iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Red Pine seedlings

Started by Jeff, April 19, 2004, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Forest, Mineral and Fire Management Division is offering free red pine seedlings for planting on lands open to the public (schools, parks, cemeteries, golf courses, community gardens, etc.)  Seedlings are bareroot, 3-0 and approximately 18 inches tall.

These red pines are not intended as a substitute for tree planting projects that would use previously ordered Conservation District or nursery seedlings.  They also cannot be planted on private land or used in seeding giveaway programs.

Seedlings will be delivered to various areas around the state and will be available for pickup as soon as it can be arranged.  Minimum quantity is  1,000 seedlings.  Projects can join together to meet this requirement if needed.  

If you have tree planting projects that would benefit by red pine
seedlings, please fill out the attached form and contact Ada Takacs at
takacsa@michigan.gov or 989-275-5151, Extension 2049 to reserve your
order today.

Note from Jeff: I have the form if someone needs it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I just paid $212.00 a 1000 for the same seedlings from the very same folks.  :-/  I wonder if my property would qualify as public land, 'cause the public sure as heck thinks it is.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

From my experience, those 3-0 red pine are the cats meow. They have high survival rates if planted early and handled properly. Many acres planted on abandoned farmland here in the early 90's. They'de be great on golf course land.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark M

I think we have some public land over here in ND that could use some trees.  ::)

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You think they COULD use some trees?
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Tell ya something about red pine. They will survive in partial shade, BUT...they will grow very slow. I have some that are in partial shade and only 2 to 3.5 feet tall. I have some in full sun and they are 10 feet tall, all planted in 1992; 2 year old container stock. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chet

QuoteTell ya something about red pine. They will survive in partial shade, BUT...they will grow very slow.

Well DanG it Mark, red pine should be perfect for ND. Da one thing I never remember seeing too much of in ND was shade.  :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Stan

I'd be willin' to bet that Michigan would want somethin' in return for trees sent to Dakota.  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Danny_S

Swampdonkey,  

Where does a man (or a woman) go to get some pine seedlings here in N.B.? I want some just for private use, maybe 1000 or so. I have heard that black spruce is good also to plant on old pasture,. what do you think? What do all of you think???
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

SwampDonkey

White spruce and red pine are best for fields. Black spruce is so slow to grow in girth, all there growth is in height. They don't have as long a growing season as white spruce either, about 3 weeks difference in flushing. Go to your local forest products marketing board in Fredericton. Ask those folks about the Federal 20/20 carbon credit program or the provincial government's silviculture assistance program on private woodlots.  For provincial assistance you need a 25 acre woodlot and the planting site has to be at least 1/2 acre in size. For the Federal program I don't think you need to own woodland, and the assistance may be greater. But, the field has to have been recently farmed (within 5 years) with very few woody shrubs on site (Federal). You can get assistance to prepare the planting site (scarify or spray) , to plant the trees, to tend the trees and possibly in the purchasing of the trees. Every marketing board gets the same assistance program, but they administer things differently and set their own payout rates. If your planting the trees here and there, they will probably sell them at cost, which runs around $160/thousand. If they don't have any red pine or spruce available down there in Fredericton, I'm sure Doug Woods (office:392-6997) can supply 1000 from the Carleton-Victoria Board in Florenceville.

www.ysc.nb.ca  or call (office: 444-6644) Fredericton

good luck ;)

Danny_S

Thanks swamp.... I will look into it. A friend of mine has about 30 acres of farm fields he figures he will plant. I will steer him towards those programs. I just have about 3 acres on my fathers old farm, I have a small camp on it and it is all cleared area and  Iwouldnt  mind planting it.  

Thanks again :)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Thank You Sponsors!