iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BF/hr rates advertised (because I'm a hard head)

Started by OlJarhead, April 12, 2013, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Ok So I was wondering today:  how does WM or others determine the BF/HR rate of their machines?

If they base it on Pine that it's not gonna happen with Oak! lol....if it's Oak then pine will fly by...

How do they rate a machine?  Anyone know?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

pnyberg

I don't know specifics, but I'm sure those numbers are based on the most optimistic assumptions possible.

--Peter
No longer milling

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

And 20 year olds that still have some energy.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mesquite buckeye

You could ask them, but I think the numbers come from competitions. I don't think they go like that all day, every day. If I get more than 200 bd ft/day cutting mesquite, I'm happy. Sure would be a dream to do the printed numbers.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

AdamT

I've often wondered the same thing and I'm glad you asked!

I can saw random 1x's at a faste rate than I can framing lumber of the same length and specie. Take it up to 8/4 (although rare for me) and well you get the idea, I can twice as fast as 1x.

I can smoke through 16-25" 12' logs. That's my sweet spot.
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

hamish

Dependant upon species and size of logs the advertised rates can go either way.  Look at it as a guesstimate.
A well stacked and orientated log deck, an off bearer with some initiative and warm matter between there ears, makes a huge difference.

With uniform sized logs, at times I have found it beneficial to make cants out of them first then, reload then saw lumber.  Trying to get every piece of useable wood out a log makes for a lot more cutting, positioning, etc....
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

I read somewhere that that (Tom) is just a gee whiz figure showing the highest production possible.  It is nothing that you could or would regularly do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Interesting posts.

Perhaps part of the issue is some of the rates I see posted by sawyers on websites as well.  One guy says he mills 2000-3000bf/day.  I'm assuming an 8hr day so that means he mills 250-375bf/hr with his LT40.  If on the other hand he's only milling 6 hrs....well you can do the math.

I'm guessing that milling rates are based on one log milled flat out with no CANT and of course a softwood :P

After all, live sawing a nice big 185bf pine at 4/4 on my LT10 could easily be done 30 minutes which would mean I was milling at 370bf/hr.....

But no one counts that! lol

Seriously though, from my standpoint as a guy trying to get his business model right I'd think this is an important figure to know.  At least know it well enough to predict possible earnings off of a job.  For example if a customer tells you they want you to mill up 3000bf of Doug Fir they have stacked and ready how do you quote them if you don't know the milling rate you can produce at?

Personally I am learning to look at what will be milled first -- meaning if the logs are 150-190bf of lumber and if I know I can do one of those in 90 minutes or less then I can at least guesstimate that 10 of those will take me 15hrs to mill so if I'm milling at a $50/hr rate then I can tell the customer I'd be about $750 which, if I did my math right, works out to about $0.45/bf. 

But anyway, I look at my little mill which is supposed to mill at 100bf/hr but last weekend I milled 98bf/hr sustained over 6.5hrs (not including the flitches which I have yet to edge - which means I really did more than that) and milled my last log at 135bf/hr rate (again not including the flitches). Seems Woodmizer determined it's rate based on a relative newby milling Pine! :D :P

thecfarm

On a manual mill I feel I can just about cut another log by the time I do the flitches.  :D  I find it alot easier to do the flitches after each log. That way there are just about the same size kinda and I can tell what to do and how to put each one onto the mill to get the most from it,while it is still fresh in my mind. I have sawed 2-3 logs and than go back and saw them. I just did not like it that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I always figured it is better to speak to the horse first hand. This eliminates allot of  jibber jabber, this said, the figures I last saw, wmz figures their numbers on logs 16" small end 16' long.   Lots of blade time in these logs, which always boils down to more production.  Keep your blade in the log!  this is what makes bdft'g 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Eric,

As one point of reference, on my 15 HP LT15 from 2001 to 2012, I averaged a little over 100 BF/engine running hour cutting 4/4 hardwood working alone.  I have kept records on everything that I have sawn.  All logs were 10' 6" or less (no real long stuff since I only had two bed sections with max cut length of 11').  I typically cut for max grade so that results in more cant turning, and is very time consuming.  Edging is also a real time consumer and harder on the body. 

I believe your numbers look OK for general sawing softwood with a mix of 1x and 2x.  If you were cutting only 4/4 hardwood like oak, your production might be lower over the long term.  I also believe that your hourly rate of $50 is the minimum you should charge, and with the manual mill and all the hard work, $.45/BF is more than fair to charge for you services.  If others with bigger faster mills can do it for less, more power to them.  Some people work too cheap, and I can see that you are really thinking this thing through and looking at facts and data.

