iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a chainsaw....

Started by mrcaptainbob, April 10, 2013, 10:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

An older neighbor asked if there was some easier way for him to start his chainsaws "without pulling his arm from it's socket". He suggested a retro-fit compression relief. I suggested maybe a remote starter, similar to the starting of race car engines. A portable starter that could be held to the flywheel.... We kicked around the possibility that using the flywheel nut could over tighten the flywheel and crack it. Maybe some flywheel mod?

beenthere

How about the easy-start Stihl has?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Hire an assistant. :D :D :D
I'm not sure what brand, but I did see a commercial on TV last weekend. The ad was for a gas-powered string trimmer that had a device that started it, probably some type of flywheel spinner. It reminded me of the F1 and Indy-type race car starters. This trimmer also had a regular pull cord on it as well.
Depending on how serious he's into sawing, there is a 40V cordless chainsaw on the market, I believe made by Oregon.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

What saws does he have? Many of the newer consumer models have an easy start feature which I don't like but it's a personal preference. If he has an old Mac or Homelite maybe it's time to hang it up and go with something more modern. The one saw I approach with trepidation is a Husky 2100.
The problem with using the flywheel nut is that it turns ccw to loosen, same direction as the flywheel. Maybe you could cut a hole in the cover and find a way to chuck the pulley into an electric drill. Don't recommend this approach, just thinking out loud. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on April 10, 2013, 10:56:16 PM
How about the easy-start Stihl has?

^ This.

The Stihl saws with an E in the name have a mechanism where you basically "wind up" the starter, like winding up a spring. Then it releases and kicks the saw over to start it. Means very little force needed, and no chance of the compression kicking back and wrenching an old shoulder. Designed for old folks, ladies and bung shoulders, but if you can't start one of those, you have no business picking up a chainsaw.  :D

He will probably appreciate a new lighter saw as well.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

"The one saw I approach with trepidation is a Husky 2100."  :D

I thought that worthy of repeating because no truer words were ever spoken nor saw ever made that can kick back like that old arm breaker .

On the subject the least expensive fix is a Stihl 460 rescue saw D-handle .

Thank You Sponsors!