iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birdseye Cedar?

Started by Mountain State Farm, April 09, 2013, 04:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain State Farm

The whole log was like this. Should make a pretty chest.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

Jeff

It should be pretty for sure, but I'd not call those eyes. I'd call them pin knots.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mountain State Farm

Thanks Jeff, I was just joking with the title. I know what they are.

Around here we don't see many cedars without lots of big knots.

I have read, (I think here somewhere) of people that trim the branches from cedar as they grow. If the boards from those trees look like this, maybe I should start pruning.   

Magicman

Cedar trees grow mighty slow.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodkiller

Call it what it is...PERDY! ;D

Peter Drouin

Nice wood, we don't have that stuff around here  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scully

I would build a big upright piece out of that ! Fantastic looking stuff !
I bleed orange  .

Okrafarmer

A lot of my cedars have that on the very inner wood, like the inner 3 inches of a butt log, for instance. I believe these are the knots from when the tree was a little whippersnapper and a had a lot of tiny branches growing off the sapling. As the tree got bigger, the tree either was pruned, or else self-pruned, and all those little knots are visible. I'm glad cedar insides hold together better than hardwood juvenile wood. If it doesn't rot standing up, that is. . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

okmulch

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

1woodguy

Have to agree with 
In some areas!
   Around here seems to grow quick it's hard to believe the cedars here compared to ten or fifteen years ago

it's still my favorite wood
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Okrafarmer

Here they can grow fast or slow, it just depends on their surrounds. Bottom-dwelling cedars around here will often have 10 or more rings per inch, but lawn-grown cedars may have 3-5 rings per inch.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Mountain State Farm

Little whippersnapper, good one. Okra, I think you are right about surroundings. Competition also seems to plays a role in growth rate.

Thank's Scully, you may be right, I need a gun cabinet.

That is a shame Peter, ERC is one of my favorites.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: okmulch on April 09, 2013, 10:27:05 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 09, 2013, 08:34:56 PM
Cedar trees grow mighty slow.  :-\
In some areas.

Ours in MO grow mighty fast if they have room and sun. Mighty slow buried under hardwoods... :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

I have seen what I thougbt was birdseye cedar quite a few times. The trunk will have a disrupted ring of growth around it almost looks like where a fence might have been, but I think it is just where the tree heals itself after a woodpecker attack. One time it was actually a fence. You can't win them all
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Slow and fast are relative terms based upon the growth rate of the surrounding trees.  In my area compared with SYP and Oak, they are slow.  At the moment, I can not think of any species that is slower growing here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mountain State Farm

That's interesting Magic. Here in WV they are considered by farmers to be a nuisance. They grow so fast here that left unchecked they will take over fields and fence lines in a few years. They seem to grow even faster in poor soil. I love milling and working with cedar and I took your advice and bought me a couple of those good mask, (they do help) but I still have to limit my sawdust exposure due to cedar allergies. Can't let a few eyes swollen shut and stopped up sinuses slow me down.

An oldtimer once told me to keep cedars far away from my orchard because of a fungus that transfers to apples. Not sure if it's true but I did it.

turkeycreek

That is true about the fungus. It is called cedar apple rust. Caused by the galls that are on the cedars.
HM126 Sawmill

Magicman

I have heard old folks say that "by the time a Cedar tree got tall enough to cast a shadow on a grave, you would be in it".   smiley_skull

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

okmulch

I have seen cedar trees here in Oklahoma have a 3/4 inch growth ring. Now that is putting on some wood!
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

mesquite buckeye

That is a happy tree. Soon, you will be rich! ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

Mill 'em up boys, that's what they're for!

SwampDonkey

Very nice looking cedar lumber.  :)

Our northern white grows pretty good on good soil and open sky. In typical swamp though it is very slow grown, 140 years and you get about 12" cedar. In real wet swamp a lot smaller and a lot of defect and sweep.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

francismilker

Quote from: okmulch on April 11, 2013, 06:51:42 PM
I have seen cedar trees here in Oklahoma have a 3/4 inch growth ring. Now that is putting on some wood!

Seen the same thing myself.  I've got some trees that I limbed up in 2003 as 4" saplings that are ready to mill today if I cut them. 

They're so fast growing and such a nuisance here in OK, the state Ag dept. is offering relief for farmers to remove them due to the amount of water they pull out of the soil.

"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

mesquite buckeye

And since you trimmed them up, now they will produce clear lumber outside the 4 inch central cylinder. Wouldn't that be worth a little extra and be more useful for making things???? ??? 8) ???

Love that cedar. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!