I agree with Ray.  If the flitches to be edged build up, they will kill you and make you go crazy  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

I almost wish there was something like that for my mill.
Sunday I sawed just over 300 bf in about 4 hours. That was by myself, going to get the logs from where I had previously fell and prepped them each time, loading them and all. That's just under half of the 160 bf that the LT10 advertises, with what I would think would be ideal conditions, ideal logs, more than 1 person and at least 1 with some experience. :D
I do think anyone should really look at prep time very seriously, especially when bidding. Just because a mill can saw "X" amount of bf/hr certainly doesn't mean it's going to turn out that way.
Allan

OlJarhead

Oh I'd be surprised if I could mill hardwood at better then 50bf/hr frankly. 

mesquite buckeye

Also think about what percentage of loss you get to rot pockets and other defects you have to trim off the finished board.

Takes me almost as long to do the edging and end trimming as it takes to mill the whole log.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

losttheplot

I am pretty sure I average 100bdft per hour of working, cutting soft wood on my manual Norwood by myself.
If the logs are staged next to the mill.

Having a helper increases production, however, changing from 13hp to 20hp did not make a huge difference in total output.
Although it does make milling much more enjoyable.

I found experience (and the Forestry Forum) were the biggest boost to "production".

I like to edge the flitches as I go, when the cant is down to 6 or 8" I use it as a back stop to hold up the flitches. I find this easier and quicker than using the stops on the mill.

Your mill setup looks well thought out and I am sure, once you've got a few hours under your belt, the sawdust will be flying  :)

I think sawmill manufactures calculate maximum output the same way as sears calculate the maximum horse power of their electric power tools.

Its the largest amount obtainable before catastrophic meltdown occurs  smiley_tom_dizzy02

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

scully

After doing my first mill job I learned a few things ,one is a log book ! from now on I am going to record hour meter start and stop as well as scale BF from each log milled to keep a running tally ! I am one who needs a detailed list to keep track and my organizational skills suck ! That being said I find it challangeing to figure out my production rate . Obviously the mill one has is part of the equation as well as offbearer help etc ,but I like the comment about not working to cheap ! Your mill will make great lumbar and you should get payed for breakin your butt ! Not sure if this helps but I am on a sharp learning curve as well and it gets a tad confuseing to me at times !
I bleed orange  .

OlJarhead

I use the following for my log:

Log # -- SE DIA -- Length -- INF BF Calc -- CANT Size -- Thickness/width of lumber -- total# produced -- Total BF

I then list flitches produced into lumber and any odd sizes produced if any.  An example would be the following:

#6 in the batch we worked last Sat:
6 -- 15.25" -- 8' -- 75 -- 11.25x11.25 -- 1.75 -- 11.25 -- 5 -- 66bf
6 -- ditto -- ditto -- ditto -- ditto -- 2" -- 11.25 -- 1 -- 15bf
6 -- ditto -- ditto -- ditto -- ditto -- 0.5" -- 11.25 -- 1 -- 4bf
Total overall for the log = 85bf produced

Why the 2" piece?  I was also making some 8/4 stuff for a porch I'm making, the 1.75 is also for that (different usage) and the 1/2 was just something I could get out of the log without wasting it -- I hate waste and I'll use that for trim later.

To be fair, when milling for myself I don't mill to dimensional sizes very often.  I'd rather have a bunch of 2x10's or 2x12's that I can later rip to whatever I want then a bunch of 2x6's and be wishing for some 2x12's :)

I also record start and stop times on my sheet as well as break times -- basically a time card.

I use a spreadsheet that does all the calcs for me later so I don't concentrate on that until I enter it into the spreadsheet.

Also, I scale the logs first and label them when I do so I know which log I'm milling and what I should be able to get out of it.  On my clipboard I have the INT 1/4 scale on the front and on the back I have the INT 1/4 scale plus 15% and a CANT size chart based on SE DIA size.  That way I have a target when I'm milling and don't really need to think about it.

I also have an old log book from my military days that's a 'flight' log type binder (small cargo pocket size, rubberized pages etc) that I keep scales etc in so I have a reference in the truck too.

I like to go into the pile of logs knowing what I'm going to do ahead of time.  Makes it easier to figure out what I should get etc

SwampDonkey

I look at those kind of things as a 'target' that may or may not be reached. One may want to see how close one can get to it or exceed it. Just depends on how efficient you become and how fussy you are on logs specs your sawing from.  ;D

Same with forest harvesters. But, I would be looking at 3rd party time studies that organizations like FERIC used to do on machines coming on the market. They look at different real time conditions, not the optimum.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

Woodmizer has a video that explains their production rates. In the video they conducted tests with three mills. They used a 40 manual, 40 hd, and a 50.

