iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pretty Poplar

Started by bikerbob, April 09, 2013, 09:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikerbob

Sawed some pretty poplar this weekend. The logs were dark on the ends and water ran out of them for three days after being cut. I know, without pics, it didn't happen!

30' Grizzly 30, Cat D4, Ford 4500 TLB, JD 820

thecfarm

They look kinda thin,3/8-½?? What are they going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPD748

Man, those are nice boards BB! Nice mill shed too.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Jay C. White Cloud

I just love that wood...if all I got to frame in was mostly Yellow Poplar, it would be just fine by me.  What are you gong to use it for?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

bikerbob

Sawing them for a customer. Must be the angle of the pic, but they are 1" thick.

thecfarm

I guess I "saw" them wrong.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mountain State Farm

Hey Bob,

Nice boards, I bet the customer was happy with them. What made the end of those logs turn dark?

Shed looks great. Gotta get over there to see you soon.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

44woody

i have not cut any of them yet how did they looks realy nice

roghair

very nice boards with all the colors and flames; wish I had some logs like that.

On the second pic I see some scratches every half inch or so. Is there a tooth with the wrong set or am I wrong and is it normal?
built a sawmill

bikerbob

Yea MSF, you need to come over. I have no idea what caused the log ends to turn black. I got several trees from my new neighbor and they all came out of the yard around the house, but just the logs out of one tree turned black on the ends. It was a new band and yes, Roghair, it does appear to have a tooth out of set. I normally check the set on new bands but that day it was getting late and I had sawed alomst 1000 feet by myself, so it didn't get checked.

roghair

How do you check the set; do you need a setter to check or is there an other way to do that?
built a sawmill

Tree Feller

That's some pretty lumber and I REALLY like that saw shed.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

roghair

Thx Pineywoods, I'm on steep learning curve here. I also saw the 'Pineywoods hydraulic arms', now the pineywoods setter. Do you also have a pineywoods sharper/grinder (want to build one next winter)
built a sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!