iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar logs with a bad center

Started by rimshot, April 10, 2013, 07:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

Very few decent sized cedar trees around here are perfect at the butt.  There always seems to be some rot in the very center.  Like the rest of you, I hate to lose a board because it has a rotten spot or streak running through it.  On the other hand, I want to get the most out of my logs.  I usually start at the bottom of a fallen tree and take 16" blocks off the butt section until I get up to a spot where the rot is no more than the size of a tennis ball. I measure my logs from there.  If the bad spot is steadily diminshing as I cut the blocks and I figure it's down Small enough it will be eliminated within within four feet or so might take the first log.   Of course one trys hard to hold the spoliled lumber to a minimum.  People can be fussy when they buy lumber.

Any tips out there to get the most out of your logs for sawing patterns?  i'm talking about
Eastern White Cedar 10-28" but I assume any rules could apply to most all logs.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Dewey

I saw  Northern White Cedar  also.....When I have  logs with center rot I saw the log the way I would want to....  and cut the rot off the boards as I am sawing. When you butt back logs you loose allot of good lumber that you would get otherwise. I don't move my mill and I have an electric saw handy the I trim  the wainy ends and rot off.

ladylake

Right, no sence  in throwing away the outside boards.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

I saw with the bark and turn.  That way, I get the outside boards and discard the rotten center of the log.  I usually get down to a board with only one good side, which depending upon the use, will be OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

My cedar is the same way here. I have some rotten end pieces that I think would make good planters to sell. Stand 3 diffeant lengths on end or could group less or more. These are good size butts pieces too. The first piece of the log,the butt swell, looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redbeard

WRC  dose the same. But the wood is good right up to where the rot starts. So I do the same , saw the boards and trim the rot.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

GAB

I have sawed some shag bark hickory and some cherry with bad or hollow centers as follows: I load the log onto the mill and adjust it so that the top of the log is parallel to the bed.  Then I saw to the rot or hole then rotate 180 degrees and repeat. then rotate 90 degrees and again saw to the rot or hole, then do the last side the same way.  The boards from the last two sides sawed will be tapered or ready for making taperd planters or whatever.  I think MM was saying roughly the same thing however I have never heard of the term he used.  Doesn't mean it is a bad terminology.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tom the Sawyer

Sawing around the decay.  Client wanted to see what I could salvage from this chunk of walnut.  The butt log contained a lot of decay and they cut off a 3.5' section and left it.  He asked for 16/4 slabs if possible, decay on one side was OK.

Milled til it crumbled away... 3 @ 18" wide, 1 @ 14", he was happy.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

mesquite buckeye

Hard to justify one that funky unless it is a custom cut.  If we try to cut mesquite with that little good wood in it, we would lose money on the log, even if it makes some nice lumber. ::)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

rimshot

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 11, 2013, 02:29:19 PM
Sawing around the decay.  Client wanted to see what I could salvage from this chunk of walnut.  The butt log contained a lot of decay and they cut off a 3.5' section and left it.  He asked for 16/4 slabs if possible, decay on one side was OK.
==================

Nice job and thanks for the pics, Tom the Sawyer.  If you can get lumber out of that log that was 90% air I ought to get a few more boards with my logs.  Thanks for the example.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Magicman

Quote from: GAB on April 10, 2013, 12:05:29 PMI think MM was saying roughly the same thing however I have never heard of the term he used.  Doesn't mean it is a bad terminology.
??? Yup, maybe parallel to the bark, or the bark parallel to the bed.  We are all saying the same thing and recovering the most meat from the log.

Heart rot ERC.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

I have seen them rotten , but never that empty.  My first thought was to take about a 1 foot chuck.  Pressure wash the bark off and pressure wash the soft stuff off inside.  Cut some lumber to nail to the back side, put a flat floor in it of some sort and put some cut animals or knick knacks and make a display of some sort and attach it to a wall.  The worst that would happen is a worked piece of firewood.

Or let it dry, stand it upright in a fire ring so air could get under the bottom and build a good fire so it would go up the inside of the log and have a roaring fire come out the top.  It would burn until it toppled.  With a good draft, you can get a neat flame shooting out the top.  Sad thing is that they are not reusable.  We have done heavy cardboard tubes that way.  Fun.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

CalebL

Quote from: Magicman on April 11, 2013, 04:09:36 PM
Quote from: GAB on April 10, 2013, 12:05:29 PMI think MM was saying roughly the same thing however I have never heard of the term he used.  Doesn't mean it is a bad terminology.
??? Yup, maybe parallel to the bark, or the bark parallel to the bed.  We are all saying the same thing and recovering the most meat from the log.

Heart rot ERC.   :o

What did you end up doing with that?
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

isawlogs

I saw a lot of EWC also and I do cut back on some but not very often, I rather cut an eight foot log at the stump end with some rot and saw around it then cut 16'' blocks. I find more return on boards then on kindking  ;)

Now certain logs need be renamed culverts, Magig, those on that trailer would be prime candidates for a rename tag.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

Or Cambodian water mains. Too big to be bamboo.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

CalebL

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

beenthere

Those make good coolers at a picnic, or like a Pig Roast (ala 2005). Maybe even for some ol bleau  :o

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Now the odds that there could be some Bleu at the piggy roast edition 2013 are working there way upwards.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rimshot

Great pictures Majic .  I've seen bear den up in logs with rotten centers smaller than that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D.  Thanks for the post.

rimshot

GAB

CalebL: If your question was directed at me - On the cherry I got some very nice clear 1" boards out of what the customer thought was firewood.  On the shag bark hickory I had some good lumber but definitely not clear stuff.  The hollow center went into firewood that did not need splitting to dry.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Quote from: CalebL on April 11, 2013, 04:31:57 PMWhat did you end up doing with that?
Nothing.  Doing something always takes time, and my time has a way of getting used elsewhere.   :-\

They are still exactly where I unloaded them.

Joe Lallande

When I cut a cedar with rot in the center, I use a 4' piece of rebar to probe the inside of the log until it stops at solid wood.  I then mark the spot the rebar stopped and cut off this section before I continue cutting my lengths.

francismilker

Quote from: Magicman on April 11, 2013, 08:13:37 PM
Quote from: CalebL on April 11, 2013, 04:31:57 PMWhat did you end up doing with that?
Nothing.  Doing something always takes time, and my time has a way of getting used elsewhere.   :-\

They are still exactly where I unloaded them.

MM,
Around these parts those hollow cedar logs have value in cutting them into about 16" "flower pots" and putting a plywood bottom on them.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

ST Ranch

For me if it is butt rot [more of a cone shape] I will buck the log a bit longer to compensate for the length of rot [say 10 or 12 feet - I do not like to inventory lumber less than 8 feet long, mill as usual and trim off the rotten board ends.
If the rot runs more than 8 feet [cylinder thru rot] I will trim till I get a minimum 5 inch outer shell, split the log into quartrers and then quarter saw the outer shell.
However - I do like francismilker's idea to cut them into flower pots - going to try a couple and see how they do.

Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

clww

I've made a number of bird houses out of hollow logs/branches. Old timers would also use them for bee gums, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!