iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swamp Shenanigan

Started by DanG, January 02, 2004, 01:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

BigDogPC has suggested a gettogether of Southern members, this spring, and several of us have jumped at the opportunity.
It has been moved and seconded that the above-mentioned shindig be held at Harold's camp near Palatka. We ain't voted yet, though, so that is tentative. It was also suggested that it be either in late March, or late April. March will be cooler, and Harold has plenty of old logs from the river that we could make a bonfire with. ;D
This is gonna happen, folks, and it's gonna be fun. Make your suggestions and plans now.  More details will follow as decisions are made.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

At least let me check with the owners of the camp and see what arrangements they may have for long distance visitors to stay overnight or 2.  ::) ::) Going up to the camp on Sunday night. Will report back in soon as I can.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

Got some info for the "Southern Connection" to kick around.

There are 2 mobile homes at the camp. One has 2 bedrooms and the other has 3. They SHOULD be empty by the first of April. There will be plenty of spots available for those that have a motorhome. We are working on nightly rates. More on that at a later date.

We will have access to the screened in Pavilion and the Pig Cooker. There may be a few campers there that might wander in. I told the owner, anyone in the camp is welcome.

Being as how Dan will be away for the first 2 weeks in April, we might start planning on the 3rd weekend or during the week is OK by me. We are always there. ::) ;D ;D

What say, guys ???  Who brings what and how much???
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Sound's great, Harold! 8)  3rd weekend(Apr 17-18) is good for me, or during the week is OK, too.  Linda works every other weekend, and that is an "off" one for her, as the schedule stands now. She really wants to come with me! 8)
How about some input from some of the others?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Talked to the "Boss Lady" at the Campground, on Tuesday. She said the 2 mobile homes should be empty and available, if anyone needs housing for a day or two.  She is getting a rate schedule figured for us.

We are not at the Campground, but, at a job, sawing.  I will check with her this coming week and report back.

We also got some new info on where a few NICE logs are supposed to be laying on the bottom.  (2 years ago).  That should make a good "Show and Tell".  ::) ;D ;D  Y'all bring yer dive gear :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

My off weekend for April is 10 11 12, But I aint but one person schedule it when is best for wverybody,and I'll come if I can
   DIS GON BE FUN SHOOOEEE!!!
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jeff

I'd have trouble with that one weekend a month stuff. I'm havin enough trouble with the one weekend a week stuff. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I hoid dat, Jeff. I'm thinkin' about workin' weekends and takin' the rest of the week off. ;D

Hey, Dail! I assume you get days off in mid-week. I don't think we're tied to just weekends. We might could schedule in the middle of a week. Most of us down here are old fots that don't have no regular job, or got fired for settin' the help on fire, and that sort of thing. We could probably do it just any ol' time we want to. ;D :) :)

dail_h

Yeah I do get days off in the middle of the week,but never mor'n two at a time. Set the date,an I'll do what I hafta.
      Volume Discount At ER

Fla._Deadheader

I'm workin on it.  Gotta co-ordinate with the Campground.
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

Jeff,
   I have problems with the whole GP thing,I'm workin on it
      Volume Discount At ER

jwood

DanG  Dan  mama dont know i got fired fir settin that cuban on fire ...i told her they jus didnt have that much more work ta
do..oh well she wants to be there for the git together so i guess she'll find out sooner than later..lookin forward to see in
ya'll again..i'll start see in what i can come up with to chip in for eats...and weekend of the 17th sounds good

dail_h

Hey Jwood,
   How'd that cuban burn? We got a fleet of mexicans at work,and since I'm at the boiler ,if they burn good,I could save GP some $$$ on the fuel bill. ;D ;D ;D ;D
      Volume Discount At ER

DanG

Woops! Maybe I shoodent have mentioned that unfortunate incident. :-X  As I understand it, it wasn't the actual Cuban gentleman that combusted, but rather just his britches. Now I can just imagine that if you was to convince a person of Mexican heritage to give up his britches for the sake of GP's farwood budget, they would probably do a fine job of conflagratin' from what I've observed. I imagine, however, that with all the booze you would have to invest in the project, you might be better off to just install an alcohol burner.

