iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting juniper

Started by Barney II, April 15, 2013, 09:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney II

I have a local contractor that wants me to cut some juniper.  This juniper comes from Oregon---if that makes a difference or not I don't know.  The reason for asking is that the contractor is telling me that it is really really hard and that he has a hard time even grinding it down---true or is not that hard. If anyone has cut any juniper if you would let me know how it went I would greartly appreciate any incite to cutting it.    Thanks Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Ianab

I think it is pretty hard, compared to most "softwoods" anyway. Knots and the changes in harndess around them are probably the issue you are going to have. The knots are VERY hard and you might get the blade wandering around them?. Sharp band and a slower feed rate should work though. It's certainly not impossible to saw or anything, it just might not the the easiest.

I imagine those very hard knots would give a grinder a hard time, probably worse than trying to saw them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mikeb1079

just found an excellent page detailing some properties of western juniper and other similar softwoods.  i've not sawn wj but according to the info here it rates lower on hardness than eastern red cedar, which i have milled and it cuts easy, so it should be relatively easy to mill.

http://juniper.oregonstate.edu/factsht.htm
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

mesquite buckeye

All the junipers I have cut (alligator, oneseed, ERC) have been easier than any hardwoods.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

redprospector

I've never milled any of the "Western" Juniper, but I have milled quite a bit of the Alligator Bark Juniper that we have here in New Mexico & Arizona. Our Juniper mills pretty good. A little slower feed rate than in Ponderosa Pine, and you may want just a little more set, but it mills nicely.
Our Juniper is bad about end checking, and sometimes splitting 1/2 the length of the log if milled green. I let all of mine sit in the yard for about a year before I cut it.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

captain_crunch

It saws like ceader as in easy unless it be old and dry. What he has is piled by BLM to save water??? love to saw it Live in Oregon and wish I had train load to saw
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

kderby

I mill juniper with standard blades and no hesitation....all day...every day.  The taper contributes to more waste but the logs are purchased on scale.  The taper is not counted in the purchase price.

Western Juniper is primarily an Oregon species (ten million acres).  Idaho, Washington, Nevada and California have some acreage as well.  It is a problem that has been expanding its area and density.  Natural fire cycles have been constrained because of Smokey Bear and grazing practices (fine fuel removal).  The juniper is responding.  We are losing shrub steppe acres, very similar to the Eastern Red Cedar situation and prairie loss.  Most juniper "treatment" is pushing it into a pile and burning it.  I mill the larger trees into lumber and landscaping material.  It has a nice aroma and contrasting salmon with ivory coloration to the heartwood and sapwood.  The heartwood has superb decay resisting properties.

I can learn from the observations of others that have milled it so be sure to chime in.

Kderby  junipersawmill.com 

Barney II

Thank you very much for all your help---sounds like I shouldn't have too tough a job.  Yes, the taper is really bad from 22'' down to 12'' within 7' .  Thanks again guys it is appreciated.   Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

kderby

Juniper trees with taper like that, we call "carrots."  Much of what I mill is mixed into the pine and more like a regular log. 

What is he going to make with the lumber? 

If there are any insects, just consider them part of the package.  They wander off when they are bored.

KD

Barney II

:DI guess I would call it a carrot too.  He is using the material for a mantel of sorts and some other trim around the fireplace.  There is only one log( carrot  ;D) so it is not a really big deal---just wanted to be sure of where I was going with this job. 
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Thank You Sponsors!