iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A frustrating day sawing

Started by kelLOGg, April 10, 2013, 06:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have a frequent customer who has me cut old warehouse pine beams on a regular basis for sale to builders and architects. Yesterday's job was to cut the 1" painted face off of beams about 16 x 16 and it was the 1" painted face his customer wanted. He was going to partially sand blast the loose paint to get the look he wanted and build lightweight fake beams. (It gets weirder) I told my customer I could do that IF the beams have no twist. We put the beams on the mill and sure enough they rocked showing about ¼ to ½ " or more twist. He said to cut them so that I get 1" thickness at the thinnest point and he would plane them to 1". I told him that planning would preserve the contour so there would still be twist in them. He tried to contact his customer but he was unavailable. I sawed them anyway, my customer was pleased but I would not want to be the recipient of these boards. The residual beams were beautiful but they will go to another buyer.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scully

I think you did good ! heres the deal ,if the guy is useing them to build fake box beams he should be able to incorperate some of the twist for a more authentic look ! Sawing reclaimed lumber is something I have realy wanted to try ! Besides the beams you were left with looked nice ? Win Win ! Neet stuff  IMHO !
I bleed orange  .

WDH

I bet that the old paint has lead in it.  That could create some issues with contamination.  I would not want loose lead paint flaking off in my house.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Axe Handle Hound

If he was going to glue them back into hollow beams I wouldn't worry too much about the twist.  A wide board with a 1/2" of twist can be wrangled back into position with a few clamps and glue (and maybe a screw or two). 

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WDH on April 10, 2013, 08:14:00 AM
I bet that the old paint has lead in it.  That could create some issues with contamination.  I would not want loose lead paint flaking off in my house.

x2
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tree Feller

Bob, I think you did exactly what was ethical and professional. You advised the customer about potential problems with the end use before giving them exactly what was requested.

Danny, I think the hazards of lead paint are greatly exaggerated. I grew up in a house that had lead paint and look how I turned out.   smiley_whacko
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

redbeard

Bob I save all the skins from straight out twists n bows on the reclaimed beams. People love that flawed character wood. Another mans junk is someone else's treasure.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kelLOGg

Thanks for the positive spin on this. Maybe all will be satisfied in the end afterall. That's encouraging. It's all personal preference but I sure don't see treasure in the outer painted 1"; underneath is where the beauty is to me. ::)

I'm sure it was leaded paint. These beams were probably 100 yo.

Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fat olde elf

Hey Bob !!
I always enjoy your posts.  How do you manage to get so many interesting and problematical jobs?  Just lucky ?  I think you must work at it. Keep them coming...Paul
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

r.man

Trouble just follows some people around.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

5quarter

Bob...I sympathize with you...If I didn't have any problematic saw jobs, I would have no saw jobs.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kelLOGg

Quote from: 5quarter on April 12, 2013, 08:09:07 AM
Bob...I sympathize with you...If I didn't have any problematic saw jobs, I would have no saw jobs.  ;)

Well put, 5Q.
Bob

thecfarm

As you said,"my cutomer was pleased" that is all that matters and cash in hand as you leave.  ;D   I have been in one of those old warehouses. ALOT of wood was used. The one I was in,some of the uprights was round.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!