iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with id

Started by Peacock, April 11, 2013, 04:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peacock

Got any idea what this is.  Been finding them along the edges of fields.  Range from 6" to 6' tall.  No large, mature examples nearby I've found.  The pics are in my gallery.  My PC at work isn't cooperating with me. :-[
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Peacock

Here goes...hopefully... :D

Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

mesquite buckeye

Follow down on your gallery page and you will see a button, which after you highlight the photo, says: insert photo in post.....

Try that.

Where are you? It looks a little like a juniper, but the bark doesn't look like any I know.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Peacock

Thanks for the welcome!  Been lurking for years and years....

I'm in Indiana.  Curious how big these things might get.
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

mesquite buckeye

So then it is most likely eastern red cedar, Juniperus virginiana. Looks kind of different from mine in Missouri, but they vary a lot. Up to 120', up to 4' diameter. Good luck ever seeing one that big. They do very poorly under hardwoods, much better in the sun. More realistically they might be 75' tall X 2 ft thick when they are real big. Yours have a way to go. If you want them to do anything, you have to remove the overhead trees shading them. They will speed up like crazy if they are happy.

Peacock

Thanks.  I've moved them into the edges of our yard.  They will have pretty direct sunlight for atleast half the day. 
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

mesquite buckeye

Don't let them dry out until they get established. A drought right after they go in can kill them. They make nice yard trees and nice lumber.

beenthere

Welcome from here too.

The one in the bucket appears to have a dead top. May or may not take off when transplanted.
As little time in the bucket as possible, as the little hair-like roots dry out quickly.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peacock

None were out of ground for more than an hour.  All of them had some discoloring.  I've kept them real well watered for the past few days(nature did it today) and used a proven mixture of compost and Bayer tree and shrub protect and feed during the transplant.

Thanks again guys.  Now to get some elm pics up for id.  Haha
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Peacock

The more I look at my tree id book I don't think it's cedar.  Looks more like spruce to my eyes.  Atleast by comparing to the pics in the book.  One or two of the trees I transplanted appears to have some small cones developing now also.
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Jeff

It is definitely not spruce. It would be a ways south of its natural range, but I would say it in a common Juniper.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clww

I agree with Jeff---juniper.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peacock

Should I expect much from them?  How big do they generally get in a yard within a few years?
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Dodgy Loner

It is a juniper - specifically eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana). The reason it doesn't look like the cedar in your books is because you have a picture of juvenile foliage, which is different from the mature foliage. As the trees get older and the growth rate slows down, the leaves will become more scale-like than needle-like.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!