iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade ATV type log arches?

Started by Vance in AK, April 09, 2013, 05:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vance in AK

Anyone have a set of plans?  I am thinking about building one in the future.
Have pictures you can post of homemade units?
Thanks

clww

Go up to the top of the page and type in "Log Arch" in the SEARCH box. Lots of posts will come up when you click there. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Right, as clww suggests, there have been a steady run of threads on DIY arches over the years.
Or maybe you have done that already, and have some specific sizes in mind?

What materials do you have available to build an arch?  What about access to welding capabilities, either your own or someone nearby? Junk yard close? Or going for new ?

Where to start. That be the question. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scouter Joe

There is a set of plans for a log hauler in the september/october edition of the Mother Earth News . Old copies may be available in a library or mabye on line . the plans are pretty  detailed and well thought out . scouter Joe

John Mc

Quote from: scouter Joe on April 10, 2013, 06:09:17 AM
There is a set of plans for a log hauler in the september/october edition of the Mother Earth News.

Is this what you were talking about, Joe?
Mother Earth News Log Hauler

This was from their Sept/Oct 1985 issue. I couldn't find anything more recent.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

scouter Joe

Yes . That is the article . I saw one that was made using this plan and it really turned out nice . The fellow that built it has moved away so I don't have any pictures . scouter Joe

Vance in AK

Thanks guys!
I did use the search b ox, but you get quite a few results that really aren't relevant so I was being lazy!

John Mc

Quote from: Vance in AK on April 10, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
I did use the search box, but you get quite a few results that really aren't relevant so I was being lazy!

Waiting for someone else to do the search for you? (I have to admit, I've resorted to that myself a couple of times... especially when I just can't seem to come up with the right search terms.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Vance in AK

Quote from: John Mc on April 10, 2013, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: Vance in AK on April 10, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
I did use the search box, but you get quite a few results that really aren't relevant so I was being lazy!

Waiting for someone else to do the search for you? (I have to admit, I've resorted to that myself a couple of times... especially when I just can't seem to come up with the right search terms.)

;D
Not really wanting anyone else to do thesearch for me just hoping to narrow the field of relevance!

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

justallan1

Onthesauk, are those atv tires on yours? If so, how big of a log can you pick up without them smashing down?
Thanks.

Onthesauk

They're ATV tires but bump up the pressure a little, the ATV is at 4 lbs, run the arch at 12.  I have hauled 60 -70 foot alders with it.  My property is all up and down so makes this style a little safer since when you stop or back up the log drops to the ground.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Vance in AK

Quote from: Onthesauk on April 11, 2013, 08:57:39 PM
From my gallery:

Beautiful little unit!  That's much like what I had in mind.  Love the nerfbars & practical size.
Thanks for posting this.
Some questions.
How do you lift the logs?
What are the tubing deminsions?
Do you have any approx measurements I might use as a starting point?
Did you scavenge hubs or are new hubs that mount easily available somewhere?  I assume they are since many folks make ATV trailers with them.

Onthesauk

Homemade but I didn't make it, found it used.  And think the hubs are made from an older Dodge minvan, have seen them used on smaller trailers too.

I can back it up to a log, hook a chain around it and as the arch moves forward the hook slides up the incline and pulls the log front off the ground.  Designed so that if it slides far enough, it settles in on the little top shelf and will hold it there and has hooks if you wanted to lock it up there.

If making from scratch I would make sure it's big enough.  This one is big enough to fit on my tractor and would allow you to hook a hand arch under the other end and move it off the ground.  The flip side is that I can move it by hand and get into the brush with it, sometimes to back in with the ATV.  Just have to decide what you're looking for.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Vance in AK

Quote from: Onthesauk on April 12, 2013, 12:45:10 PM
Homemade but I didn't make it, found it used.  And think the hubs are made from an older Dodge minvan, have seen them used on smaller trailers too.

I can back it up to a log, hook a chain around it and as the arch moves forward the hook slides up the incline and pulls the log front off the ground.  Designed so that if it slides far enough, it settles in on the little top shelf and will hold it there and has hooks if you wanted to lock it up there.

If making from scratch I would make sure it's big enough.  This one is big enough to fit on my tractor and would allow you to hook a hand arch under the other end and move it off the ground.  The flip side is that I can move it by hand and get into the brush with it, sometimes to back in with the ATV.  Just have to decide what you're looking for.

The size looks about ideal for what I am thinking.

Now I'm not trying to be molevelent, I'm just kinda slow( ;D) but I'm having a hard time understanding how you are lifting the log into the arch from your description & the picture.  What incline does the hook slide up, (what hook?), what makes the hook slide, & what shelf does it rest on (or do you mean against the bottom of the upper cross bar?)?
Thanks again for your input & patience!

beenthere

Vance
Look at the angle brace from the hitch up to the top of the arch above the wheels.

Visualize chaining the log to that brace up close to the ATV hitch, and then driving forward. The chain will slide up that brace and raise the log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

I believe he's got a slider that goes on the "ridge pole" running from near the ball hitch up to the top of the arch. You hook the choker on the the slider. If the log is on the ground, when you pull ahead with the ATV, the slider rides up the ridge pole, lifting the log as you pull.

The beauty of this design, especially when used with a lighter vehicle like an ATV, it that when you hit the brakes, if the log tries to keep going, it will push the slider forward, lowering the log to the ground -- it's kind of like using the log as a surge brake.

John Mc

The "shelf" is that little bit of a level spot on the ridge pole just before it joins the top of the arch. This helps keep the log from sliding back down unless you really want it to.

Vance in AK

Thanks guys.
You guys obviously "get it", but it's still going over my head :-\  I've skidded a lot of logs with big machines, rigged a few lines for pulling, & pretty much always been able to figure out how to make stuff work but I guess my brain is on hold this morning!  Maybe just 'cause I've never seen one rigged like you are talking.
I must need video (at least pics!) this morning to get it in gear :D

trapper

dosent norwood make one similar to that?  They may have a video.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Vance in AK

Thanks Trapper.  Looked at the Norwood video & now it makes sense ;)

Onthesauk

Thanks, These guys can describe it better then I.  :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Vance in AK

Quote from: Onthesauk on April 12, 2013, 09:02:13 PM
Thanks, These guys can describe it better then I.  :)

Your description was fine,my brain just wasn't working!  I needed video to get it through my thick skull ::)

trapper

Thats why I posted.  I also suffer from the thick skull symdrom and need a picture.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Vance in AK

Quote from: trapper on April 13, 2013, 01:14:23 PM
Thats why I posted.  I also suffer from the thick skull symdrom and need a picture.

Much appreciated!!!

Thank You Sponsors!