iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

current syp pricing

Started by slider, April 11, 2013, 07:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I am sawing some syp for a customer who is going to sell part of his wood.He asked about pricing.I said 60 cents a bd ft on the boards up to 12 in wide.Some of this wood is 15 inches wide and better and nice.Also what would you tack on for planing one side.I was thinking 15 to 20 cents.I'm in the south.Thanks  al
al glenn

WDH

A 2x6x12 at Lowes is $.58/BF, dried and planed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

...and therein lies the rub. :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I never recommend that landowners fell and saw healthy SYP trees for framing lumber.  There is no way to compete with box stores.

My business comes primarily from landowners with beetle killed SYP that they want to salvage.  There is no market for these trees/logs so sawing is the only option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ohwc

Exactly as stated. It does save money if for personal use, pole barn etc. Or if you are cutting large timbers. But other than that you can not sell at big box store prices. They are pushing out so much volume they can afford to have low prices.

CalebL

I tell customers they are better off buying framing lumber.  They don't usually save any money until you get to 2x10s and 12s. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

slider

these are beetle killed pines and to be used for one in. paneling .a ballpark figure was what he was asking me.I think 60 cent on the 12 and under is fair.As far as the box stores go,when is the last time you saw a 20 inch wide pine board in one.They make some mighty fine wall paneling .MM you and I are on the same page about this dead wood,don't let it go to waste .
al glenn

beenthere

If'n I was putting up wall paneling, I wouldn't want a 20 in wide piece. Too blah.

I go for random widths of 2 - 8", and random lengths with tongue and groove (plus a 3/4" land on the tongue side before the bevel).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

Let me point something out. That 2x6 may well be priced at 1 1/2 x 5 1/2. That is, you are getting that but paying for a full 2x6. That would, by my calculations, put it at .80 cents on a true board foot.

We subscribed to the random lengths and lumber newsletter today. The reason? I had a broker call wanting prices for 2x4 5 ft. But we can cut them 1 1/4 x 3 1/2 by 5 ft. He was willing to pay 1.50 each. I wasn't that interested; we have too much work as it is. So for the fun of it, I priced them at 1.65 each. We would have to put on a night crew for one of the mills to get it done. Semi load every 2 to 3 weeks. Danged if they didn't say it would work. Broker said, that is the same price for SYP. I priced cottonwood. I been wrestling whether to go ahead with it. Trying to get supplies of logs and such nailed down. The price you are talking about seems awfully cheap. I would think 1.00 minimum. Maybe shoot for 1.50 or 2.00 dollars.

The broker warned that if the price of SYP went down, he couldn't pay us that much. So I figure, if the price goes up, I need to up my prices to keep up. Not quite used to doing things like this, but then never saw times like this. Hence ordering the report.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Kansas on April 11, 2013, 03:11:14 PM
Let me point something out. That 2x6 may well be priced at 1 1/2 x 5 1/2. That is, you are getting that but paying for a full 2x6. That would, by my calculations, put it at .80 cents on a true board foot.

Thats what I tell customers, you get more wood, It's not the same.
I can cut 1 1/2x 5 1/2x12' and can beat out the big box store, but most of my customers want full 2x6, the marketing the box stores use will sell the studs to you cheap or at cost and get you when come back for the rest of your stuff, pant, nails, plywood,shingles, ect :D :D

I just try to find the nich, but some times you don't see it coming :D :D

I made a small shed to sell my hardwood stakes

now people want to buy one ,not the stakes the shed, and one guy wants to buy some siding, you can't get one at the big box store :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!