They used different length logs and also different diameters. Yes, they used nice logs and probably had a great working environment, but i think they tried to be objective and fair in their testing.

As I've learned here, it's not all about the cutting rates, but your setup is even more important to production rates

MReinemann

Getting around 250bd/ft an hour with my 35hd working alone.  Not sure what you guys are getting.  I almost came close to the woodmizer number when cutting cants for crane mats. 
-Matt

t f flippo

OL, Good question. I used to think about it a lot.My mill is "rated " at 2000bf a day.A different manufactor's ,with the same specs., rates theirs at 3000bf.The mill can saw more than I can.
I just need an average of what I can do if I'm doing custom for a customer.

Rooster, You're right.The more I think about setup the more bf I can produce.The biggest increase came when I built a 'dead' log deck....logs rolled right on the mill.Rollers.Can't have enough rollers.
I drag just about everything back and onto rollers.....ties to the left,pallet stock to the right.

It's not what I can saw in a day,it's the average for the week.4-8hrs on the edger and 6-8hrs bucking and stacking saw logs lowers my bf sawed real fast.

Thanks to All for the good comments.

Tc

OlJarhead

I can see having the logs all ready to load and at mill height helping a lot just as, I'm sure, having a forklift/tractor load the logs must also make a big difference.

Rollers on the deck that can allow a log to be more easily moved must be helpful too.

t f flippo

OL,  I've been geting my rollers at steel salvage yards or auctions.Couple years ago they were $20-25.The last I bought were $40 -50 a piece  24" x 10' Still worth the money for what they do.Then I make wood frames/legs the same hgt as the mill,edger,ect.

My 'dead' log deck I built same hgt as the mill bed. Used 30" butt cuts,knotched for 4" x 12" rails.
Good logs I can roll by hand/cant hook,bad logs are 'delivered' forklift direct.I can still use my hydr.
logloader for big fletch slabs and big cant resaws. Will try n get some pics for you.

Tc

Bandmill Bandit

There are so many variables that go into this number that it is hard to try and spike it to one number.

With my modified LT40 I can go any where from under a 100bf/hr to over a 1000. On Thursday I did just over 800BF In 70 minutes sawing 6"x8"x14' out of logs so evenly sized and I was getting 2 of them out of the log in 5 cuts. Got 3 out of 2 of the logs. And I was alone to boot cutting pine.

With a good helper I know I can push that well over the 1000BF hour. If I start to cut so I take out the available 2nd cut slabs it will drop even with good help.

Sustainable rate on this job I think is going to be in the range of 700.
All I do is cut and stack 6x8x 12, 14, 16 and 3x10 x 12, 14, 16. I do not load the roll way, remove any of the waste or finished material. My job is to keep the band In the log. I like it a lot.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OlJarhead

Love to see some good log deck pics.  Thinking about making some portable set ups for my mill.

Bandmill Bandit

I find it is just quicker to set up a roll way out of available logs and then saw them the last. Found that trying to transport t and set up 20 footer is just to much work and any thing shorter is kind of a wast e of time. IMHO
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

mesquite buckeye

I have yet to see a 20 ft mesquite log. Our average is 3-6ft. Once in a while we can find one 10ft or so, but pretty rare. :-\

Brucer

The published sawing rates are usually based on the following:

- optimum sized logs.
- "easy" logs ... straight, not too much taper, green, etc.
- "someone else" stages the logs.
- "someone else" removes the product.
- "someone else" removes the slabs and edgings.
- the time spend disposing of the waste, and bucking the logs isn't included.
- maintenance time and refuelling isn't included.
- the sawing runs are half a day or less so operator fatigue isn't an issue.
- the weather is reasonably good.

I calculate my production over the period of a month and then figure out a daily rate from that.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

t f flippo

Brucer, Very good post.I didn't answer OL's question.I instead offered an opinion.
With your list of 'specs', I wonder what kind of production/bf the mill n I could turn out.

Regards,

Tc

Ianab

Big difference is what  the mill COULD potentially do, and what YOUR operation can do.

Take a manual mill, and work alone, with little support equipment. What percentage of the time is the blade actually cutting? Bet it's not much. Loading logs, offloading, disposing of waste etc. Maybe 25% of the time is actually cutting?

