iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: I GOT ME ONE, I GOT ME ONE

Started by Den Socling, April 14, 2004, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I did a quick search for Beech Russ and didn't find much but these guys.

http://www.genemco.com/acatalog/Equipment_Catalog_Vacuum_Pumps_90.html

Sure is a lot of used vac pumps out there.

If the Beech Russ will pull vac, it will work.

Fla._Deadheader

Here she is. Ain't she a Beauty ???

NOW, how do we convert this thing to a wood dryin, board spittin, money makin piece of machinery ??? ???  8)  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ronwood

Fla._Deadheader,

How big is the tank? Needs a little paint to make it a beauty.  :D :D :D :D
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Fla._Deadheader

She's 40" across and 14 foots long.

If we paint it, them code-enforcin hound dogs will find it. This-a-way, they expect it to be UNused. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

is it a bomb?
just had to ask, you did say wood splittin
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Buzz-sawyer

Harold
1000 gal. ought ta do it eh? When ya gona start sucking the juice outa those cypress trees?
Gunna use vac or dh ?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

RED, that was S-P-I-T-T-I-N  ;D :D :D :D

VAC all the way, according to Den  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Den Socling

cool  8)

I'll do an estimate of how much 12' lumber might be loaded into the 'beauty' and do a guesstimate of vac pump size. and you probably know how a couple pieces of angle, with one flat side up, can make a track in cylinder. And we can talk about the heating system. Maybe I can do a really good deal for you on a controller. yep. I'm excited.  :D

shopteacher

Herold you's as lucky as a swamp dog with water wings. I'm envious now.  Get that thing up and running and I'm coming down to copy it.  If you need any relays, transforners, switchs, magnetic starters, fuses and holders let me know. I've collected a whole shelf full of junk, ah, that is  good use electrical components. Got a numbers of motors also.
Good Luck with the construction and post pic along the way.
 Lets see where did I pass that big propane tank last?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Ole Jason sent me some sorta elec-tronical contrapshun fer controllin somethin ??? ??? ???

Ain't had time to un-wrap the package yet. I gotta send him some shippin funds afore he confiscates the thingy  ;D :D

THANKS, Jason.  Does it werk ??? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Den, I got it figgered that around 850-900 bd/ft would fit in that tank. Have to make some MIGHTY skinny duct work for the air circulation dealy.

The pressure treatment plant in Deland uses a series of tanks that are about the same diameter, only LONGER.  The lumber that we sawed for the campground owner was tight bundled at 30" square and 16' long. That's 1200 bd/ft per bundle, no stickers.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jason_WI

Fl,

The last time I used that Keyence PLC it worked fine. I also sent you a programming guide and user manual. I believe it has six inputs and four outputs. Should be enough to get you going on a project like that. It is also expandable with extra input and output modules availble. I have no idea on what those cost though. Keyence still makes that PLC so it should be easy to find out costs on add on stuff.

I'll send you an IM on the shipping cost.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Jason_WI

Fl

Be careful with that open frame 24 VDC power supply I sent you with the PLC. If you grab it while plugged in it will bite back ;D :o :-/

It should be fairly straight forward to program :P

Remember it is 24 VDC inputs and 24 VDCoutputs so applying 110V to the input/output will let out the magic smoke that makes it work.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o  I seen that smoke before. Yer absitively right, it won't work if ya let that smoke out ;) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Den Socling

aw Jason! Are we going to make him face the agravation of a PLC?  :D Can't I just send him a loop controller that will run on anything from 90 to 264 volts, has relay outputs and only requires 3 connections for the RTD, 2 for power and 2 for the relay? I mean, he makes 7 connections and flips the on switch and it's done and runnin'. It tells him the temperature (right out of the box) and he pushes an up arrow or a down arrow to move the setpoint up or down. He's going to have enough of a challenge without being bored to death with a programming manual.

You must be a little geeky!  :D :D :D

Jason_WI

Den,

The open frame power supply is good for 110 and 220V. Just have to reconfigure the input in the primary of the transformer. ;D ;D

Ya, the programming may be a hurdle at first but one you get the hang if it pretty much falls together.

I have moved on to microcontrollers like the PIC16F877 that is why the PLC was collecting dust in my desk drawer.

Jason

Den Socling

Actually, he will eventually need a PLC to dump water and calculate MC and drying rate. That will be way down the road.

woodhaven

FD,
If you did decide to go this route. Why couldn't you weld pipe external of the tank for duct. Say 6 or 8" would do and save all the inside space. You got to be welding and cutting anyway.  
Richard

old3dogg

FD.
Paint it blue!Den likes blue.
Cut both ends.Easier to make repairs.Trust me on this.
Mike.

Fla._Deadheader

External pipe might work. I was concerned about the fan for sealing the duct. Wouldn't the fan be subjected to extreme conditions ??? How would you seal the wires leading to the fan, OR, how would you seal the fan itself???  No fan ???

Flanges would be my choice for connecting the duct to the tank. ???

My BIG question, is, where do you get a gasket big enough to seal the door(s) ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Den Socling

To get wires through a chamber, I run them through a 1/2" x 4" SS nipple. Temporarily wrap electrical tape tight around one end. Put the nipple in a vice with the taped end down and fill it full of potting epoxy. When the epoxy is hard, take the tape off and thread it into a fitting welded into the chamber.

Flanges are good, tight fittings.

To make a door seal, I use half-round neoprene extrusion. One flange remains flat but the other needs to have a channel configured to hold the neoprene. With my square or rectangular doors, strips of SS sheet do the job. Round is more difficult but I have a customer who managed it on two cylinders. Mike's cylinders use hydraulic hose with rope inside to keep it from getting flattened. The neoprene works a lot better.

RE: Mike's mention of blue
I 'introduced' his company to using PVC pipe for cooling water and vacuum. It's so easy to change design or make repairs to PVC. One time I walked in and found that they didn't like the look of the plastic so they painted it all blue.  :( No more easy repairs. You had to sand the DanG paint off to do any gluing.

old3dogg

I used to use the hose/rope compo but the seal didnt last long.
I found a gum rubber tupeing from Mcmaster Carr that works a lot better.Its pretty cheap,easy to put on and last forever.
I can do one of my kiln doors for under $160.
We painted the outside PVC for uv ray protection.
The inside PVC got painted because I think the RF operator just got bored.Old#22 must have been running good that night! :D

Fla._Deadheader

How do you join the ends to prevent leaking  ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Den Socling

A little silicon rubber to get a seal. Once it's sealed, atmospheric pressure will push the door down very hard which reminds me, no hinges unless they have slots that allow the door to move toward and away from the chamber.

Fla._Deadheader

Already figgered on the door movin in-out before opening or closing.  

I was maybe thinkin about welding the flange to the END of the tank material, and then, putting a split gasket over the edge of the domed end door ???  That would mash it against the flange, and there would be no need to groove one side of a flange ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!