ;D

The pictures that is.    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have at least 2 of the old ones. The one I use on the sawmill was not made in Bangor. I had a hard time to read it. will have to clean it up some too read it. I think the other one is in the farm house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!