Now take the same mill. Get a couple keen helpers, put them in a saw shed so you don't have to worry about the weather, give them a forklift, racks and roller tables etc to handle material. One guy saws, one offloads the other gets logs staged and moves material with the forklift. Give them nice straight medium size logs. Now the last board comes off, next log goes on and gets dogged down in the time that you are raising the head back up for the next cut. Now you keep the saw in the wood 75% of the time. Same mill, but you cut 3X the material....

Which operation does the manufacturer rate the mill on?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brucer

To some extent I think the various manufacturer's force each other to use the most optimistic rate. I've seen the way the numbers are reported change over the years.

The manual for the 1996 LT40 hydraulic I ran one summer said the mill could produce up to 1000 BF per day with one operator, or 2000 BF per day with two.

In 2004 & 2005 the advertising literature said the LT40 hydraulic could produce from 250 BF/hr to 400 BF/hr. A footnote said "Due to many variables actual production figures will vary."

Now the literature just gives the larger number.

I
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bandmill Bandit

Yup Brucer

If I calculate for all the work that goes into getting straight lumber I end up at pretty much  half of what I actually get cut in an hour of pure sawing.

Job I am on right now is a dream job. All I do is saw and take care of the mill.
My helper stacks and bands lumber and keeps the saw site tidy. Cut just over 6000 in 8.5 hours including lunch time of about 30 minutes yesterday so right around 700BF/h. I am cutting nice clean fresh straight pine 12 and 14 footers average diameter is around 14 to 16  inches small end with minimal taper. I hope can maintain that.

petefrom bearswamp

BF per hr ratings by manufacturers in my opinion can be compared to the EPA gas mileage ratings. Not realistic.
I cannot approach these ratings.
For me a great day is 2- 2.5 mbf. when I have help.
I am too slow i guess.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tom L

Job I am on right now is a dream job. All I do is saw and take care of the mill.
My helper stacks and bands lumber and keeps the saw site tidy. Cut just over 6000 in 8.5 hours including lunch time of about 30 minutes yesterday so right around 700BF/h. I am cutting nice clean fresh straight pine 12 and 14 footers average diameter is around 14 to 16  inches small end with minimal taper. I hope can maintain that.
[/quote]

wow that is kickin butt, that's a log every 15 minutes. must be set up perfect.
I had one like that once, all poplar logs 28-30" diameter and 14 ft long, the guy had his 11 yr old son running a backhoe, and his 9 yr old son running a lull forklift, and both kids were great, never had to wait for a log and all the boards and scrap were off the mill in a hurry. the kids were board after 5 hrs so we quit. worked out at 530 ft per hr.
most of the time I average 200 with a normal setup. all still below the rated 675 brd ft per hour rating of the machine

Tom the Sawyer

When I was looking for a mill and saw those figures it seemed that most were "up to" figures, many with disclaimers.  Some manufacturers may have actually polled their customers to find out a realistic figure but there are so many variables that I would never take those rates as a guarantee.  The Sawmill Shootout reports would give you an idea of what a finely tuned mill, with an experienced team, under ideal conditions, is capable of turning out - not a real world situation.   blindsmiley

If it would have made that much difference then perhaps I would have visited more mills or asked detailed questions.  I had hired several different mills over the years and I had a pretty good idea of what they were capable of.  Board feet per hour, or per day, was not a consideration. 

After all, it is a marketing tool, and once you've signed on the dotted line its yours.  You can't rely on a glossy brochure or a salesman's asssurances to make your decision.   no_no 

smiley_reading_book  Read forums, talk to other owners, watch them in operation and ask questions.  Buying a mill, or anything else that represents a substantial amount of money, without investigating it thoroughly, can often lead to buyer's remorse.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Bandmill Bandit

I FORGOT TO TAKE A PIC.

BUT will post one on friday when i am back home on friday.

The MOST benifical "mod" I have done to date is amazing. Saves fuel, reduced alternator operating temp to a the point I can actually put my hand on it while the mill is running. power to all electrics has never been so stable. i am gona go out on a limb and say my electrical re[pair cost will be lowered and the life of electrical components significantly increased. I will see if I can post a pic from my i pad tomorrow. If i cant get it done that way it will come on friday.

Cost of mod was about 30 bucks out of pocket on the weekend as i had collected the major components from garage/auctions sales over the years. if i include the cost of those, cost would be about 100 bucks.

There is a 2010 LT70 operating in the same location and he says my mill can move logs around  a lot faster then his 70 does. he figures i need another 10 to 15 HP and i would out cut his mill.

My mill has never worked this good.

700BF/hr is sustainable within current operating conditions! And not too difficult.

