Gonna build a concrete slab for my Lucas...

Started by ayerwood, April 10, 2013, 01:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayerwood

I am going to put in a reinforced concrete slab for my Lucas as it mostly mills at home rather than being mobile too often.  I still have a few issues to straighten out like anchoring/bracing to prevent movement. I am thinking of making the slab twice as wide as the mill setup so I am able to move the sawdust easily with my FEL into a bin.  It will also have extra length on the offload end for room to stack and sticker.  I am thinking around 20x50 ft. 

Anybody done something similar or have a concern about this setup?  Will the long term vibration on concrete put extra wear on the mill or the "feet"?  Maybe I would get some kind of heavy duty rubber matting to put under the end pieces.  Thanks.

Holmes

I just set my mill under a roof last year. I notice a large accumulation of saw dust that I wish I could push over an edge  into a loader to get rid of.  i like the idea of a concrete floor.  Maybe a few, lots, of anchors set in the concrete in many locations so you can fasten the legs and supports to . Or you can drill them in after you pour the concrete.   20 x 50 is a good size to start with. ;D ;D
Think like a farmer.

Seaman

Ayerwood, how did the concrete slab turn out?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

ET

Ayerwood, I also am curious how your concrete pour went and wether you anchored your mill or not. Im currently building my dream barn with a dedicated area for my mill. I would be interested in how things are working out for you.

Would also be interested in other Lucas mill operators and your setups on concrete etc. thanks in advance.
Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ayerwood

Hello ET and Seaman,

Unfortunately I have too many irons in the fire.  Since starting the build of my new shop, and putting a lot of my time into that, the mill shed project has been pushed back.  I currently have my mill running in the warehouse.  Although I'm loving it, this is only temporary.  The mill shed probably won't be started until spring.  I have thought of some anchoring ideas though.  Even on the warehouse pad, I get movement on the concrete from all the vibration.  Not a lot, but it does move. I am thinking of using pieces of u channel anchored in the concrete pad at different spacings for the Lucas' "feet" to slide into.  I am thinking two sets, maybe 3, so I will be able to put on my extensions and stretch when needed.  And I will definitely have plenty of extra space on the sawdust side so it can be easily loaded and moved.  I may even elevate to push sawdust into nearby bin(s) with my FEL.  ET...Hope all is going well with your new shop.  Also, I may have missed it, but do you have a thread started for your barn build?

ET

No I have not started one yet. Im too busy watching the crew. Ive been taking lots of pics and would need to take an entire day to organize. Their is a problem with the trusses (poor wood used) cracked webs and chords lengthwise, boards with worm holes, and maybe 30% chords and webs are slab boards with rounded corners the entire length of the board. Plus lots of large knots. The manufacturer rep coming today at noon. I would welcome anyones advise on thos type wood pcs being used in a truss. By the way they are 60 feet long each. Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.