iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest Education for Kids

Started by John Vander, April 15, 2013, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

I'm looking for infomation on how to set up forestry educational programs for kids (ages 9 to 12). I'm working on shaping my woodlot into an area where I could take kids and educate them about nature. I'm looking for plans on how to build walkways, fun areas etc. Any advice or ideas? I would most appreciate it.
Thanx, John
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

beenthere

Rather than a walkway, just buy them boots to wear for hiking in the woods. Cheaper too.

Fun areas? let the woods be the "fun" and have it as natural as can possibly be for them. Rather than make it like a park or a "Disney Land" walk-through (no offense, and am sure that is not your intention).

Have been faced with somewhat the same thing with a local outdoor area for our local grade school. Sure, the parents don't send their kids to school with "romping in the woods" clothes on, but that to me would be the most "fun". ;)
This area is so grown in with brush due to neglect (i.e. those who don't want it touched for any reason) that now there is consideration to arm the kids with loppers and send them in to cut brush. Not sure how that is going to go over, but will see.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Vander

beenthere, thanx for the reply. Yeah, I want to keep things as natural as possible. The walkway idea is for a variety of reasons: Here in Japan, most, if not all, wooded areas are located on mountains with a lot of sloping. We experience flash floods and typhoons, meaning that disturbed topsoil erodes tremendously fast. The walkways are built above the ground, about 2 feet high. This is a technique used by pro foresters in Japan to preserve sensitive understory areas. It's also a method to avoid stepping on a Japanese pit viper, which would mean the end. Tough thing is getting materials up there! To get to my woodlot includes a 30meter climb with ropes!

Pete and Jesse

Here is a link to the online 4-H Forestry Curriculum.
May not be what you want, hopefully you can find some useful things in it.

http://new.4-hcurriculum.org/projects/forestry/

John Vander

Thank you very much! This is great stuff!

Thank You Sponsors!