Fla._Deadheader

Here's the latest from the Campground. We will have access to the Pavilion and probably the kitchen attached to it. Just gotta keep things neat and cleaned up.

Prices for RV's with 50 Amp hook-up are $25.00 per night/ 2 people.

There will be 4 seperate units available, ranging from RV's to Mobile homes. Prices are $50.00 per night/ 2 people. $10.00 extra per person, over 2 people. On these units, a $100.00 deposit is required and refundable if the units are left clean, as when they are rented to us.

They are looking forward to having the group, and I suspect that the setting will be attractive to visitors in the future.

NOW, who's bringing what???  We have access to a Pig Cooker outside, and there is firewood, if we cut it. No big deal. Even OAK  ;D ;D ;D

Anytime after the 15th of April is open. What say, guys???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bigdogpc

I'm waiting to hear a date for this swamp thang...

jwood

dail  i didn't set da man on fire just his britches,although he looked like he was smokin pretty good as he went up over the railing of the bridge . when he came back with the boss man
 he looked like he was wearin knickers..

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Jim, what's a good day or 2 for the gathering at the Swamp???
   First, it is ridiculed;

jwood

Fla DH  most weekends after march 14 are ok ..there was one post about april 17 ...i dont have a real job so i can take most any weekend or week day...but remember if we are camping the skeeters will get worse as it warms up..heck we've only had 4 days of short sleeve weather an they are aready gettin bad here..april 16th an17th sounds good..how bout some directions to that place your talkin about..i'd like to drive over an check it out..

Fla._Deadheader

Sure, Would you come over on 40 or come in from Palatka???
   First, it is ridiculed;

jwood

fla. i would be coming from palatka but if ya think 40 is easier
directions i cld come that way

Fla._Deadheader

Palatka is easier.  Go through Palatka and stay on 17 South. About 8 miles or so, there will be a stop and go traffic light. Road sign says Welaka to the right. Turn right, that is Hwy 309. Take it through Welaka and right on down through Fruitland. Don'T blink in Fruitland. You might miss it :D

About 2 miles South of Fruitland, there is a fairly sharp left hand curve. RIGHT AFTER the curve, there will be 4 Propane Ball tanks and Foam balls, all paimted BLUE. THAT is Riverwood RV Park. Turn in there and cruise around. The office is at the end of the road, on the River.

Let us know yer schedule and we could meet up at the campground. We will be sawing another 2 weeks in San Mateo, on the Widow's logs. Then, we picked up 4 sawing jobs around home, and we have some mods to do on the mill, so we will take it home, to Sebastian, for a couple of weeks.
   First, it is ridiculed;

crosscut

still confused here about a date on this thing but i can bring all the firewood and more than a few sawlogs if someone wants to get a debate about sawmillls going hehehe

Fla._Deadheader

I was thinkin we about HAD things organized, then everbody went an DIED ::) ::) ::)  Ain't heard from nobody, even after I posted dates and "spenses" for lodging.

We are going to take the mill to Georgia, very soon, and do some house pattern sawing for an X partner. Be gone fer 3 days, total.

Also gotta go and bury the Mother-in-law. She died just before Christmas. ::) ::)

GOT logs :) :) :) :) :)  NEED MEMBERS ::) ::) ::) ::)

Guests are welcome, too ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

FDH, Apr 16-17 is fine with me, or any time after that. Since you seem to be "hosting" this auspicious occasion, I think you should have final say on the date.

Has anybody heard from BigdogPC?  Last I heard, he had to move his mill :'( and he ain't been seen since. ???  He was the one who suggested this thing, to start with, so we oughta do what we can to make sure he can be there.

Thank You Sponsors!