Now i need an in feed deck and an edger. 1000BF/hr just may be reach able. 

stefan

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 17, 2013, 08:29:11 AM
Yup Brucer

If I calculate for all the work that goes into getting straight lumber I end up at pretty much  half of what I actually get cut in an hour of pure sawing.

That is a lot of lumber, great work!
But just out of curiosity, and to help me get a better picture, how many logs would that be?

francismilker

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 12, 2013, 10:34:11 PM

When you get that 10HP installed you'll be surprised.  Me and my son can turn out 150-200 an hour on 12-16" oaks right now as long as they're staged on the log decks for easy loading.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Chuck White

Well Bandit, What did you do?

Inquiring minds want to know!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OlJarhead

Quote from: francismilker on April 25, 2013, 07:05:47 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 12, 2013, 10:34:11 PM

When you get that 10HP installed you'll be surprised.  Me and my son can turn out 150-200 an hour on 12-16" oaks right now as long as they're staged on the log decks for easy loading.
With an LT10G10?

That would be a NICE improvement!  The 7hp just can't do it - it's does 100+ on Pine but anything harder and it bogs down like crazy.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Chuck White on April 25, 2013, 07:19:08 AM
Well Bandit, What did you do?

Inquiring minds want to know!  ;)

Its coming Chuck, in picture form and have to thank my electronics/electrical engineer kid for prodding me to get it built and doing the electrical part of it.

stefan
Setfan, we dont count logs just finished lumber. I will have summary of the daily cut sheets on the 30th so will be able to post accurate numbers then.

stefan

Thanks BB!
And like everybody else i am also looking forward to see what your latest "mod" is.
I have seen the other stuff you did, and it looks very good.

Bandmill Bandit

Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the mod/addition but you can just see it sitting under the tail gate of the truck if you look close. will post a close up wednesday evening when I come home to sharpen bands.

Pics of set up and lumber from 2 hours  Thursday evening after supper, through Friday quitting time. 2 lifts of 3 by 10 X 10" and 2 lifts of 1x material headed to the edger moved out just before the pics were snapped around 530 PM

Kansas

I gave up on bd ft per hour. When you might flow a log into 4 or 5 products, it isn't worth figuring. Take an oak log for trailer decking, the first cuts might go into cants for the resaw. Then you might have a few clean boards find their way into the kiln dried lumber pile. Then you hope to have some good trailer deck boards. If you run into a problem with a log, then its canted up for the resaw into some other product. Now toss in the fact that most days you have to tinker a bit with the sawmill. Change blades. Unload logs. Load mulch. Someone wanting kiln dried lumber and wanting a straight edge on it. A specialized order for the guys building skids and boxes. Moving stacks of lumber out. Bibbymans ol' fart syndrome. Using up low grade logs that slow you down. Guess its more if at the end of the day, we cut enough to meet expenses and payments. And payroll and inventory. And make some money to go with it.

Tom L

is it a dog under the tailgate? every time you stop sawing he growls at you. keeps you going so you don't get bit?

Bandmill Bandit

Sorry it has been so long to get these pics posted.

here they are and I can tell you that it is the single most effective addition I have made to my milling system to create electrical stability both in terms of voltage and amperage. Both  are VERY good now.

Mill alternator is a 135 amp (actual output on bench test after rebuild) and this one is putting out 105 amp.

I run the little Honda at about 2000 - 2200 so the alternator should be turning at 4000 to 4400.

have to build a protective frame and add a larger fuel tank. Right now it is burning about 3 liters a day and has cut fuel burn on the mill by about 6 litres a day.

I am cutting average of 4500 to 5000 BF a day of dimensions as per the cut list I get in the morning which is pretty much 3X10, 6X8, and 6X6 in 10, 12, 14 foot lengths. Generally cut the same length for at least a week. Small end diameter is averaging about 14 inches along with a few "chop sticks" just to keep a guy humble (thanks to the $*=-=* Forestry inspectors).

Any 4X6, wind slabs, along with 1x , 2X side lumber that heads to the edger is not included in this figure and so far over 3 weeks is averaging about another 1200 to 1500BF per day. Total cut as of last Friday was 28,684 BF and have cut 24000 + this week  I am pretty happy so far but I think I can get another 1000 +/-  a day with a few efficiency improvements in material handling.

24 to 25 MBF a week is ok but i would like to get up to 30 MBF by the end of May. Pretty sure I an make it happen       

stefan

:D I looked at thoose pictures over and over, and i was also under the impression it was a dog.

That is a pretty clever setup.

Thank You Sponsors!