iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

second day with stellite teeth

Started by lyle niemi, April 09, 2013, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

and they are still cutting like they are new, Im thinking they are worth the exrra money??? Only time will tell

bandmiller2

Lyle,how are you going to sharpen them when their dull.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 09, 2013, 08:35:59 PM
Lyle,how are you going to sharpen them when their dull.?? Frank C.
gonna cut that log when I come to it..lol

oakiemac

I use stellite teeth and I can sharpen them using a regular grinding wheel.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

lyle niemi

Quote from: oakiemac on April 09, 2013, 08:54:16 PM
I use stellite teeth and I can sharpen them using a regular grinding wheel.
Yep, the fella that sold me the teeth told me the same thing, if they were carbide I would have to use a dimond disc

Bibbyman

I've sharpened them on the CBN grinder.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Banjo picker

Got any idea of how many board feet you have cut?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Banjo picker on April 09, 2013, 09:53:18 PM
Got any idea of how many board feet you have cut?  Banjo
Nope, not a clue

hackberry jake

Im pretty sure lyle is talking about his circle mill. Just sounded like we were talking about bands too. What kind of teeth were you using before lyle?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

lyle niemi

haywire woodlot

I used stellite coated bits on my old mobile dimension mill. Something else would usually breakdown before the they needed any attention. The idea was that the stellite would hold an edge, but the malleable steel beneath it would prevent the bit from shattering if it struck metal or rock. They did about 1500-2000 feet before needing a touch up.
Dave

lyle niemi

did another 6 hours of steady sawing today and the teeth are still like new. Im lovin it!

bandmiller2

The guys are right a regular grinding wheel will touch up stellite.I sharpen stellite tipped bands for a local timber framer on my Cats claw with the regular wheel.I would say a diamond grit file could also turn the trick if you don't own a jockey. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Lyle your on another good option stellite would be #2 on my list for bits for run time and i do like them because you can use a regular stone to sharpen what did they charge you for a box of bits ? when i tried them about 10yrs ago  they stung me about $12 a tooth that Land of OZ pricing for you but I was able to go down and grab them as I was in a bind for bits and I do not like to run out of bits these days as I did go back to the tct strait away  ;)

I reckon you will get a good run outa them mate on the logs you are sawing as I was in some dirty stuff when i tried them and got a great run outa them Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chis
4TH Generation Timbergetter

lyle niemi

Hi chris, I think Im paying 6 bucks per tooth, I havnt got the bill yet...lol I would of went carbide but I dont have a jockey grinder yet, BTW...Im looking for a good used jockey grinder...lol

Thank You Sponsors!