iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The cantlever designed mill

Started by JimFX, April 10, 2013, 12:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimFX

I have been reading about different mill designs and some say the cantilever style of the Wood Mizer is prone to fluctuations in board thickness. While I can see in theory this may be a possibility I am wondering if this actually plays out in actual use?

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JustinW_NZ

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Brad_S.

I am not at all a WM fan and think a number of their design features perform poorly but the cantilever head is not one of them.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

slider

I don't know where you are reading this but like the others have said it just ain't so.If it takes false information to sell their product then look somewhere else.
al glenn

bandmiller2

Faulting the cantilever design is like telling the bumblebee he can't fly.I would add though if you are building a bandmill avoid that design,it adds greatly to the problems.Watching the cantilever head enter a log you can see it deflect down slightly but it does the same each cut and doesn't affect the product.WM is the industry leader they must be doing something right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

There are 4 support rollers on a WM cantilever sawmill which supports the sawhead very securely.  The cantilever design opens everything up and allows easy access to the lumber and flitches by the off bearer as well as the sawyer.  Many times I will slide them off and onto the loader at the end of a cut.

I slightly disagree with bandmiller2's statement in that the deflection takes place when the clutch is energizer and is caused by centrifugal force, and yes, it does the same each time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

:D :D...Malarkey is one of those words that my son thinks is a funny word. every time I say it, he starts giggling under his breath. :)

Jimfx...good question. the short answer is no. it is at least as accurate and reliable as  the other major mill builders. Not only is the design well proven, but the monorail system eliminates the loader-side posts, which can be a limiting factor in what a four post designed saw can cut. A real benefit if you plan on doing alot of mobile sawing. While I have never owned a WM, I have ran them. They are a very well engineered tool and I would recommend them as much as I would a Cooks, TK or a baker.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

Malarkey is good.  My family laughs when I use the word "asinine".  I think that it is a good stupid word.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

Come over and I'll peal a 1/4 " thick board off a cant for you with my 40 take a good look at it and you tell me ! If WM mills were prone to that sort of thing I don't imagine they would still be sellin many . There are a million factors that can cause board wave and inconsistantcy but the WM head desighn aint one of them !
I bleed orange  .

Chuck White

Absolutely not true.

When the blade enters the log or cant, the sawhead deflects down approximately 1/16 inch.

It's supposed to, that's why it is part of the alignment procedure!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ronwood

A good sharp blade and good mill maintenance will help you to cut good boards no matter what mill you have.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

pineywoods

Folks who bad mouth the cantilever design fall into 2 groups.
1. They have never run 1
2. Have some other axe to grind.

My 18 year old wm will consistently cut 12 inch wide 1/16 inch thick boards with NO waves.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Well spoken Ron!

Piney's comment is very true!

I've told customers the very same thing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CalebL

Quote from: JimFX on April 10, 2013, 12:11:24 AM
I have been reading about different mill designs and some say the cantilever style of the Wood Mizer is prone to fluctuations in board thickness. While I can see in theory this may be a possibility I am wondering if this actually plays out in actual use?

My LT40 has fluctuations of board thickness all the time.  It's caused by the idiot behind the controls forgetting to lower one of the toe boards.   :D
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

francismilker

I like the cantilever design so much I wish my LT-10 had it.  When shopping for the last few years for a small mill I always noticed in the sales promotions videos that all the other companies always jumped on the "we build a strong, four post head" bandwagon at the very first as a sales pitch.  What I really heard was, "we didn't think of it first and get a patent on it so we cant use it". 

I like the design and others would too if they ever seen a sawyer use it to whittle down a way too big log slab at a time until it would fit on the mill deck.  If we have a four post head, we're limited absolutely to what will fit between the posts unless we want to spend our day with a chainsaw taking part of the log off.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

flyboy16101

Quote from: CalebL on April 10, 2013, 10:41:28 AM
Quote from: JimFX on April 10, 2013, 12:11:24 AM

My LT40 has fluctuations of board thickness all the time.  It's caused by the idiot behind the controls forgetting to lower one of the toe boards.   :D
This has been the source of 98% of the problems I have with my lt28 the 2% is usually done by the off bearer. :embarassed:
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Ianab

At first glance I can see why people might think it was less accurate.  The saw does seem to "bounce" a bit. But when it's engaged in the log and cutting it seems totally steady, and that's when it matters.

I don't know how many thousand mills WM have made with that cantilever design. If it actually caused problems you would think one of the owners might have noticed by now?  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodmills1

and you should see the oversized stuff you can hack up with a MIZER

Malarky   

I also like shenanegins  and balderdash
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

roghair

I think the OP is answered very clearly
Quote from: Ianab on April 10, 2013, 03:45:26 PM

I don't know how many thousand mills WM have made with that cantilever design. If it actually caused problems you would think one of the owners might have noticed by now?  :D
Ian

The value of this thread for me is I learned 4 new words, although I am not sure if I will remember them tomorrow
built a sawmill

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

Being honest the canilever cuts just fine but I think requires more maintance to keep everything level as the 4 poster just rides on 4 bearings that don't wear out vey often.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JimFX

Well I guess it was a bunch of poppycock .... : )

I had to ask ... sometimes people put up with small flaws because the benefits outweigh them.
Apparently that is not the case here ...
Thanks to all who replied.

Dave Shepard

In 700 hours, the only time I have had to adjust anything related to the head to bed alignment is when I put the bed extension on. The head rides on that one monorail, you don't have to worry about torsioning of two rails. It does look like the head flops around sometimes, especially if you happen to stuff it into one of the rubber bumpers, ::) but it is a non-issue. If a WM is set up according to the manual, any sawing problems are going to come from some other area, most likely operator error. We've all made some wavy lumber, you just have to figure out what it is from. Dull band, half-frozen log, knots, sawing too fast etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!