iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The shortest "log" I've milled

Started by WoodenHead, April 10, 2013, 08:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

A number of days ago I spoke to a new client (elderly gentleman) who wanted me to mill some short "logs" for him.  He wanted three inch slabs and was wondering if my mill could handle 16" to 18" diameter logs.  I said yes.  He wanted me to stay as much away from the center as possible to take the 3" slabs.  That was fine. 

When he showed up in his car this afternoon, I knew I had not asked enough questions, but we proceeded as if nothing was unusual.  I had some flitches leftover from a bit of morning cutting and used those as a table and a backstop.  The cherry "logs" turned out to be no more than 12" long.  Anyway I sliced them into 3" slabs.  I had to use a few extra bits and pieces to prop up and clamp as I made cuts, but it worked out okay.  My client was very happy.  (He had been turned down by two other sawyers.) 

Here is a picture of one of the "logs" (i.e. it did happen  :D):

Jay C. White Cloud

;)
That was really a good thing you did.  That kind of effort does not go unnoticed.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

bandmiller2

Tough if you charge by the board foot,sometimes the good will makes it worthwile. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Finally slabs that I could handle all day long.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Did he mention what he was doing with the end product?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

A wonderful story about the life and times of a sawyer.

I got a call this afternoon from a potential customer 175 miles away.  It seems that the six or eight 3' "logs" have sentimental value.  I agreed to saw them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Just tell him to put them in the trunk of his car and bring them to you  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Thats how you cut short logs, It's not hard to help people, I here that, he wont do it, or can't be done, I don't have time, good job you did ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scully

From whre I sit these days I would be inclined to do a job like that just because  can ! Good goin ! Old timers need not be questioned about these things they know exactly what they need !
I bleed orange  .

Banjo picker

I have to cut some about that size my my nephew...to use at his wedding...only dif...they will be turned up on end...gona cut some big cookies...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Yup, I sawed cookies for a wedding.

They were used as centerpieces as well as serving trays.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

Must be virus going around, I cut some ERC cookies for a wedding a couple of months ago.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Bill Gaiche

MM, that reminds me of some cookies I cut last week for a fella. His sister was having a 16th birthday and needed some serving trays also. I cut 2" x 3/8" recess holes x 7 in each of the 3 dead hackberry pieces. bg

Banjo picker

I had never heard of this untill Deb came out to the mill with his wish list?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on April 11, 2013, 08:47:31 AM

For the sake of sidetracking this thread... ;D  Will those cookies split/crack in time?

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Short answer, Yes.

I sawed more than they needed, and the Cedar has cracked.  That is Walnut in the center that was dead and very dry.  I will try to remember to look at the extras today and see what they have done.

DR Buck

Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2013, 09:20:41 PM

I got a call this afternoon from a potential customer 175 miles away.  It seems that the six or eight 3' "logs" have sentimental value.  I agreed to saw them.

Did he tell you that he wants them cut into 8ft 2x4s?    :D     

I just finished a job last weekend that had a stack of 3 & 4 foot 12" diameter walnut logs.    Also had one nice 16" diameter crotch piece I milled 12/4 so the customer could make guitar bodies.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

francismilker

Off topic, but how do you go about clamping in a vertical log to make cookies?  I've wanted to do it, just wondering how well they clamp in place. :P
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: JohnM on April 12, 2013, 08:31:54 AM

For the sake of sidetracking this thread... ;D  Will those cookies split/crack in time?

JM

MMMMMMM.....cookies. YUM! digin_2
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

pineywoods

Quote from: francismilker on April 12, 2013, 12:53:23 PM
Off topic, but how do you go about clamping in a vertical log to make cookies?  I've wanted to do it, just wondering how well they clamp in place. :P
]

VEEERRYYY carefully. Things can get real interesting if the clamp comes loose while the blade is halfway through the log...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bogue Chitto

I cut cookies for the school MM so ag class could learn about aging tress.

isawlogs

Quote from: francismilker on April 12, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

it does make life easier if you have a hydraulic clamp, on my lt40, I set the logette on my clamp support beam and close the clamp. On my dads non hydraulic band mill I set three boards on the mill, one to act as a back stop, one to set the loggette on and one to be used to clamp the log in place. He has two manual clamps and by using both I can sandwich the log in place enough to hold it for sawing.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Peter Drouin

Just stand it up, clamp it, and cut slow easy :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: JohnM on April 12, 2013, 08:31:54 AMFor the sake of sidetracking this thread... ;D  Will those cookies split/crack in time? 

The Walnut cookies did check but not in just one place.  There are 3-4 minor checks around the perimeter that go about half way to the pith.

hackberry jake

Ill be getting hitched here shortly and we will have cookie serving trays. I was thinking about getting some stabilizer to soak them in and see if they can hold up without cracking.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Just saw them within about a week of the date and you will be OK.  For trays, ½" thick worked.

WDH

You will be paying more attention to the wood cookies than the ceremony, "Is this pecan ( smiley_devil) or hickory  ???", "I wonder what these would look like in Bodark  ???", or especially, "They should have used hackberry  :)".

:D :D :D

Don't do it Jake.  Stay focused.  Don't let your mind wonder  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

There is a floor at the forestry museum in Jackson Mississippi that is made from pine cookies.  It is really beautiful.   

Banjo picker

I got to get down there and see that...I have heard it was very nice...Banjo

JohnM

Thanks, MM.  :)

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on April 12, 2013, 11:29:06 PM
There is a floor at the forestry museum in Jackson Mississippi that is made from pine cookies.  It is really beautiful.   

That sounds really neat, BC.  Has anyone seen that were ppl do that with pennies on the floor.  Really cool but sorry, life is too short! :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on April 12, 2013, 08:51:56 PM
You will be paying more attention to the wood cookies than the ceremony, "Is this pecan ( smiley_devil) or hickory  ???", "I wonder what these would look like in Bodark  ???", or especially, "They should have used hackberry  :)".

:D :D :D

Don't do it Jake.  Stay focused.  Don't let your mind wonder  ;D.
I thought about bodark, but the little woman said no way. Too yellow. She wants neutral colors. Probably just red oak. Instead of renting a bunch of seats I am going to try and build a bunch of eastern red cedar picnic tables. Then maybe sell them for $100 a piece for honeymoon money. Hackberry would look sweet!  8) and since it has spiral grain it kay not crack as bad.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!